Topic-icon I need your help to devlope a website. please

• TinyLifeblock *
  • TinyLifeblock *'s Avatar Topic Author
  • New lsb member
  • Thank you received: 0
07 Jan 2017 11:45 #529038 by TinyLifeblock *

what else would you like to see? like other pictures that will be good or any videos

tell me if something need to be fixed or changed.

spelling is a common problem in my english, and it is my main language.

Last Edit: 30 Jan 2017 11:03 by TinyLifeblock *.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bamboo
  • Away
  • New lsb member
  • Thank you received: 2
07 Jan 2017 11:54 #529040 by Bamboo

In the nicest way possible I would get someone who has English as their first language to help you with your text and spelling. Your pics look good.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TinyLifeblock *

• Thank you received: 145
07 Jan 2017 13:05 #529045 by Ruth

"We are the only place to sell tame lambs reared by ewes," Not sure you're entirely correct there.

Your English is certainly interesting. I second the suggestion above!

Actually I suggest you spend quite a lot more time getting it sorted before you ask for suggestions.

• Thank you received: 4
07 Jan 2017 14:12 #529050 by delboy11

Yes you definitely need someone that has English as their first language to help you to tidy your site up. Also I think it's important to clearly show the people involved in your business under "meet the team". If you are targeting overseas tourist then maybe you could have a section in your native language. Maybe you could place an ad in a local paper/newsletter asking for someone to help you with the written part of the site (a student could be a well priced option) good luck.

• Thank you received: 243
07 Jan 2017 14:22 #529051 by Stikkibeek

Both English spelling and grammar need a lot of work, so my suggestion is as others have already said. Get some help from someone who is both knowledgeable enough in farming terms (Eg. a castrated sheep is a wether, not a weather) to sort all that first and your site should then carry more credibility.

Am I right in thinking something very similar to this site has been on previously?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 33
07 Jan 2017 18:24 #529054 by kai

I am pretty sure your address would be Kaipoi, not kiapoi

You also need to check how the website looks in different browsers as it renders completely differently in different browsers.

Yes, you need it proof read by a native English speaker, or at very lease run it through a spell checker.

A hint things that are designed to be read on screen are best done with a sans serif font.

The grey font at the bottom is difficult to read.

Also, I know the website is in development, but you should get your own url as the current one is not memorable.

There is one picture that looks like your sheep are dead, I guess they are not, but it does look that way.

Also under the menu option more, a lot of the options under it have been cut short so you can't read them.

07 Jan 2017 19:44 #529062 by Stikkibeek

kai wrote: Yes, you need it proof read by a native English speaker, or at very lease run it through a spell checker..

Your spell checker does not recognize incorrect words. I wouldn't recommend a spell checker. They don't correct grammar or homophones and are more likely to be American based unless you have installed an English dictionary and set your computer to recognize it.

07 Jan 2017 20:14 #529064 by kai

Firefox doesn't seem to do an automatic spell check, I have just recently switched to it from chrome which kept crashing my laptop. Having said that a spell check is better than nothing. The latest versions of Microsoft Word do pick up on an awful lot of grammar mistakes, however, although it will point them out, you do need the knowledge sometimes, of what to replace mistakes with.

• Thank you received: 79
09 Jan 2017 20:02 #529126 by tonybaker

yes, nothing looks more amateurish than a Chinglish website. I don't know why they do it when they must have access to native English speakers?

Kai, Firefox does have https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/spell-checker/spell check but you have to enable it.

I don't know why, but this site no longer seems to enable links to be pasted in?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last Edit: 09 Jan 2017 20:07 by tonybaker.

• Thank you received: 39
09 Jan 2017 21:41 #529131 by 4trees

Hi,So not wish to be over critical, do you think your sheep riding is appropriate, doesn't mention an age limit or anything. Just a suggestion when you may have non New Zealanders thinking a 30 year old person would like to ride a sheep!! Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

09 Jan 2017 22:18 #529133 by Stikkibeek

tonybaker wrote: yes, nothing looks more amateurish than a Chinglish website. I don't know why they do it when they must have access to native English speakers?

Tony this line you wrote is potentially offensive.

10 Jan 2017 14:42 #529156 by kai

4trees wrote: Hi,So not wish to be over critical, do you think your sheep riding is appropriate, doesn't mention an age limit or anything. Just a suggestion when you may have non New Zealanders thinking a 30 year old person would like to ride a sheep!! Cheers.

I think an enforced weight limit would be best and state that any child looking on the borderline of the limit will be asked to step on scales.

10 Jan 2017 14:48 #529157 by kai

Stikkibeek wrote:

tonybaker wrote: yes, nothing looks more amateurish than a Chinglish website. I don't know why they do it when they must have access to native English speakers?

Tony this line you wrote is potentially offensive.

I think the word Engrish has become acceptable as it refers just to bad English, not any particular nationality.
One of the daftest signs I ever saw was at Manchester airport in England. The sign was overhead a moving walkway and said "Please face forward on the walkway" problem was if you weren't already facing forward you would never read it.

10 Jan 2017 14:50 #529158 by kai

tonybaker wrote:
Kai, Firefox does have https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/spell-checker/spell check but you have to enable it.

thanks

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
10 Jan 2017 14:56 #529159 by TinyLifeblock *

:side:

Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 Jan 2017 18:50 by TinyLifeblock *.

10 Jan 2017 16:19 #529169 by Stikkibeek

kai wrote:

Stikkibeek wrote: Tony this line you wrote is potentially offensive.

I think the word Engrish has become acceptable as it refers just to bad English, not any particular nationality.
One of the daftest signs I ever saw was at Manchester airport in England. The sign was overhead a moving walkway and said "Please face forward on the walkway" problem was if you weren't already facing forward you would never read it.

Except, Kai, he didn't write Engrish

10 Jan 2017 17:13 #529173 by kai

Stikkibeek wrote:

kai wrote:

Stikkibeek wrote: Tony this line you wrote is potentially offensive.

Except, Kai, he didn't write Engrish

Yes I know, it was a suggestion that it was more politically correct than the word he used.

10 Jan 2017 17:23 #529175 by kai

TinyLifeblock * wrote: It will only make me stronger and state my information clearer .
I know there will be people against what I am doing but, I have lived,trained and breed my sheep for 6 years now. Trying my best to develop a sheep to suite new shepherded and lifestyle farmer. And have a better experience. the lambs I selling now have wonderful sweet meat, hard to spook and really friendly.
But I had the faintest thought of opening my a few secretes on how I trained Camo to be like a pony in riding.... I wouldn't bother now since I am not thinking normal.
I feel that i may have been too kind then....

Don't be disheartened, you asked for advice, you got it. I am not saying don't do sheep riding, just be careful with it, you also need to consider public liability insurance as if a small child fell off (particularly if you don't supply helmets) even though a sheep is not that high, it could hit its head on a rock.

Regarding the language (what is your native language btw?) As a start, try running what you want to say through google translate, no this is not perfect, but it would be a good starting point to then give to a native speaker to then rephrase. I am struggling to understand some of the things you are trying to convey.

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
10 Jan 2017 18:47 #529178 by TinyLifeblock *

because of my disability ,I can understand that you confusion. my apologizes

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
10 Jan 2017 18:55 #529180 by TinyLifeblock *

I am working on the safety aspect on the riding, Camo is equipped with a bareback pad, stirrups, helmet ( searching for one) and I will be in control of Camo the whole time.

10 Jan 2017 19:00 #529181 by kai

TinyLifeblock * wrote: because of my disability ,I can understand that you confusion. my apologizes

If it is dyslexia, no need to apologise, you probably would have got a more sympathetic response if you had said that was part of the problem.

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
10 Jan 2017 19:04 #529182 by TinyLifeblock *

I am with mild Asperger syndrom / AS

• Thank you received: 27
10 Jan 2017 19:22 #529186 by spark

Hi TinyLifeBlock,

Re: public liability insurance and personal injury.

In New Zealand, generally speaking, ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation) covers the medical treatment costs and compensation for time off of work for people injured in accidents and also removes the right of the injured to sue for compensation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accident_Compensation_Corporation

I am NOT a lawyer, but since ACC does not remove the right to sue for punitive damages you may also find this interesting:
from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punitive_damages#New_Zealand
"More recently in Couch v Attorney-General the New Zealand Supreme Court barred exemplary damages for cases of negligence unless the defendant acts intentionally or with subjective recklessness."

However, since it sounds like you are operating a "workplace", the workplace health and safety laws probably apply to your operation, so, if someone gets hurt, and the government decides that you "have not taken all practicable steps" to prevent that injury from occurring, then the government will prosecute you. You can get insurance against the cost of the lawyer's fees to defend against such charges, but if found guilty your insurance will NOT pay the fine for you...

Public liability insurance is good for dealing with accidental property damage - for example, if your sheep escapes from your property, dashes out in front of someone's car on the road and is hit by the car, causing massive damage to the car ($$$).

10 Jan 2017 19:37 #529187 by kai

TinyLifeblock * wrote: I am with mild Asperger syndrom / AS

Asperger's syndrome I know, but I do not know what AS stands for.

Edited: the penny has just dropped, it stands for Asperger's syndrome

Last Edit: 10 Jan 2017 19:39 by kai.

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
10 Jan 2017 20:58 #529192 by TinyLifeblock *

:blush: :)
I should had sate that on the first post.......

I have planed to conduct the riding in a enclosed environment, I have fenced paddocks.
Camo is an hand-reared sheep i feed since he was 2 days old. I got strong steady equipment I trialed every piece and had keep strengthening every thing.
I need to re-make the stirrups. Every piece of tack (equipment) is made the same like horse tack, but I had to make them from scratch.
Ohhhh.... I gradual trained cam to be like a boom-prof pony or a RDA horse. It took me 1 yr , and there a story right there.

Last Edit: 10 Jan 2017 21:13 by TinyLifeblock *.

• tonic
  • Away
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 44
10 Jan 2017 21:40 #529196 by tonic

kai wrote:

TinyLifeblock * wrote: I am with mild Asperger syndrom / AS

Asperger's syndrome I know, but I do not know what AS stands for.

Edited: the penny has just dropped, it stands for Asperger's syndrome

Or, it often means Autism Spectrum, as Aspergers is now called that in officially.

• Bamboo
  • Away
  • New lsb member
  • Thank you received: 2
13 Jan 2017 13:28 #529297 by Bamboo

Hi
I hope I didn't cause offence (as I didn't mean to) suggesting that English was not your first language as I was unaware of your disability at the time. I would still suggest you get help from possibly a student preferably one who understands farming to help you put together the words on your website.
It is really important that you capture peoples attention when they first land on your site and get them to stay on it and see what you are offering.Constructing your pitch means that it is very important that the words used have an easy flow to them. If a visitor to your site lands on it and sees that the words don't seem to make sense or there are spelling mistakes or grammatical errors they click away very quickly. In a way the website represents the product you are selling if they see the errors that is all they judge you and immediately form a conclusion that if you can't get the website right then what is my farm experience going to be like...probably the same, harsh but that is how people react.
You are competing for a very busy market and if your offering doesn't look good on your site they go elsewhere.
I have learned that we can't do everything in life it is far better to hire someone with the skills to do what they are good at and leave you to do the things you are good at. You are obviously very talented in other areas like making your tack. There will be someone in your area that will be able to sit down with you and translate what you want to do into something that looks great on your website. As you said there could be a great story that you could put on the site about how you trained your sheep. Sounds like you have a lot to offer you just need help communicating it.
Good luck with your venture I wish you the very best. Cheers

• Thank you received: 188
13 Jan 2017 13:50 #529298 by LongRidge

I've been getting rid of un-tame animals, and only keeping tame ones for 25 years now. A few of my animals will allow me to do what I want when they have been trained. But only when THEY want to. If something is upsetting them, such as the time of day, the amount of wind, a strange smell, strange objects, strange people, noises, then they will do what comes naturally to them. With sheep, cattle and horses, this is to run away. Donkeys tend to stop and stay stopped .... but some run.
The problem with sheep and goats is that riding them is very unusual. So you will have to show the people how to do it,as well as tell them. And you are too big to ride a sheep or goat.

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
14 Jan 2017 11:59 #529316 by TinyLifeblock *

If this is far too strange to the public then I will call it off... simple

Last Edit: 15 Jan 2017 10:11 by TinyLifeblock *.

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
21 Jan 2017 12:32 #529491 by TinyLifeblock *

:S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Last Edit: 27 Jan 2017 23:18 by TinyLifeblock *.

• Thank you received: 77
21 Jan 2017 22:34 #529505 by Hawkspur

That event is very different from using a trained sheep for quiet rides in a controlled space. It is against the NZ Code of Welfare for Rodeos to have sheep riding events.

From the NAWAC report on the NZ Code of Welfare for Rodeos:
"the anatomy and biomechanical structure of sheep is different .. so riding of sheep by children is associated with an increased risk of placing too much pressure on the skeleton of the sheep, potentially causing it injury. For this reason, NAWAC considers that the potential to cause injury to the sheep is high in this event, and so has added a minimum standard stating that only horses and cattle are to be used in rodeo events, hence disallowing the use of sheep for this purpose."

This was about the rodeo event, and not quiet riding of trained sheep, but sheep have not been bred as load bearing animals, so greater care would need to be taken of them when using them even when trained..

Some riding schools only allow riders under a set weight, (especially when riders are inexperienced, because an inexperienced rider is harder on the horse). This weight is sometimes set at about 75kg which is roughly 15% of a good-sized horse's weight.

Taking into account the sheep is not as anatomically suited to riding as a horse, even a 15% weight may be too much for the sheep. A child weighing less than 15% of a sheep's weight may be too young to be suited to ride. You would need to state your maximum weight limit and minimum age limit so that anyone coming knows what to expect.

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
27 Jan 2017 23:16 #529740 by TinyLifeblock *

But by allowing a year or 2 for the sheep to develop properly, and teaching it to accept your lead, tack , control and cargo. will need a lot of time....
This just one big fairy tale............. :( SO I GAVE UP:( with the riding at all, it was all a big dream i had and wasted 2 years on it and resources. learing the boundaries of each sheep abilities.
I Thought I could train a sheep to be ridden like a schooled horse and safer environment for children, maybe do some trekking or nice equine games.
The negative factors in this is far too many and ruins the fun as well... KILLS THE WHOLE IDEA... to be blant and strait.
:unsure: :( :( :( :( :( :dry: :blink:
Regret having that idea to market. So who every want to share your stories or sheep ideas like me ...:dry: don't open your mouth.
Face it they are good as:
pets
meat
milker
wool
sheep skin /wool rugs
trophies
field ornaments

Last Edit: 27 Jan 2017 23:29 by TinyLifeblock *.

• Muz1
  • Away
  • advanced lsb member
  • Thank you received: 24
30 Jan 2017 09:20 #529822 by Muz1

Bummer TinyLifeblock. Your idea may have fallen over as have many other ideas from heaps of people but think of the positives.
You have learn't about websites, you have made harness, you have trained sheep, you have learn't animals reactions (a lot of people never understand animals) you have learn't animal welfare codes, you have communicated and have researched well and been wise enough to seek help AND you still have Camo,
Your inquiries have also been a learning curve for all who have read this forum so be assured there has been good to come from your efforts. Good luck with your next idea-do not give up as projects keep the world alive.

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
30 Jan 2017 10:21 #529826 by TinyLifeblock *

How is It that I am learning curve?

you are right , but putting the code and laws a side, .
some horses don't like being driven or riding but want to work as something eles. My methods of taring is like a horse the only thing is that they have to work in short duration, because of their digestive system . The fastest ways to teach a sheep is, by communication and and complete trust of the handler.
you have can have sheep that are willing to work anything and sheep who just want to work one job....( i should write a book on this, or am a sheep whisper?)
I have a sheep who will not walk on the lead for 3 year, reusing my lead. but I NEVER pushed her to do something it wasn't prepared to do.
The Breeding, temperament, structure plays a big role as work sheep. And what is my knowledge of this sort off activity.
PLEASE NOT: I ran the calculation and number before any riding ever occurred, to work out weight capacity and everything out.
Some one tell me how a full matured ocsaloted ram walk on the lead by a 6 year , brushed, hand feed . Acts exactly like a Child pony and never harm the child.
ridden by that same child(his first rider), who never ever was rode in his life and learning how to keep his balance on the sheep ON lead.
tell me how the temperament of that sheep is, and dose that schooling year pays off in comparison of riding untamed animals?

" Every shepherded will have thier tricks"

Last Edit: 30 Jan 2017 11:07 by TinyLifeblock *.

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
30 Jan 2017 10:26 #529827 by TinyLifeblock *

Unless you learn and live the with sheep more then just, petting, feeding ..... maintenance jobs. Oh, I really don't bother with socile life here Nither do i have sheep qualification. This is just observation and trying new things out.

"This was about the rodeo event, and not quiet riding of trained sheep, but sheep have not been bred as load bearing animals, so greater care would need to be taken of them when using them even when trained..
Some riding schools only allow riders under a set weight, (especially when riders are inexperienced, because an inexperienced rider is harder on the horse). This weight is sometimes set at about 75kg which is roughly 15% of a good-sized horse's weight.

Taking into account the sheep is not as anatomically suited to riding as a horse, even a 15% weight may be too much for the sheep. A child weighing less than 15% of a sheep's weight may be too young to be suited to ride. You would need to state your maximum weight limit and minimum age limit so that anyone coming knows what to expect"

Well nether were horses
Got a point there but that what I was thing to change, what are the possibilities of having a trained sheep who was taught to respect, listen and watch it rider.
then the dangers and risks are minimized. Who know how much it cost to keep a horse in NZ is what i want here when i was little. But Long term expensive , you cant just shoot an old horse and eating. People will get up set really bad, and they will voice it out loud. what can a horse give in return... nothing much.
When a sheep is killed nobody goes teary over it, but want to eat it and have skin rugs .
So how bizarred is society.
A Farmer and Trainers will know if they can't afford the vet bills , the animal is beyond saving, too ill, a danger to others, really poor condition, suffering too much, control of pests . The animal will have to be killed even after they tied their best to treat the animals.
Bullet, gas, blade, suffocation or injection, ect.
What tool would you chose?

For those who are petty about animals being shot and killed you have to see both sides of the story to under stand the whats happening, IN ANY animal industry.
It not your pocket that money comes out of , it the owner.
If you have your concerns then how about you buy that animals off the owner or pay the vet yourself to put it to sleep, for the owners even help to give the owner to improve their knowledge of pet keeping. IN money , pet supplies or even help keep the dog healthy ect..

Last Edit: 30 Jan 2017 11:12 by TinyLifeblock *.

• Thank you received: 28
30 Jan 2017 11:12 #529829 by Anakei

Well said Muz!.

Tinyblock, there IS a difference between horses and sheep and the fundamental one is that horses have been bred for centuries to co-exist with humans and have been selected for centuries for the traits that humans value - as pack and riding animals
Sheep on the other hand have been selected for other traits for centuries - wool and meat, and not so much close contact with humans (milk ewes excepted)
Your training methods can be the same for sheep and horses and you have been successful with the training of Camo, but it doesn't alter the fact that sheep are temperamentally and physiologically unsuited to be riding animals, as the discussion on weight limits has pointed out.
You should continue to enjoy living and with and training your animals and perhaps look at alternatives to the riding idea - perhaps a petting zoo, where tame sheep would be an asset.

Everyone on the forum that has replied to your query has been respectful and polite of your idea, and given due consideration to the problems you might face so suggesting other people should not bother with putting their ideas up for scrutiny is a little harsh. I can't think of a better place to get advice from such a wide range of experienced people.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

31 Jan 2017 14:30 #529891 by LongRidge

Thank you for the very interesting question. Discussing it has been very informative to me, and I hope to you too.
I suspect that 15% of an animals weight being it's load bearing capacity is for hoses only. Donkeys have and do carry a much heavier weight than that.
tinylifestyleblock, ostriches have been used as human-carrying animals. Have you thought about that? And ostrich meat is very yummy, if they are too hard to train, or get permission to ride :-)

• Thank you received: 115
31 Jan 2017 15:04 #529892 by Rokker

LongRidge wrote: I suspect that 15% of an animals weight being it's load bearing capacity is for hoses only. Donkeys have and do carry a much heavier weight than that.

Well I never would have thought to use any of my animals to carry hoses! I must inform our local fire brigade of that idea. Could be great for those difficult access rural fires! :lol:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

• Thank you received: 28
31 Jan 2017 16:04 #529898 by Anakei

Rokker wrote:

LongRidge wrote: I suspect that 15% of an animals weight being it's load bearing capacity is for hoses only. Donkeys have and do carry a much heavier weight than that.

Well I never would have thought to use any of my animals to carry hoses! I must inform our local fire brigade of that idea. Could be great for those difficult access rural fires! :lol:

Its been done before :lol: :lol: :lol:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener
Attachments:

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
01 Feb 2017 21:41 #529946 by TinyLifeblock *

How long did that take you to do that?

02 Feb 2017 22:44 #529985 by LongRidge

Rrrrrrr, the darned r escaped. It must have jumped on a wethe, or an ostich, or maybe even a hose. There will be real trouble if it does not get back into it's place pretty darned soon :-)

• TinyLifeblock *
  • New lsb member
07 Feb 2017 13:19 #530134 by TinyLifeblock *

here is something interesting.

Last Edit: 12 Feb 2017 21:05 by TinyLifeblock *.

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds
Go to top