Register

Topic-icon Ashmead's Kernel apple variety

• Thank you received: 0
8 years 6 months ago #350227 by PeterNZ

You could contact the New Zealand Treecrop Asc. . They have a webpage with apple links here http://www.treecrops.org.nz/resrch/apple/index.html

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3
8 years 6 months ago #350229 by igor

There is a group in the South that concerns itself with the preservation of heritage apple species. They collect information and grafting material from abandoned household orchards, wild trees, and suchlike sources. I think they are based in Riverton. Perhaps they are also on the list in Peter's link.

• Thank you received: 3
8 years 6 months ago #350230 by igor

Just checked. Yes they are. The contact people are the Guytons.

• Adrielmike
6 years 11 months ago #423924 by Adrielmike

Hi,

We too have come across this variety in England and would love to grow them here (we're at Loburn, Canterbury).

Have you been able to track any trees down, please?

Thanks,

Adrielmike

• Thank you received: 1
6 years 11 months ago #424139 by Andrea1

Has anyone tried Allenton's in Ashburton?

www.allenton.co.nz

They have heaps of apple varities.

• Thank you received: 0
6 years 11 months ago #424143 by 3 girls farming

have just received the 'Edible Garden' catalogue.. it's not in there but they may be able to help. www.ediblegarden.co.nz or e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

good luck.

• Thank you received: 25
6 years 11 months ago #424151 by Belle Bosse

Found the South Coast Environment Society and they dont have the Ashmead's Kernel in the orchard list... but the Heritage Apple tree project is still an unfinished project.
Will post the websites tomorrow for you to look at.

I seem to spend my days hunting down trees at the moment... so will try and track it down for you. So far found it listed in the English, Canadian and US pages.

Bonne Chance!

• Thank you received: 20
6 years 11 months ago #424210 by Blueberry

i have been looking for Ashmeads Kernel on lots of NZ websites - it does not seem to be here - at least not as an identified variety.
I've been keen to get my hands on it for a few years now, ever since i read that it grows really easy from cuttings - most apples don't.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

6 years 11 months ago #424494 by Belle Bosse

Now I have the time to put in the two websites I found re South Coast Environment Society.

First a story:

http://www.odt.co.nz/lifestyle/home-garden/149137/heritage-apple-varieties-propagated

Their webpage:

http://www.sces.org.nz/pmwiki.php/Content/OpenOrchardProject

There is a list of varieties for 2011 and 2012.
The Ashmead's Kernel is not on these fruit tree lists.

There is a possibility that the apple could be under another name because its name was forgotten over the years.
See if you can recognise anything in the Southland Heritage Apple Gallery pages...

Im intrigued by the 2011 Black Prince apple.

I hope we can all get behind them and support their work!

ok, I've contacted them and we shall see what they say about the Ashmead's Kernel...
Bonne Chance!

6 years 11 months ago #424728 by Blueberry

For the past two winters, i have bought scionwood from SCES - it's a great project, and good fun to grow varieties you won't find in a garden centre. I'm afraid i'm addicted[:0] :D , and the support factor is just a nice side benefit[;)] :D

[;)] Blueberry

6 years 10 months ago #426058 by Belle Bosse

So far no leads on the Ashmead's kernel in NZ.

It is not known to Diack's Nursery Invercargill or their growers. They suggested the Granny Smith in its place.

SCES reply: quote:
"Armsteads kernal was sold by Auckland and Dunedin nurseries in the 1880's and could well have been sold other areas about that time."

I cant find any apple by the name of "Armsteads Kernel"... could have been a typo.

Shall contact Kay at Koanga Institute and see what she knows!

Blueberry: that is really great. Lol... I like that you find it addictive! It means grafting rare/ Heritage apple trees is something you can get really excited about and it is also something worth spending your time on.

It is something I cant wait to get into... a bit of learning to do in the meantime though.
Tell me, is grafting scion wood something you can do while on the move?? Or would it mean being a little bit more organised and patient if on the move to accomplish it?
Just something Im thinking about...

6 years 10 months ago #426611 by Blueberry

for us lay people, to give the tree a better chance, it's best to graft onto a rootstock that is established - meaning one that's planted. that can be a pot, does not necessarily have to be in the ground. so, yes, even while on the move, you could get yourself some rootstocks from either Koanga or Thunder Mountain nurseries, plant them in pots, and them graft onto those.
i have three dozen quince seedlings in pots which i plan on grafting with Winter Banana this winter ( :D ) - i read somewhere that Winter Banana is also a good interstock to graft apple onto quince, cause I learned that not all apples are suitable for quince.

[;)] Blueberry

• Thank you received: 22
6 years 10 months ago #426628 by Geba

On the subject of apple trees, growing from cuttings:

I took several cuttings from a giant and very old-looking apple tree growing on the site of the Glenhope railway station, in January this year. To my great delight they are GROWING...! as are the cuttings from its neighbour plum tree. I have no idea what either are but hopefully will one day find out.

Old railway lines (and also roadways) are a great source of 'interesting' apple trees, owing to passengers' habit of biffing cores out the windows. I got hold of an excellent russet apple that way years ago and am always hoping to repeat the excitement!

6 years 10 months ago #426670 by Belle Bosse

Thanks for that info and encouragement Blueberry. Exciting to know that grafting can be done on the move!!

As to the Ashmead's Kernel apple... it is not in the Koanga Institute collection or known to them, but that is not to say it is not in NZ under another name... sorry.

How important is it to locate the apple??

6 years 10 months ago #426674 by Blueberry

not life-threatening important, but it would be nice to have one :) . if you are interested in apples, the below book is a wonderful source of information

[;)] Blueberry

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.