Register

Topic-icon sweet chestnuts

• Thank you received: 0
11 years 6 months ago #1450 by moggy

I would love to grow these, so far I have found nowhere selling trees in the locality.
Also what conditions do you need to grow them? (I know they grow in the UK OK)
Can you grow them from the seed? I guess probably, but how long before you would get fruit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago #60034 by LittleLSB

I'm sure Southern Woods have them www.southernwoods.co.nz - you would definitely want grafted trees and preferably two different varieties for best pollination.

11 years 6 months ago #60058 by Seaside

We have one that was already planted when we moved in, it looks to be about 3 to 5 years old. Does really well here on the Canterbury plains, doesn't mind the hard frosts we get. Last autumn we got lots of burrs, but most of the 'fruit' didn't plump out. I don't know why.

A bit of advice about location - don't plant it where people walk in bare feet! The burrs are very prickly!

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

• Thank you received: 9
11 years 6 months ago #60274 by eelcat

we got ours from Sarah at Edible Gardens in Palmerston Nth. V helpful too

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

11 years 6 months ago #60297 by moggy

quote:Originally posted by LittleLSB

I'm sure Southern Woods have them www.southernwoods.co.nz - you would definitely want grafted trees and preferably two different varieties for best pollination.

Thanks I looked the last time I was there but didn't ask, I see that they are listed in their catalog, so will pay a visit probably later this week

• Thank you received: 414
11 years 6 months ago #60449 by LongRidge

It would be better to plant next autumn/winter, and you might need to get them ordered in.
And what the heck do you do with them? I've learnt that they have to be picked up the day they fall, then blanched and frozen, but I haven't found a decent use for them yet.

11 years 6 months ago #60469 by moggy

sweet chestnuts??? no use?? wash your mouth out with soap please
Your traditional use is roasted on an open fire - delicious
Or peels and boiled with brussel sprouts ( yum yum)
or you make chesnut puree ( chuck it into loads of dishes)
You can also make a cake
Chestnut and chocolate cake

Melt 250g dark chocolate and 250g butter ins a pan over a gentle heat
In another pan heat 250g peeled cooked chestnuts with 250ml milk until just boiling, then mash thoroughly
separate 4 eggs, but yolks in bowl and mix with 125g castor sugar, stir misture till it is a smoothe blended batter
whiske eggs whites till stiff and fold them carefully into the batter.
Put mixture into a lined 25cm lin cake and bake at 170C for 2-30 mins until it is just set but has a slight wobble.
recipe from the River Cottage year by HFW

• Thank you received: 36
11 years 6 months ago #60488 by spoook

I agree Moggy, "haven't found a decent use" wash your mouth out LR![:0]
Boiled or roasted ... so addictive. I have a tree but I reckon I will be collecting the chestnuts when I am old and grey. So slow growing.
There is a tree in Cambridge that hangs over the road, there are always people collecting in the season.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

11 years 6 months ago #60558 by Rustie

completely agree with Moggy there! [:0]

I've been looking everywhere for either fresh or even tinned chestnuts to make Hugh's famous cake and can't find them anywhere :(

A good friend will bale you out of jail.
A real friend will be sat in there with you!

• Thank you received: 26
11 years 5 months ago #60648 by kindajojo

In canterbury if they dont plump up then not enough water, they need an lot when the fruit is growing ..but not around the roots as they can rot

11 years 5 months ago #60716 by Seaside

Hey, thanks Kindajojo! I didn't water the tree at all last summer, I'll make a concerted effort this year. Even though it's small (no more than 2m high) we had over a hundred burrs, each burr containing (I think) 4 nuts.

I roast them on the fire, they are delish! Similar flavour to roast kumara, but with a firm texture. The kids love them! You can also use them in stuffing (for a roast chook, turkey, duck, etc).

I've managed to find them in season (May or later) in veggie stores, like the Funky Pumpkin or Happy Carrot, etc. They do take a bit of tracking down, though.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

11 years 5 months ago #60975 by moggy

i have found the nuts on sale here, but they are extremely expensive even in season

11 years 5 months ago #60988 by Desert Rat

Copy that, Seaside...stuffing made with chestnuts is awesome. I've planted a couple more trees to help with the pollination, as the lone example the previous owners put in produces lots of burrs but about 90 percent of them are blanks.

Phil in Manawatu

First rule of holes: When you're in one, stop digging.

2 months 3 days ago #545209 by Chestnut Sue

Hi there - I have an orchard of about 20 chestnut trees planted about 25 years ago. My favourite thing to do with them is boil them up (still in shell) until cooked - about 15minutes, squash them while still hot with a rolling pin on a chopping board, then scoop the crumbs out and freeze for easy recipes throughout the year. I've recently developed a thumb issue which will make it very hard this year. Does anyone have any ideas of easier ways of doing this in the home (without needing a room full of machinery)..thanks

• Thank you received: 36
2 months 2 days ago #545234 by spoook

Can't help with your problem but I wish I was closer, I love sweet chestnuts. ;)

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.