Register

Topic-icon Pole saw / loppers?

• Thank you received: 50
3 months 6 days ago #544958 by spark

I am in need of a pole saw / pole lopper. The Fiskars "Powerlever" pole tree pruner looks like a suitable tool - has anyone had any experience with these, or any other pole saw / lopper?

Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 months 5 days ago by spark. Reason: Added photo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 312
3 months 5 days ago #544963 by Ruth

What sort of work are you planning doing with it - how much, size of trees, etc.?

• Thank you received: 167
3 months 5 days ago #544969 by tonybaker

I have one of these and it is surprisingly good. Also have the ryobi cordless chainsaw which is amazing and so easy to handle.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 50
3 months 5 days ago #544974 by spark

Ruth, I've got a couple of trees to keep trimmed. The tree in the photo keeps growing and rubbing on the roof and I figure that a pole saw / lopper would be a better way to keep it trimmed than getting up on the roof with loppers and a pruning saw...

Alan, thanks for the recommendation, but I am a bit leery of cheap power tools (especially rechargeable ones), which seem to turn into non-repairable e-waste awfully quickly (eg dead battery, spares not available), compared to good quality hand tools which seem to keep going and going and going. I've only got two trees to trim on an ongoing basis, so muscle power should be more than sufficient.

• Thank you received: 167
3 months 4 days ago #545002 by tonybaker

well, if that's the case then just buy a cheap folding hand saw and remove the blade and screw it to a long stick! I did this for years before i bought the cordless pruner, never had any problem with pruner as the batteries also fitted my drill, so they were kept charged up.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 23
3 months 4 days ago #545010 by stentor

Sandvik curved bushsaws are good and they have a space in the handle to put a pole up into then a screw through it

The plastic handle will eventually break so I just weld a piece of steel pipe to it - don't know if you have access to a welder?

About $75 from memory

Otherwise search for "Levin Timbersaws" - great shop and they will have something to cover your needs

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.