Goodbye Grace

More
7 years 4 months ago #528147 by Sue
Goodbye Grace was created by Sue
Not one to fantasize about rainbow bridges and doggy heaven, but I just have to record the passing of my chocolate buddy Grace, peacefully at home with vet and nurse to speed her on her way. Grace was 13 1/2, they say a good innings for a Labrador, but my last girl nearly made it to her 16th birthday before she let me know she had had enough.

Whilst Grace had been deaf for about a year, her eyesight was still quite good and she could spot someone walking down the road a couple of hundred metres away, and let us know. Her mobility had getting more difficult but deer velvet and vitamin C tablets had been a great help. She went down hill rapidly in the last couple of weeks, declined going for her daily walks to sniff out the delights of the roadside, preferred to crawl into her kennel to sleep instead of her comfortable bed in our bedroom.
Her panting at odd times -especially at night, was diagnosed as due to a fast heart rate and the panting was to supply oxygen to keep up. No point in medicating to slow her heart as that would compromise her breathing as well. On Friday the vet discovered a mass, which she thought could have been a spleen tumour and she might not last till Christmas. I declined an X Ray, as that wouldn't change anything and she was not able to cope with anesthetic.
Monday night at 2am I sat beside her in the dark and stroked her while she panted, the lick of her tongue told me she had had enough. When she refused cheese, dog roll, raw pet meat including salmon and tripe on Tuesday morning I just knew-Labradors don't refuse food! She did have a drink of milk and some cooked chicken and fatty bits, but it was time to say goodbye.
The hardest phone call to make, but wonderful to have that option for our animals-the reassurance that it was the right call made it easier.

On a lighter note, Sarah the vet knew we used to go to Paws 'n Music and Grace loved the informality of dancing, v. the strictness of Obedience. She said Grace will now be dancing around in a pink Tutu without a care!

Little did she know I actually have a photo, and a video, of Grace in a pink tutu dancing to "Dancing Queen"!

Dance on my big brown cuddle bum!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #528152 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Goodbye Grace
Dogs leave such a hole in your heart and your lives. She was special to you both - big hugs

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue

More
7 years 4 months ago #528153 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Goodbye Grace
So sorry to hear that you had to say farewell to Grace.

She sounds like a best friend and a great character. Thank you for sharing those photos too.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #528162 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Goodbye Grace
So sorry Sue, she was a great companion, kept you active too. :P
My thoughts are with you as you carry on your daily chores and look for her. It will take time, but the hurt will go. :kiss:

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by spoook.

More
7 years 4 months ago #528180 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Goodbye Grace
It is the hardest phone call to make and also means you've made the hardest decision. Pleased that home was the place and it is great to have that option. I'm not good at this, take care.
Ronnie

More
7 years 4 months ago #528183 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Goodbye Grace
Sorry Sue, a very tough time for you but many great memories.

RIP Grace :(

Web Goddess

More
7 years 4 months ago #528190 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Goodbye Grace
We feel for you, Sue - Grace was a loved part of your family. She was a very lucky dog to have had such a wonderful life in your care. You will certainly cherish the memories of the time you shared together.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds