The hunt for Mirabelle

More
3 years 5 months ago #552596 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic The hunt for Mirabelle
Yes. The picture 1 you posted has the yellow skin yellow flesh version. There was one of those growing by a railway bridge in our town and I tried to get a cutting off that to grow but lost it. Went back to get another a few winters back and the idiots on the railway had chopped it down (It was a huge old tree) to make way for the electrification. I was very annoyed that a tree that old had not value to others.
Mine has russet coloured skin on the sunny side and pinkish on the side away from the sun, with yellow sweet flesh. There was an old orchard on the farm we bought back in 1964 and, there were several trees of it. My grandmother identified it for us.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #555230 by JFA
Replied by JFA on topic The hunt for Mirabelle
Hi. I am just checking on your Mirabelle plum tree. Would you be willing to post some cuttings to me? Happyily pay for them and postage.
Cheers

More
2 years 8 months ago #555233 by Stikkibeek
yes, if you post me a prepaid envelope, I'll happily choose some to post back. One with a plastic liner is suitable as i will treat the ends with growth hormone and wrap in damp paper. I'll send you may address via private message.

More
2 years 7 months ago #555275 by longharbor
Replied by longharbor on topic The hunt for Mirabelle
Hello Stikkibeek

I am a distiller and new to Lifestyleblock but came across your post while searching for Mirabelle plums. They have a very good reputation for producing Eau de vie and I would be very grateful if you could post a few cuttings to me as you have offered to do for JFA. I'm also more than happy to pay for your time, postage etc. Please let me know how to proceed if you are agreeable.

More
2 years 7 months ago #555279 by PrincessFlounce
Dear Stikkibeak

You really are very kind to us all. Before I bother you for cuttings too, please could I check with you whether your plums have the appearance shown in the picture here.
The Mirabelles I have known are cherry plums, with a distinctive red speckled blush. They're also very aromatic (you can smell them when you walk into the room).

Best wishes
Alison
Attachments:

More
2 years 7 months ago #555286 by Stikkibeek
yes I can manage that. I do need to prune mirabelle this season and she's almost lost her leaes. (They hung on in the mild wearly winter) but I can also grow her from greenstick wood. I'll send you a PM with my address, so send me a stamped self addressed envelope, Those plastic bubble lined ones are good as I will dip in rooting hormone and wrap in damp tissue.

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #555287 by Stikkibeek

Dear Stikkibeak

You really are very kind to us all. Before I bother you for cuttings too, please could I check with you whether your plums have the appearance shown in the picture here.
The Mirabelles I have known are cherry plums, with a distinctive red speckled blush. They're also very aromatic (you can smell them when you walk into the room).

Best wishes
Alison
Your photo is the yellow version. Very rare these days, otherwise they look the same. Mine have reddish skins with yellow flesh. Think I have a photo somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
2 years 7 months ago #555300 by longharbor
Replied by longharbor on topic The hunt for Mirabelle
Hope your reply applies to me too! I'm new to forum and not sure how you will get my contact details so you can give me yours. Simpler just to post my email address?

More
2 years 7 months ago #555301 by Stikkibeek

Hope your reply applies to me too! I'm new to forum and not sure how you will get my contact details so you can give me yours. Simpler just to post my email address?
Not sure if you are asking me, but don't post your email address on public pages. use the Pm (private message) for requests. if you are wanting cuttings, let's see how I go on the other two requests first and if enough suitable wood for cuttings I'll get back to you. It might still apply that you need to make several posts first before your PM box opens.

More
2 years 7 months ago #555311 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic The hunt for Mirabelle
Click on persons name & profile LH Side

Go private message on right and send it

More
2 years 6 months ago #555475 by Stikkibeek

Hi. I am just checking on your Mirabelle plum tree. Would you be willing to post some cuttings to me? Happily pay for them and postage.
Cheers
JFA did you receive the cuttings I sent? I put a PM on messages when I posted them, but I haven't noticed a reply to that if you happened to send one.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #559202 by Kellcountry
Replied by Kellcountry on topic The hunt for Mirabelle
Hi there
I am learning how to grow cuttings and graft. The kids and I are planting a food forest. We did a grafting course and had a mirabelle scion grafted. However our dog knocked it and it hasn't recovered. So j went on this hunt for a tree and cannot find anything. The mirabelle sounds like a lovely plum.
I can't figure out how to pm you. Would you be able to pm me please. Could i please purchase some mirabelle cuttings. I am learning to graft and am slowly grafting scions saved up in fridge. They are all taking so thought I would check if you could possibly send me some. I could send you strawberry plants if you would like. 

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #559203 by Kellcountry
Replied by Kellcountry on topic The hunt for Mirabelle
I meant to say Hi Stikkibeak 

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds