Register

Topic-icon Just a bitch about time!

• Thank you received: 1
2 months 2 weeks ago #544271 by Rod Brown

Why do people or web sites write 12pm or 12am there is no such thing, it is either 12 mid-night or 12 noon, sometimes there is confusion as to what time they are referring to, why not write 12.01 am or 12.01 pm so there is no confusion. Occasionally it is written starts at 7, is that 7 am or 7 pm, why not clarify it. Surely others must have experienced doubt from time to time. Am I just being pedantic, I hope not it annoys me.

Your always good for a comment Ruth. hehe.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 308
2 months 2 weeks ago #544273 by Ruth

Rod, I write 12pm for noon if I don't write noon itself, which is what I mostly do. Particularly because in my notebook, I may well be out at 12am, i.e. midnight. That's in my notebook, at least and brevity is useful. I think if I were properly writing, i.e. in here for example, I'd write noon. I possibly feel as you do but mostly manage to avoid the problem in my own life and don't people mostly write noon and midnight elsewhere? Obviously not where you're reading it.

Sometimes I write "7am in the morning" and have to go back and change it. Redundancy.

Oh and that was You're! Heavens.

• Thank you received: 1
2 months 2 weeks ago #544275 by Rod Brown

If your doing it for yourself, fine, you know what you mean. I just received an email from the TAB saying their web site was going to be down until 12 pm Sunday is that mid-night (like end of Saturday) or noon Sunday. Actually I don't care (but I do). haha.

That's exactly what I mean Ruth, I think others put 12 pm for night and 12 am for noon.

Good grief if that is all I need to worry about things can't be all bad!

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

• Thank you received: 308
2 months 2 weeks ago #544276 by Ruth

Rod Brown wrote: If you're [Rod, stop that!] doing it for yourself, fine, you know what you mean. I just received an email from the TAB saying their web site was going to be down until 12 pm Sunday is that mid-night (like end of Saturday) or noon Sunday. Actually I don't care (but I do). haha.

That's exactly what I mean Ruth, I think others put 12 pm for night and 12 am for noon...

Oh, do they? I'm going to make some ridiculous faux pas then!

• Thank you received: 3
2 months 2 weeks ago #544281 by tahunakuaka

I use 24 hour time but that doesn't solve the problem either. 12:00 is noon, but I don't think to clarify it as such.

Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by tahunakuaka.

• Thank you received: 407
2 months 2 weeks ago #544282 by LongRidge

With the 24 hr clock 00.00 is midnight.
You can call your post pedantic, but I think you're right. I don't need any more ambiguity in my life.

• Thank you received: 22
2 months 2 weeks ago #544299 by stentor
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 163
2 months 2 weeks ago #544303 by tonybaker

blame the Romans! a.m. (from Latin ante meridiem, translates to, before midday) and p.m. (from Latin post meridiem translates to, past midday). No wonder their roads were so straight, they did not know when to knock off!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.