Register

Topic-icon Best variety of lavender for a hedge?

• Thank you received: 0
2 months 3 weeks ago #544750 by Sapphire

I have put in some buxus plants to create hedging in my garden and was thinking of putting some lavender behind but am unsure which variety will look best, hoping a keen gardener can help :)

The garden is very small (300cm x 70cm approx) and is north facing with average soil and good sunlight.

I prefer the darker green varieties with dark purple flowers.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27
2 months 2 weeks ago #544753 by iSor

I have used the “Munstead” variety of lavender for a retaining wall.
It is a lighter purple colour than what you want but withstands dry hot conditions. Cutting it back by a third after the first flowering has finished in December enables it to produce more flowers from January.
That photo shows 15 month old plants that can reach 60cm diameter (would fit in your 70cm space with or without the buxus).
I have staggered planting in a zig-zag fashion so that the hedge is a bit wider in my case as I had a lot of ground to cover.

The dark purple lavenders look best IMO but Mega mitre 10 only had that one when I wanted some.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sapphire

• Thank you received: 0
2 months 2 weeks ago #544754 by Sapphire

Wow, your lavenders look lovely! They have definitely taken off in 15 months!

I will pop into a garden centre and see what the Munstead ones look like in person - could be on to a winner here!

Thanks again :)

• Thank you received: 27
2 months 2 weeks ago #544760 by iSor

Also, if you know someone who has lavender growing that you like the look of, you could ask them if you could take some cuttings off them to put in potting mix then plant those when they are a bit bigger and they’ll be away flowering in no time.
A lot of my garden consists of cuttings off existing plants that do well in our conditions and transplanted seedlings which pop up everywhere.

• Thank you received: 198
2 months 2 weeks ago #544806 by muri

What area do you live in?
Different lavender types have different preferences.
There are three main types
French lavender, this flowers all year and has grey/green leaves and a slightly camphorous smell. It is the showiest all year and does better in the humid conditions of the north and probably doesnt grow south as it wont tolerate heavy frosts
Italian lavender. This has a variety of coloured flowers from white to green to blue and red. Short flowers on short stalks with the rabbits ears or tufts at the top of the flower. These flower in spring, and known as the Stoechas type
English lavender, the grey narrow leaved variety, with tall stalks with scented flowers, of which Dwarf Munstead is one. The re are some strains that produce oil from these varieties such as grosso.
English lavender likes the cold, flowers in the summer and produces a great show but its foliage is not much to look at in the winter
So your location will have some impact on which variety you choose.
Also box hedging does best in damp shade, although it will also tolerate dry sun. Lavenders must have good sun, drainage and not be crowded or you will get dies back so be aware you are combining plants with slightly different growing conditions

• Thank you received: 9
2 months 3 days ago #545142 by Kiwi Tussock

Yes, I agree with taking cuttings.
My wife took many MANY cuttings from
3 plants she bought at a nursery and it seems that almost all grew! We planted them about Oct last yr and already, they are already about a foot in diameter & flowering! (in Southland)
I'm hoping they don't become a weed.

Sadly, I couldnt tell you what 'breed' they are but purple flowers

Last Edit: 2 months 3 days ago by Kiwi Tussock. Reason: adding the final line.

• Thank you received: 198
2 months 2 days ago #545163 by muri

Kiwi Tussock wrote: Yes, I agree with taking cuttings.
Sadly, I couldnt tell you what 'breed' they are but purple flowers

If you have photos of it in flower I can identify it for you if you would like

• Thank you received: 166
2 months 1 day ago #545218 by tonybaker

you could also use rosemary, I think it is a bit more hardy than lavender?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.