Register

Topic-icon Anyone with experience of a dislocated shoulder?

• Thank you received: 210
4 months 2 weeks ago #544191 by kate

Recovery times etc? Not me...

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 312
4 months 2 weeks ago #544192 by Ruth

Goodness! No, fortunately, just other crappy shoulder stuff. That takes a year or so. Depends how old you are and what you have to carry on doing.

• Thank you received: 445
4 months 2 weeks ago #544193 by Stikkibeek

I didn't dislocate my shoulder, but did damage the rotation ability of ball and socket. I fell on some carpeted stairs when I slipped on the carpet edge and grabbed the handrail to stop myself going all the way to the bottom. This was in 1980. The upwards wrench was what damaged it and although Physio helped, i am left with a permanent stiffness which can inhibit various activiiities. It aches in cold weather and is hard to sleep on also.
I guess it will depend on the severity of the dislocation and follow-up care as to how long it will take to improve, but it may never be back to normal as mine has proven.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate

• Thank you received: 39
4 months 2 weeks ago #544209 by jeannielea

No experience with a shoulder but dislocated a hip last Christmas and had to be careful for about 6 weeks (then I was allowed to drive) as the muscle healing takes time. Physio would be good but be aware once it has happened it can occur again so lots of strengthening exercises.Dr or physio would give the best advice or if not possible at present let google be your friend!

• Thank you received: 81
4 months 2 weeks ago #544210 by Mudlerk

I know a plastic surgeon whose favourite saying is "the skin never forgets". Having dislocated a hip in high school football, done in my shoulder like Stikki, and messed up a couple of vertebrae being chucked off a horse, I suspect no part of the body ever forgets. My experience is, however, that how you handle the sequels makes a big difference. Lately [i.e., in the past 20 years...I'm 76 years old] I've become a great fan of x-rays, ultrasounds, and physios. Since I started getting -- and following -- good advice, I've been able to achieve a lot of mitigation.

• Thank you received: 87
4 months 2 weeks ago #544212 by max2

Daughter broke her collarbone a few years ago after being dumped three times from a ''100% safe, doesn't buck, bite or kick" horse. From memory it took her several weeks before it started to heal.

I remember the words of the treating Doctor at Otahuhu Whitecross (we were turned away by Middlemore as they closed the door to the children's wing with a drowning) and that was to absolutely insist on repeat xrays to ensure it was healing in the correct way and not to be fob off at our local xray centre.

True to word it was a fight to have subsequent xrays undertaken, and we would have returned to the Doc at Otahuhu if need be, but all went well. Apparently it is common for the injury to incorrectly heal and leave a bone sticking out. I presume this might be the same for a dislocated shoulder?

4 months 2 weeks ago #544216 by jeannielea

As a radiographer in a previous life Mudlerk, I'd say no, its not the same unless there is a chip of bone present. In an ordinary dislocation the affected bone pops out of the socket it normally sits in so is fixed by popping it back. Some sportspeople such as cricketers pop a dislocated finger joint back, tape it up and continue playing. but a shoulder is more complicated plus the humerus a bigger bone so the dislocation has to usually be put back by someone who knows what they are doing and will probably damage tissue and muscle when it pops out just as a fracture would. Hence the healing is similar but getting muscle and movement back to normal needs the help of the right exercises just as a fracture would..

4 months 2 weeks ago #544220 by Mudlerk

jennielea, I wasn't saying I had dislocated my shoulder, but that, like Stikki, I had done "damage to the rotation ability of my shoulder". In my case, 30 years after my fall, an ultrasound session showed that a lump in the healed supraspinatus tendon was impeding movement in Codman's Critical Zone. The point I was trying to make was that stuff can't always be made "good as new" -- I am making a layman's assumption: is it actually correct? -- but that it is always important to get, and heed, good information and advice. When my problem was eventually diagnosed, the mitigation was to strengthen muscles below the zone, thus widening the gap through which the badly healed bit had to pass. Finding the problem, and that clever physio, a few decades earlier would have spared me a lot of pain. One thing I still don't know, incidentally, is whether anything could have been done back in 1989 to prevent the connective tissue healing that way.

Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Mudlerk.

4 months 2 weeks ago #544228 by jeannielea

Shoulders are notoriously difficult to heal and most people seem to have continuing problems after injury there. But dislocations can be relatively straightforward in terms of recovery but as I said many people find they become a recurring.theme. And sorry if it wasn't clear but I meant that a dislocation is not the same as a fracture where bones are broken and may not grow straight together though this is often corrected by further surgery

• Thank you received: 199
4 months 2 weeks ago #544230 by muri

I would strongly recommend cranial osteopathy after to ensure the shoulder is in the correct position for healing. Having not done that with one son his whole shoulder is now mis shapen and causing problems many years later.

The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

4 months 2 weeks ago #544249 by Mudlerk

Isn't cranial osteopathy about light touches to one's head? Not sure how that could help one's shoulder [maybe neck or spine...even possibly pelvis, but shoulder??]

• Thank you received: 199
4 months 2 weeks ago #544254 by muri

Yes thats correct, the cranial osteopath works in the cranial region. But our nerves are coonected and most connect to the cranial region, then work done in this area can help any part of the body. Cranial osteopathy can actually work with any part of the body and not just the head. i have used CO for sore backs, sore shoulder, damaged knee etc and have been healed every time.. It is my first go to person for any injury to prevent any further damage that could develop as a secondary layer over and above the initial problem.

• Thank you received: 1
2 months 1 week ago #545519 by marmella

You will need recovery for sure, or you can damage your shoulder long term. You should make sure, to go to a doctor, too. Im riding mtb for a few years now and i have seen a lot of people who did not take their injuries seriously and it always ended badly. Mtb Forums are full of those stories, check this this one e.g. if you dont believe me. But acting as if nothing happened now is the wrong way, for sure and will get back to you in the long run.

Last Edit: 2 months 19 hours ago by marmella.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.