Register

Topic-icon Keyless entry car.

• Thank you received: 1
3 months 2 weeks ago #543833 by Rod Brown

I have a keyless entry (and start) motor vehicle, where does one keep the spare remote? I am alone and have no one to have the other key!

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 77
3 months 2 weeks ago #543836 by Mudlerk

Dunno if this is any use, but the other day a guy showed me how to pull the key out of the end of the remote [to use when the remote battery dies]. I was dumbfounded!

3 months 2 weeks ago #543837 by Rod Brown

It doesn't have a key, no ignition switch (new car) if you store the spare in or on the car other people may be able to gain access and start it!

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

• Thank you received: 56
3 months 2 weeks ago #543838 by Kilmoon

Mudlerk is meaning that the keyless fobs that you get with new cars (that aren't your standard bladed key that you stick in the ignition and turn type) usually have a small metal prong in the fob that can be removed if the battery in the fob dies. So you can still get into the car (very small hole for the small 'key' in the drivers door handle only) and then put the fob up against the 'start' button to start the car (so you can drive off to get a new battery for the fob).

Rob, put your spare in a gun cabinet if you have one, or hide it somewhere in the house. Just don't leave it in the car, as yes, then your car can be opened.

3 months 2 weeks ago #543841 by Rod Brown

Wow both of you, they didn't tell me that, and it works!
Thank you.
I still have to think where to keep the spare though! Not much good it being at home if your away. Mind you I have never lost a car key.

• Thank you received: 56
3 months 2 weeks ago #543843 by Kilmoon

I know, we've just splurged on a new car (well the second hand market for a 3 yr old and younger rav4 was so close to new price that it just made sense to go new when our old car died suddenly) and the dealer had fun showing us how it worked. The problem is that you can't check all the handles to make sure that the central locking has worked without putting the fob down away from the car! Every car we've owned in the past has had issues with one door being temperamental on the central locking....whether this one will or not eventually, who knows.

• Thank you received: 39
3 months 2 weeks ago #543854 by jeannielea

If its a new like mine you can't keep the spare inside because it won't lock if the key is inside. Mine beeps to tell me.
Annoyingly it beeps about lots of things and often its not convenient to search through the many pages of the instructions to find the cause.. A note on the dashboard would be useful as well as the beep. And as for changing the time - forget it!

• Thank you received: 10
3 months 2 weeks ago #543855 by Tui Ridge

Ours are just in a small draw in the dinning room with various other keys and such like. If I ever take husbands car (or him mine) I can just grab the spare key fob to use out of the draw.

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

• Thank you received: 435
3 months 2 weeks ago #543856 by Stikkibeek

I'll send you a PM Rod

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 131
3 months 2 weeks ago #543866 by Hawkspur

The latest issue with these, is people using relays or range extenders, so when the key is out of range, the car is confused into detecting them
tekeye.uk/automotive/cyber-security/keyl...-with-range-extender

. so now people are adding a Faraday cage to their keys and there are even products on the market for this...
www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/...signal-blockers-2018

You could put the spare in something that works this way.It could be a small tin, or possibly foil wrap.. It just needs to be completely enclosing, and have no holes bigger than maybe the wavelength/20 or so.

3 months 2 weeks ago #543868 by Rod Brown

As I've sold and not of fixed abode I'll wait till I've finished building and put it in the safe at home and hope I don't lose my current remote when I'm away. (I never have lost a car key, yet anyway).

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.