Register

Topic-icon Official seed box thread

• Thank you received: 22
2 years 5 months ago #527752 by kate28

Are any of the seedboxes still travelling around or is it on hold? I saved some seed from earlier in the year when I last had it and planted various things a few weeks ago. We had mixed results, the same seed that I had tried earlier didnt come up at all so I am wondering if it was just too old (onions, lettuce, pak choi, calendula) The hairloom tomatoes had mixed results, half of what I planted germinated & is growing well. I have had success with one carob tree out of the two I sewed and a couple Albezia Silk trees. I was quite excited to see they germinated & are doing well as wasnt expecting anything to come from them.
We finally erected our glasshouse 6 weeks ago that I inherited when my Nan passed 18months ago. We have built in gardens inside and space for seedling racks. Everything we planted inside is doing so well and it is so good to have somewhere for seedlings out of the toddlers reach - no more kitchen window sills looking like a garden center!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4
2 years 4 months ago #527886 by Olivia

Hi Kate,
I don't know where the seed boxes are at the moment. I'm not planning to join in again until autumn/winter.
The seeds I took out of the last seed box had a pretty good germination rate. Those that didn't germinate came with a warning that they were old seed.

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.

• Thank you received: 22
2 years 2 months ago #530089 by kate28

Any update on when the seed boxes will be available? Have now got a glasshouse and 10m x4m tunnel house set up

• Thank you received: 49
2 years 2 months ago #530103 by spark

RichardW wrote: [SNIP]
What if each person put in a new moisture absorbent pad in each time its sent on???

Some moisture absorbers (silica gel) can be "recharged" by baking in an oven:
http://www.apsnyc.com/pdf/silica_gel_reconditioning.pdf

Less waste B)

2 years 2 months ago #530183 by Olivia

No seedboxes at my place but I'm still holding off seed exchanging until I have everything collected around mid/late Autumn.

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.

2 years 2 months ago #530184 by Olivia

A friend at my local community garden said she simply uses uncooked rice to absorb any moisture! So simple and yet it never occurred to me.

• Thank you received: 6
2 years 1 month ago #530897 by natacha

I kAte, I have a box, I have sent you a PM.

Natacha

1 year 10 months ago #533355 by Olivia

Hi all,

Not a great seed saving season for me with all the damp weather but still have an assortment to add.

If anyone currently has a seedbox, could they please pm me?

Thank you :)

• Thank you received: 208
1 year 8 months ago #534348 by kate

The seedboxes....the two that survive...will now be managed via our new Facebook group 'LSB Trading Centre'.

I'm hoping that this will allow them to move more quickly and not disappear quite as often.

The trading centre is also a place to buy, sell and swap anything lsb related.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

1 year 8 months ago #534360 by Olivia

Sounds awesome! Thanks, Kate.

• Thank you received: 19
1 year 8 months ago #534496 by sandgrubber

Sounds great.
Please check your link. I'm getting a "page not found" error message.
Thanks

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.