Register

Topic-icon Damson plums

• Thank you received: 0
8 years 1 month ago #26239 by lya1

How do I tell when the damson plums are ripe? Some are falling off the tree but are still rock hard, they look ripe but I don't think they are.
Does any one know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 47
8 years 1 month ago #365044 by 4trees

Hi Lya, I am going from memory here, and a local person had a damson tree and the plums were ready about mid Feb from memory, and also I think they have a foggy bloom on them when they are ripe,but please don't quote me on that part. Keep tasting. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

• Thank you received: 0
8 years 1 month ago #365045 by lya1

Thanks, I have had a look at the foggy bloom but I think its there. I did taste them but they are awfully sour. I will keep trying this week, surely they can't be far off.

• Thank you received: 1
8 years 1 month ago #365048 by little red digger

Hi . they will have a lovely dark colour and will be soft and sweet when ripe. The cloudy bloom on the flesh will wipe off, and can be on the fruit before they are ripe. I am sure you will work out when they are best to pick and eat. They also cook well. Do not worry about the falling fruit unless the tree has issues. Cheers

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting

• Thank you received: 435
8 years 1 month ago #365053 by Stikkibeek

Try putting the ones that have fallen, in a paper bag with a ripening banana or apple. They might help to ripen the windfalls, at least to a point where you can use them for jam. Damson jam is the best.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 37
1 month 3 weeks ago #544639 by VioletFarmer

Hi all, just discovered our neighbour has a Damson tree in their yard & are not interested in the fruit. They do have a bit of dark red/ purple colour today- but are still very hard & sour as heck- some are falling off. Anyone in Canterbury have a tree and can help me to know when they are ripe enough to pick? The neighbour said they never get soft or sweet- hence why they don't want them. Cheers :)

• Thank you received: 77
1 month 3 weeks ago #544643 by Mudlerk

They make a very tasty [too tart for my taste!] jam...but you'd have to be pretty hardy to eat them fresh, I would think.

• Thank you received: 15
1 month 3 weeks ago #544644 by Blueberry

Even better than jam, the make a beautiful paste - needs loooong slow cooking, less sugar.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

• Thank you received: 63
1 month 3 weeks ago #544666 by Anakei

We had damsons in the garden when I was growing up. As kids we only ate the ones that fell off the tree because they would be ripe. Damsons are considered a cooking plum not an eater, and make great pies and jams and also Damson Gin - my favourite :whistle:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

• Thank you received: 407
1 month 3 weeks ago #544678 by LongRidge

I would think that it is way too early yet. Ripe when they come off the tree easily. They make damson good wine :-)

• Thank you received: 131
1 month 3 weeks ago #544681 by Hawkspur

If they are unwatered, they may be falling because of this rather than ripeness. Things are getting dry and hot.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.