End of an era...

More
5 years 3 months ago #544492 by kate
End of an era... was created by kate
This morning our old girl Jo and her mate Sausage were euthanised.

Both came to us as 4-day old calves, Jo in 1999, Sausage three years later. Of late Sausage has had arthritis in her hips and Jo has been losing condition. To be fair, she had a lot of condition to lose...

Jo was always the calmest and friendliest of cows.

It was the best decision for Jo and Sausage but it still breaks my heart (again)

Web Goddess
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #544493 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic End of an era...
Oh Kate. A tough but brave call before it becomes overdue.

Did you have a look at Jo's teeth, to see if that was why? She may have had gaps. But they also just get old and gut-leaky and less efficient.

Cows are lovely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate

More
5 years 3 months ago #544494 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic End of an era...
So sad for you, but what a kind thing you can do for the oldies. What a wonderful life they have had.

Nadene once reassured me that it is so much kinder to do it quietly and at home instead of when it is a medical emergency and they are frightened and in pain.
]It is still hard to make the call- but one can do it with the confidence that you are doing the best you can for them.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
5 years 3 months ago #544500 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic End of an era...
So sad for you Kate ...funny how *farm* animals become part of our family ...lovely that they both crossed the Rainbow Bridge together without the stress of trying to live alone ...you did a great kindness for them today tho' you will be hurting :(
We had the Vet to ours this day last year and she helped my precious dog Tanna tp cross that Bridge too ...so I am feeling her loss even more today ...a year ago ..a year without her ...hardest thing for us ...best thing for them :( God Bless

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
5 years 3 months ago #544503 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic End of an era...
Kate, always going to be a hard one and I do feel for you.

While I've not farmed for 50 years, I've owned cats and dogs in that time and then progressed to cattle, sheep and pigs. I've learnt to remind myself that my life has been richer for them having been in it and I'm sure yours has been as well.

Take care,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds