Topic-icon Blackcurrants

• morioka
  • morioka's Avatar Topic Author
  • advanced lsb member
  • Thank you received: 0
04 Mar 2017 09:52 #530787 by morioka

I am looking to plant a few more blackcurrants this year but can only find the variety Magnus for sale :( . Is anyone out there growing some different varieties and able to send me some prunings/cuttings.? I'm happy to reimburse postage costs.
Thanks

Last Edit: 04 Mar 2017 13:49 by morioka.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4
16 Mar 2017 12:41 #531123 by Edenview

I have lots of blackcurrents, but don't know the variety. One has fat berries and comes from my Aunties garden, she took cuttings from the Karitane nursing home in the 1950s I think. The other has small berries and came from another elderly friends garden. I'm in Otago and they do very well here with little watering. Happy to send you cuttings.

• Thank you received: 5
10 Apr 2017 12:38 #531710 by Name123

I have Magnus, Goliath and Cotswald Cross (as far as I can guarantee the labels are correct from Mitre 10, etc). I might be able to get you some cuttings, but it depends on how bad the pest that burrows into the stem is this year. If there are some without infestation, and there are enough after pruning. Which do you want? I think usually, there's one variety that really suffers from the pest, and the others seem to do okay.

Do you have anything I might be interested in the way of gooseberries or currants? If so, maybe we can just exchange rather than you reimbursing postage should you be interested.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Go to top