Register

Topic-icon Green house goes up

• Thank you received: 441
5 years 9 months ago #35511 by Stikkibeek

Yay! the first frame for the first of two greenhouses is almost complete today. Spent the last couple of days making up the giant Mechano set into sides/ends and today it got bolted together on its base. Just a few million bits still to add (bracing/louvres/doors/vents) and then there's the glass. Hopefully I will be using it by the weekend. It will be mainly small stuff and propagating.
With this experience, putting up the second, much bigger greenhouse should be a doddle. Right? And just in time to transplant the first of my summer crop. :p

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20
5 years 9 months ago #465201 by Blueberry

:D Jealous!! :D :) [;)] I so want a large one - or two[8D]

good on you, Stikki - and we'll want pictures - lots of them :)

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

• Thank you received: 12
5 years 9 months ago #465224 by stephclark

laffing here stikkibeek.. we did a 'kitset' glass house a couple of years ago.. we still have bits left over in bags.. goodness knows where they were supposed to be used :D ..
but it is sooo good having a greenhouse.. bring on the tomatoes

• Thank you received: 208
5 years 9 months ago #465226 by kate

I want one too but have to have a garden first, not a building site....[;)]

Web Goddess

5 years 9 months ago #465237 by Stikkibeek

Kate;467313 wrote: I want one too but have to have a garden first, not a building site....[;)]

Ha! Kate, there is a garden of sorts here, but, exposed, gluggy mud now and not user friendly for the winter. We grew some good potatoes in it last summer, but the pukekos did major damage to the sweet corn. The raised garden will go in last, as it will take a bit to build it on the slope the building site left us with. I plan to put cloche hoops on the raised garden which will take bird netting to keep the pukes out, and plastic for winter use.

Where the potatoes were last year, needs some serious attention with compost, sawdust, sand, and any fibrous matter I can get hold of, to improve both drainage and friability. I also noticed there is a number 1 pesky twitch in it, so that needs dealing to.

• Thank you received: 25
5 years 9 months ago #465240 by Belle Bosse

Stikkibeek;467277 wrote: Yay! the first frame for the first of two greenhouses is almost complete today. Spent the last couple of days making up the giant Mechano set into sides/ends and today it got bolted together on its base. Just a few million bits still to add (bracing/louvres/doors/vents) and then there's the glass. Hopefully I will be using it by the weekend. It will be mainly small stuff and propagating.
With this experience, putting up the second, much bigger greenhouse should be a doddle. Right? And just in time to transplant the first of my summer crop. :p

LOL, I love your optimism Stikkibeek, but yes, the experience of the first greenhouse does make the 2nd one easier to do...

except; we are pulling down glasshouse #2: 60m in length and 1,000 sq/m and its just as challenging as the first! But we have learned how to handle the glass without breaking as many panes as glasshouse #1: 37m length 600sq/m.

If you can, get yourself a new pair of textured rubber palmed (red/black) gardening gloves for handling the glass sheets. So far they have proved best for glass handling.
Dont work bare handed. Thick leather gloves are ok for carrying, but you dont have the tactile feel needed if you have to do fiddly stuff like setting tacks, screws or fastenings in place.
Wet glass is slippery.
Windy weather is best avoided. Last Sunday it got too risky with wind gusting to 44 km/hr. We had to quit as the timber frame roof was pulsing up and down and loose glass was blown off the roof. You dont want to be near sliding glass that's coming down!
Stacking glass... if there is the slightest uneven surface, it will crack the sheet resting against it. Limit the number of sheets to a stack if dealing with uneven surfaces. Lying glass flat isnt such a good idea either... the bottom ones give way. If its windy, stack the glass with the wind blowing it against the support rather than off it...:o

But, for all that... Congratulations on your greenhouse. I hope you have years of great fun wth it!

I cant wait to get our's relocated and up!

• Thank you received: 86
5 years 9 months ago #465260 by max2

What brand did you buy Stikki? I did the rounds at fielddays and decided on one, Hubby after seeing the price has decided he will build me one instead.... :) which he is quite capable of doing so, its just on the list of other ''to dos''.

5 years 9 months ago #465279 by Stikkibeek

Good advice BB. It's not the first green house I have owned though. We started out with an old Christie which we bought for a song out of the old trade and exchange. It was mostly in good condition except for where a bag of super had been spilt on the galvanised metal. Here the galvanizing had corroded, so for the same price as the green house, OH got it hot dipped galvanized and it came out like new. We later bought another Christie of the same size and with some engineering ingenuity, OH made our existing one twice as long, with doors at each end. Sadly, we lost ownership of that one last January when our sale became final.
So, I have lost a whole growing season and really looking forward to having green houses again. We settled on Trulux because we liked the safety glass aspect/automatic openers and it is much easier to attach the glass than the old Christie one was.
One thing we discovered today though, was an amendment to the old adage "measure twice, cut once".
Yesterday, OH tightened the main frame, then decided he had the screws not quite right on same of the supports. You cannot take them off again once they are tightened. Much better to go get some more screws, than try to rescue a few in the wrong place. The stainless steel threads have a mind of their own and apparently lock tight. The hex shaped screw top locks itself into the slot into which it fits and you cannot remove it. Anyway we resolved the problem and made some progress today.
Swaggie, my OH could also be capable of building one, but there are so many jobs crying out for attention here (Almost no maintenance on this place in 23 years) that we decided we simply didn't have the time to start from nothing, so a kitset it is.
And yes, fairly expensive, but provision was made for it.

5 years 9 months ago #465664 by Stikkibeek

#1 is now complete. Just have to add a bit more soil and we will be underway. #2 has begun. Both ends are now assembled. Once the sides are done we can put up the frame. I love the way the glass goes into the frame. So much easier than the old S clips we had to make to hold the glass. I have washed out the seed boxes and trays ready to go. Now I just have to find all that seed I stored somewhere which I hope mice haven't found!

5 years 8 months ago #465883 by Belle Bosse

Great news that the first green house is ready for use Stikkibeek! I hope you do find your seed safely tucked away and ready to grow. Good Luck!

5 years 8 months ago #465899 by Stikkibeek

Not the best news on the seed. Some of it at least had got relegated to a place I would never have put it and it has got damp and grown white fungus. That's the trouble when there are many hands to help with a the big shift we had. I lost track of a lot of stuff. (Even the mice have left it alone) Some of it is irreplaceable heritage seed, so I hope I can find the rest of it, in the vain hope that it is in a safer place.
#2 frame is started. Ends and sides are now installed on their base. OH will start the fiddly bits this afternoon. ie roof struts, window frames, roof centre pole, stays, cross members.......Oh the list goes on. Going to be a slightly bigger job on this one, due to the much bigger size, but have learned a lot on the first one, so we can avoid the pitfalls we encountered on the first.
Best entertainment yesterday was watching the auto vents open and close as the sun came out or hid behind clouds.

5 years 8 months ago #465902 by Belle Bosse

Oh, NO!! Sorry to hear about your Heritage seeds getting damp. How frustrating! Pity they werent in a sealed waterproof container of some sort.

That is the problem with moving... even when you do the shift on your own... we have done a fair bit of relocating in the last 5 yrs and things always seem to get "lost" even though the items made the move. They are here somewhere...

lol... that would have been entertaining watching the vents open and close on their own. All you need is Swan Lake ballet music to go with it. Beautiful day it was too.

• Thank you received: 5
5 years 8 months ago #465993 by RichardW

You wont know yourself Stikkibeek once its all up and running,a greenhouse is really worth there weight in gold

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

5 years 8 months ago #466050 by Stikkibeek

Almost finished. Second frame up on Friday. Roof braces, shelves and louvres up on Saturday. Almost all glass up today. Just the front apex to do and the doors and some internal stuff which includes the vents and their self openers. #1 well underway with propagating. Yippeeeeee!

5 years 8 months ago #466370 by Stikkibeek

#2 ready to go. Only door stoppers to put on, and downpipes and it's all done. I will put some flagstones in for between rows, but need to hoe up the ground inside again as treading all over it and using the step ladder in there to put up the roof glass, has packed the soil down a lot. Also, one of the cats had the audacity to think that we had built it an all weather warm sunny litter tray, so I will have to put a stop to that!

Can't wait until I have beans cucumbers and tomatoes in there, and will have to rebuild the self watering hydroponic tubes to put on the shelf.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.