Register

Topic-icon Failed hay making

• Thank you received: 0
3 months 3 weeks ago #544588 by kam

Advice needed by rookie lifestyler. The contractor I had booked to make hay off my hectare cut the grass and then disappeared off the radar. I have tried to contact 3 others but they are all flat out. Meanwhile the cut grass has had rain and begun to rot. What are my options now - I don't really want to pay to bale hay I can't use (if I could even find someone to do it). Any suggestions welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 209
3 months 3 weeks ago #544589 by Sue

If you can afford to leave the paddock empty and let it rot, the autumn growth will come through and the dead cut grass will rot down and make compost. Don't however graze it if you are in a facial ecezma area until well after the weather has cooled down.

....and don't pay the guy who cut it and disappeared!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

• Thank you received: 0
3 months 3 weeks ago #544590 by kam

Thanks Sue. Would it be worth mulching it for more even growth?

• Thank you received: 209
3 months 3 weeks ago #544591 by Sue

Well if you can mulch it I'm sure it would rot down quicker and not form a solid mat where it fell.
Rather like the goodness you get from fallowing a paddock!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kam

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.