Cucumbers - not what I planted?

More
8 years 3 months ago #518778 by Deanna
So I know I planted 3 telegraph cumcumber seeds and beside them 2 lemon cucumber seeds. Yes checked packet after someone said that will be Apple cucumbers, no lemon. Well I waited for my 1st time growing telegraph cucumbers, and alas. :blush: I have ended up with some lemon cucumbers and some others exactly the same but longer, about 12 cm. :( My oldest son mentioned cross pollinating. Can anyone enlighten me thanks.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #518779 by Stikkibeek
If you have longer cucumbers that look like apple cucumbers, (white skinned, blush of gold if left longer) you might have Port Albert Cucumbers instead.
Cucumbers do belong to a fairly promiscuous family! :whistle:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deanna

More
8 years 3 months ago #518782 by Deanna
So where did I get Port Albert from? When I planted Telegraph and Lemon.. Actually I have seen very few of what I consider to be the round lemon fruit or vege if you want something to call it, and lots of what you have discribed. Promiscuous eh! Emmmm. So should I have just planted one variety in each tunnel house, not two varieties in one tunnel house?

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #518876 by Deanna
So the little yellow ones are the Lemon cucumbers, then there are the normal green cucumbers and the short/ long white ones were supposed to be my 1st telegraphs. The normal green cucumbers were in a different tunnel house.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Deanna.

More
8 years 3 months ago #518880 by Stikkibeek
If the seed was newly planted from packet this year, then it was what the nursery did rather than you that has made a mix-up.
Looking at your picture, i now think those are long white, perhaps a sport off the long green. Here's what Port Albert should look like. Port Albert Cucumber

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deanna

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #518888 by Deanna
Yes, I'm thinking it was a seed mix up at their end too. Dam, as I really wanted to try telegraphs this year. Oh, well what ever they are they a quite nice, as are the Lemon cucumbers, first time grown too. Thanks stikkibeek for you help.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #518913 by RichardW
What was the seed company, i ask this because myself and another gardener i know we both bought separately packets of Yates telegraph which turned out to be a short gherkin cucumber

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by RichardW.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #518964 by Deanna
Just what I can see on the packet Richard. I will go and take a look, because I will be contacting them. Says

Flowers@gstuff.co

I will email them.

On an aside Richard, I am growing potatoes this year from potatoes grown last year from the green seed tops from the year before. I have no idea what I am doing or how well this will go, but outwardly they look like they are growing normally.

More
8 years 1 month ago #520890 by Leonie
The same thing happened to us also....
I planted Green Dragon F1 seeds purchased from King Seeds and half came out like expected, and other half of plants came out like gherkin cucumbers.

'REGRET IS A DULL AND RUSTED BLADE'

More
8 years 1 month ago #520892 by Ronney

Leonie wrote: The same thing happened to us also....
I planted Green Dragon F1 seeds purchased from King Seeds and half came out like expected, and other half of plants came out like gherkin cucumbers.

This is all a bit interesting. Kevin didn't plant his from seed, he bought plants - half were the normal cucumber, the other half were the gherkin cucumbers. They all tasted great but did not match label.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
8 years 1 month ago #520893 by Deanna
They respond with a 'Oh gosh we don't know how that happened. Could only name the White short cumcumber as a 'Mini White' and sent me one packet of replacement seeds.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds