Register

Topic-icon Ashmead's Kernel apple variety

• Thank you received: 20
6 years 10 months ago #426674 by Blueberry

not life-threatening important, but it would be nice to have one :) . if you are interested in apples, the below book is a wonderful source of information

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 25
6 years 10 months ago #426715 by Belle Bosse

I'm more familiar with the tropical fruits, which I'm rather fond of...

The temperate pip and stone fruits are still a major tour of discovery... just this last couple months I've discovered the Beurre Bosc pear and 1/2 identified either a Concorde or Conference pear which was also very nice.

Mum used to tell me there were a lot of different Apples around when she was a kid that just arent seen these days. I guess they are the "Heritage apples" that are being rescued now. I never knew there were so MANY varieties of apples until doing the research for our orchard!
How do you choose which ones to grow??

6 years 10 months ago #426785 by Blueberry

First have a look around your neighbours garden/orchard and ask them where they got theirs. Go to your local Farmers Market, see what they sell, talk to the growers. Then have a pig-out at the local nursery/garden center[:0][;)]. If they can't supply you with what you want, go online and check out who else in your area grows and sell trees. Depending on how urgently you need your trees to be productive, you might buy online from areas with different climatic conditions than what you have. that's a bit more of a gamble.
if you want mulitple trees, check the harvest times, so you have early -, mid-, late- season eating apples as well as keepers. You could also buy according to use: eating/dessert, baking, processing, cider. then of course there are the flavours; tart and acidic to very sweet - there's apples for all tastes.
Me, I have space and time; i just try to get one of each :D :D :D

[;)] Blueberry

• Thank you received: 0
6 years 10 months ago #427339 by KiplingAngel

Blueberry;424631 wrote: not life-threatening important, but it would be nice to have one :) . if you are interested in apples, the below book is a wonderful source of information

I think these are about $83 or so from Paper Plus or Whitcoulls... might wait till Trademe has some...

6 years 10 months ago #427371 by Blueberry

$66.98 from fishpond.co.nz

[;)] Blueberry

6 years 10 months ago #427986 by Belle Bosse

Im back with a little more information from todays effort on the computer.

The elusive Ashmead's Kernel apple has some close relatives floating around that display the Ashmead's influence...

Two of them are: Golden Russet and Duke of Devonshire.

I have not located the Duke of Devonshire... yet!

But I have located the Golden Russet... with Koanga Institute collection. Kaiwaka Organics has them as bare rooted trees or ... Koanga Institute has scion wood which is available to KI members.

Egremont Russet is a sweeter one, that could be looked at as well...

Just a thought...

6 years 10 months ago #428068 by Blueberry

i've got the golden russett - gotta give that a go.

I also shall study the book i mentionned - there's a list of 2,000 apple varieties (yes, 2,000 - and that's not even all that's out there!!) in the back of it, with history, parents etc. to every variety noted - i shall go through and search all the ones with Ashmead in their lineage.....

[;)] Blueberry

6 years 10 months ago #428458 by KiplingAngel

I've looked high and low for the apple, but it appears that it has gone from our shores - and to import scion wood would be a very expensive exercise...

I would love to grow this apple too - it fascinates me, but if it can't be found, it can't be found.

1 year 9 months ago #533783 by Ashmead

Hello all,
I created an account to add to this thread.
I was at the whanganui river market and got given a few montys surprise apples, they reminded me a lot of a variety I picked once, (which from memory was called) "Ash" because of shape and speckled colour. I am convinced the apples I picked were Ashmeads Kernal. The orchard was on the corner of Harley Rd and Johnstone Loop on the coastal highway Motueka. Murray was the owner and that variety was in a very old part of the orchard established by his farther, it had 80 year old granny's near the "Ash". This was back in 2005 and I haven't had contact since. It is a lead to tracking down this variety I hope. I remember we picked them later in the season, fruit size was large, they had to be sprayed with wax to bring out colour, it was a very select pick, all fruit was exported to England because of the fantastic size and flavour. I hope this helps

• Thank you received: 166
1 year 9 months ago #534190 by tonybaker

did anyone have any luck tracking Ashmeads down?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

1 year 8 months ago #534269 by Belle Bosse

tonybaker wrote: did anyone have any luck tracking Ashmeads down?

The closest Ashmead's Kernel trees I found were in Tasmania or Victoria, Australia... would have to be imported with all its red tape and quarantine etc.

• Thank you received: 166
1 year 8 months ago #534274 by tonybaker

I have Merton's Russet which seems similar? A very late cultivar and more of a cider type. I am going to try Andy McGrath at Mc Grath's Nursery, they have been importing for a long time.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.