Register

Topic-icon Sealing Barn floor

• Thank you received: 0
4 months 4 days ago #544508 by JasonP

I am in the process of building a new barn and the concrete is going in next week. The total area of the concrete floor will be about 600sqm which is why i would like to get it sealed while its new if possible. I dont want a coating thats going to peel up in a couple of years but rather a penetrating sealer that will absorb into the concrete and will be easy to apply. I found a couple of different options, surfaceprotection.co.nz/collections/all-concrete-products and getnewlook.co.nz/products/concrete-sealer but im not sure what either of the brands are like or if anyones had any experience with them before? I am open to other ideas on how to protect the floor too so all suggestions welcome :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 419
4 months 4 days ago #544509 by LongRidge

After the concrete is down, you should wait a couple of years for it to dry properly before you apply sealer, in my opinion. That's how long it took for ours to dry :-(.
If you are laying the concrete in sections then you will not need to cut stress relief lines in it. But if it is being poured in one big slab then you will need stress lines fairly soon after the concrete is firm enough to do. Don't leave it for too long or the concrete will fracture :-(.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JasonP

• Thank you received: 0
4 months 4 days ago #544511 by JasonP

Thanks!

I think the concrete contractor is looking after the cutting as well. :)

The only thing he told me was that we had to wait at least 28 days for the concrete to cure before sealing it and he recommended a penetrating type sealer. Im just worried the sealer wont have a proper effect if i leave it for a couple of years because the floor will get very dirty in the meantime?

• Thank you received: 23
4 months 4 days ago #544512 by stentor

I don't know either of those products so sorry can't help you there

Your concrete is usually cut in 5m grids
You could consider running a quality sealant in the cuts after curing but I don't think it is essential

Concrete cures up to most of it's strength over 28days and it needs to be covered either by ponding, wet sacks/ old carpet or a spray-on sealer
If it loses water over this period (dries out) then it loses strength

The cheapest is usually ponding (build a dam of sand around the edge, run a sprinkler in the middle and keep the whole thing wet) and you may be fine to only do that for a couple of weeks - if you have the patience longer is always better
Ramset Reid and Sika make concrete sealer products that are good, Sika is usually more expensive

After ponding/wet sacks/carpet etc you will need to dry it out for a while before you put the permanent sealer on

I don't know what your construction sequence is but it actually makes a lot of sense to build the foundations, put up the roof then pour the slab either after or before the walls are on to control the environment somewhat

I have worked on several warehouse builds and it is the way that it is often done for this very reason

Note your contractor should be laying double layers of plastic under where your cuts are going to be and precutting every second mesh cell to help induce the crack which will form under the cut - "A cut is a controlled crack"

Good luck

The following user(s) said Thank You: JasonP

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.