Topic-icon Home made apple cider

• ccrk9
  • ccrk9's Avatar Topic Author
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 4
05 Jan 2015 12:31 #38977 by ccrk9

3 years ago I made cider the easy way, by freezing the apples then fermenting. Opened 2 bottles I had left just before Christmas thinking it would be no good and it was the best cider I have ever tasted ! Guess what I will be doing this year with the apple glut ?

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 83
05 Jan 2015 15:29 #500583 by kate

I think we need more details....... :)

Web Goddess

• ZummersetGirl
  • advanced lsb member
  • Thank you received: 7
05 Jan 2015 22:38 #500597 by ZummersetGirl

Yes, more details please as hubby is wanting to make some cider. Which apples did you use pls?

• Thank you received: 0
06 Jan 2015 08:25 #500606 by shad297

Ditto here, we make a few things in this household like beer, fermented veges, cheese, soap but have never tried cider vinegar which I swear is the best hair conditioner I've ever used (diluted). We also have a couple of apple trees, but my inlaws have more and always have excess fruit.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

• ccrk9
  • valued contributor
06 Jan 2015 11:48 #500625 by ccrk9

1.5kg cooking apples, the tarter the better
5-6 litres water
1kg sugar
3 lemons

Cut apples into rough chunks, put in plastic bag and freeze for a few days.

Thaw, and pulp them in either blender or old fashioned moulee (sp?) with a little water.

Put remaining water in plastic bucket and add pulp.

Cover, and keep for a week, stirring twice a day.

Strain mix thru cheese cloth and discard pulpy bits.

Pour liquid back into bucket, stirring in sugar, juice and zest of lemons (I just juice the lemons and chop skins up and chuck them in).

Mix should begin to fizz after 24 hours (I sometimes leave longer in bucket depending on how fizzy it is).

Strain again and pour into bottles (I use 1.5 ish litre plastic soft drink bottles that have been well rinsed and glass bottles are not recommended as this brew tends to explode), DO NOT FILL MORE THAN 1/2 to 3/4 FULL !

Screw lids loosely on (I just put them on properly but not tightened really tight).

Leave for minimum of a week before drinking, two months is even better, and as I discovered 3 years is brilliant.

NB: I store my bottles in the un used toilet off my laundry, in a box covered with a towel. It has an even temperature, and concrete floor just in case one goes bang. Makes 8 or 9 bottles. The bottles will bulge and go hard with gas so handle with care.

• ccrk9
  • valued contributor
06 Jan 2015 11:50 #500626 by ccrk9

I have also made rhubarb champagne but wasn't that impressed with it. It was pink, fizzy and an acquired taste

• Thank you received: 5
07 Jan 2015 07:13 #500676 by Edenview

We make rhubarb fizz often the kids love it. Very fizzy! Ours tastes more like lemonade but a bit different...

Sent from my GT-S6500D using Tapatalk 2

07 Jan 2015 09:04 #500683 by shad297

Whoops - I thought you said Apple Cider Vinegar ha ha! but actually Apple Cider is fine too. Thanks for the recipe. We are currently drinking our Elderflower Champagne which is lovely, some years it is horrible (blame the husband) and I won't touch the stuff, but this one (2014) is great. We forage locally for the elderflowers when we walk our dogs.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

• Thank you received: 1
12 Apr 2015 08:09 #505194 by kairara

Made crab apple cider using simular recipe, still got two bottles from two years ago. Tried leaving caps on loose this year to let gas out hoping for a still cider.

• Alexandrea Edwardson
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
15 Jun 2015 18:27 #508050 by Alexandrea Edwardson

I have tried fermenting before but I used red cane. I will definitely try apple cider this time.

• wandering free
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 2
16 Jun 2015 20:24 #508074 by wandering free

shad297;506415 wrote: Ditto here, we make a few things in this household like beer, fermented veges, cheese, soap but have never tried cider vinegar which I swear is the best hair conditioner I've ever used (diluted). We also have a couple of apple trees, but my inlaws have more and always have excess fruit.

We made the best cider vinegar we have ever made this year. I had about 30lts of cider from last year, the remnants 3 or 4 batches and made the vinegar from the blend, it must have been about 7.5% alcohol so the vinegar will be about 6%.

This year I am making the cider without using potassium metabisulphite and letting the natural yeast do it's job, I read it makes better cider vinegar. I made my own press and apple scratter well worth the effort, two 6ton presses gives about 70% extraction, if you want to look at it it's on youtube

Just the two of us, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

• Thank you received: 95
01 Jul 2015 08:10 #508869 by tonybaker

I use a garden shredder and opened the feed inlet a bit so I dont have to cut the apples so much.

Just tip the apples in and it shreds them into a bin below. Its a bit noisy but effective.

Press is a basket press using a small hydraulic jack. All seems to work ok and easy to clean.

I bottle the juice after settling it in a fridge for a day. Rack juice off and its clear enough. We freeze the juice and have it fresh through the year.

Have made cider as well but the juice is great for kids!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

03 Feb 2017 12:24 #530017 by gudgyz

This is very interesting as I have been looking at other cider recipes/processes and they are very convoluted. We have a half a dozen apple trees which produce more fruit than we can ever use, Cider may be a good option this year!!
Does anyone know if you could freeze whole apples while there is a glut and just thaw them to make batches of cider throughout the year, or would that kill the natural yeast?

"And in knowing, that you know nothing, makes you the smartest of all" ~ Socrates

• Thank you received: 214
04 Feb 2017 16:42 #530053 by LongRidge

When I make plum wine, I freeze the plums, then thaw them in a bucket then pour boiling water over them, and in about 4 days they start fermenting. But this yeast makes the wine taste awful.
So yes, you could freeze whole apples without killing the yeast ...... but ....
You will still need to squeeze the apples, probably after pulping them, so will still need a cider press to get the juice out. If I had a juice extractor I would get the juice out of the apples while they are fresh, and freeze the juice. That way I would be able to do a few apples at a time and put the fresh juice on top of the frozen juice.
Because I don't know what sort of wine will happen if I use the natural yeast, I always use bought dried yeast in sachets from the brewing supply store. I have tried different yeasts now, and have one variety that I like more than the others.

18 Apr 2017 23:52 #531953 by candys

thanks for the great recipe! Going to try it this weekend

• Thank you received: 5
20 Apr 2017 17:36 #531988 by Name123

LongRidge wrote: When I make plum wine, I freeze the plums, then thaw them in a bucket then pour boiling water over them, and in about 4 days they start fermenting. But this yeast makes the wine taste awful.
So yes, you could freeze whole apples without killing the yeast ...... but ....
You will still need to squeeze the apples, probably after pulping them, so will still need a cider press to get the juice out. If I had a juice extractor I would get the juice out of the apples while they are fresh, and freeze the juice. That way I would be able to do a few apples at a time and put the fresh juice on top of the frozen juice.
Because I don't know what sort of wine will happen if I use the natural yeast, I always use bought dried yeast in sachets from the brewing supply store. I have tried different yeasts now, and have one variety that I like more than the others.

Nigel from this website , recommends freezing apples to make wine in lieu of a cider press. But he adds yeast, although that's likely to ensure that there are decent yeasts in there. What I do when I make vinegar, is add in some of an old batch, or some Bragg's which can be bought at Binn Inn. To make sure it's the right vinegar bacteria.

30 May 2017 17:33 #533011 by maxwell

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.!!

• Thank you received: 95
01 Jun 2017 08:47 #533047 by tonybaker

anyone on here been making Kombucha? To me it is really just weak vinegar made with tea? The mother (or Scoby) looks same as a mother of vinegar.....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 6
01 Jun 2017 08:57 #533048 by Runamuck

Kombucha is basically fermented tea. A friend of mine makes it and raves about it, but to be honest, I'd rather drink tea before it's fermented.

• Thank you received: 36
01 Jun 2017 22:23 #533065 by Anakei

Runamuck wrote: Kombucha is basically fermented tea. A friend of mine makes it and raves about it, but to be honest, I'd rather drink tea before it's fermented.

Haha I'm a great tea drinker too, but I love Kombucha when its properly made. Unfortunately I don't seem to have that skill. Mine goes from tea to vinegar with nothing in between :pinch: . I keep trying though......:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds
Go to top