Register

Topic-icon Sussex Breeding for Eggs

• Thank you received: 0
1 week 5 days ago #546074 by Broughton

Hi All

Recently discovered that Sussex hens have large eggs, so decided to have a run of sussex hens and roos. Used to have barred rocks but their eggs used to be all sizes. Now i am looking for sussex chicks, hens and roos. please feel free to email me if you are selling any of the mentioned and i will be keen to buy them off you. just messgae me availability and photos and i will be in touch.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 79
1 week 2 days ago #546139 by Mudlerk

I've had Sussex and Barred Rocks for decades without noticing any difference in the size of their eggs. Young pullets do lay small eggs, and old girls large ones. Are you sure this isn't what was happening?

• Thank you received: 206
1 week 1 day ago #546161 by Sue

Egg size and consistency is very much inherited so unless you can get birds which have been selected over generations for egg traits like numbers, shapes and size then you may well find just as much variation within Sussex as in Barred Rocks if you get stock from several lines that have not been selected this way.

When you breed you should always choose eggs that come from the hens that are the best in terms of numbers, shell quality and regular size- plus breed them to a rooster whose mother was also the best you can find.

Light Sussex used to be among some of the best breeds for eggs, before the hybrids came along, but today they are mostly bred for their looks rather than their eggs!

Yes, as Mudlerk has indicated a pullet laying her first few eggs they will be reasonable small but each egg should be just a little larger than the last as the bird matures. In her second season of lay her eggs will not go back to being small like at the start of her first egg laying season but will start off being of average size, possibly gaining a bit as the season advances and she doesn't lay quite as consistently day after day.

Have you tried breeders like this?
www.chooks.co.nz/boards/forum/38/light-sussex

Feed also has some influence on egg size to a small degree, and very high protein can result in fewer but larger eggs.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.