Life goes on for some...............

More
3 years 2 months ago #553798 by spoook
........... but others, they are gone all too soon. Suki, my little working dog, bed warmer and faithful companion, has left us. She came into our life in between my cancer ops over 13 years ago. 2 weeks out of hospital we drove all the way to Moerewa to choose her, silly me, was such a long way so soon but so worth it to get the best little working dog ever. She hardly needed training and was always there waiting for the next command, always in the middle of all the work, always wanting to be included in everything.
I have been watching her for the past 2 weeks as age seemed to be catching up on her, eyes becoming cloudy, hearing was better at high pitched sounds and she slept more. That did not stop her from being in the action to get the goats in and help us at the break neck speed she always had.
Late yesterday afternoon she was not interested in her dinner, did not want to get up from sleeping at my feet, where I sit now typing this. L and I got her up but she seemed to struggle to stand, managed to walk to her water bowl but did not seem to be able to reach down to drink. We moved her to the comfort of the couch and I sat beside her to watch closely. She just lay there and looked up at me with, what seemed, pleading eyes. I moved her a little to be more comfortable and she still kept looking up at me. That was it, we decided to take her to the emergency vet.
Seems her heart was surrounded by fluid and there was a large mass and they could hardly hear the heart beating. The mass had ruptured and was not allowing her heart to beat, removing the fluid and CPR was tried but we stopped them after a few minutes. Quality of life would not have been there for her, she would not have coped with, or understood, why she could not just run when she heard a gate chain clang.
We decided to make the call and she slipped away in our arms, surrounded by our love and our tears.
Today we will bury her on the island in the dam so we can look to her every day.
She will always be here, running free with Fraggle and all our other lost loved ones. Some days, life just gets really hard. :-(

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #553799 by Ruth
A tough, good, sad call. Warm thoughts your way.

More
3 years 2 months ago #553801 by Stikkibeek
I know that huge sense of loss. Goaty's last twins she had not long before she crossed the rainbow bridge, are weird. One black hornless, one white with horns and he's so like her he wrenches my heart every time he comes for a smooch. So sorry for your loss. The unconditional love that some of our four legged friends give, is priceless beyond words.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
3 years 2 months ago #553805 by kate
She was a very special dog and was lucky to spend her life with you guys...

Web Goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: spoook

More
3 years 2 months ago #553811 by StephHarmon
What an amazing dog. I'm sure she was very happy to spend her life with you.

More
3 years 2 months ago #553822 by Ronney
It is an unenviable and tough decision but quality of life is a huge consideration. They take a bit of you with them but they also leave a lot of themselves behind, and in time the memories will make you smile :kiss:

Take care,
Ronnie

More
3 years 2 months ago #553848 by terralee
That is just the hardest part of loving our animals so deeply...sending you the biggest of HUGS ..she will be snuggle with Fraggles waiting for the reunion when the time is right :(

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds