Register

Topic-icon William Bill Manhire

• Thank you received: 3
4 months 2 weeks ago #543356 by Hestia

I once did live on Manhire road.
I had never heard of Manhire before, (me from northern europe).
I did then find a book on TM that had been written in same area.
It was a book about how it was to live in that area and old sayings and stories from that family.
Then I did find that there was one more author that had lived in same area, Nibbles for Bubbles by Gillian Flower.
When I lived on Manhire rd I did write a book just to handle what hubbie and I went thru. (cancer and his death)

When I lfet NZ I wondered about why one road in the middle of "no-where" was named Manhire.
All the other roads around had no names like that.
I mailed a school that had some kind of connection to Manhire and asked if he had lived in this area or??
I was so surprised when I did not receieve any answer from that school but from WM himself!!

He didn't know but told me that there had been mayors named Manhire and it could be because of that.

Any how, I have never read anything written by WM.
What do you suggest me to buy and read??
Can't find books here so I have to decide for a title and send for it.

Recommendations??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 77
4 months 2 weeks ago #543357 by Mudlerk

Hi Hestia,
Bill writes poetry and short stories and teaches creative writing at Victoria University in Wellington NZ. Try looking up 'Bill Manhire' on Wikipedia.

4 months 2 weeks ago #543360 by Hestia

I have googled him many years ago but never came around to read anything while I was in NZ.
Life got so complicated with hubbies sickness and death and I have hardly read anything at all in many years. Now I am catching up and thought I would give Manhire a go.
Found heaps of titles, anything that you think is his best things written?

4 months 2 weeks ago #543363 by Mudlerk

Lifted is probably the most popular of his poetry collections...I particularly like 'Milky Way Bar'. His short stories are collected in a volume called South Pacific.

4 months 1 week ago #543392 by Hestia

Thanks,
I have now bought Lifted and Some things to place in a coffin..
Will get those two deleivered in the mail within a week.

I have hard to read and concentrate since my hard years when late hubbie got sick.
Almost totally stopped reading for a year or two...
I read and find spell errors without even kind of reading. I decided to keep up my reading with a hmm,, peculiar way, I sit with my dog out on the verandah and read loud for her :) Makes me kind of concentrate on the book and also it is some kind of stress relief.

• Thank you received: 435
4 months 1 week ago #543404 by Stikkibeek

Hestia wrote: .
I read and find spell errors without even kind of reading. I decided to keep up my reading with a hmm,, peculiar way, I sit with my dog out on the verandah and read loud for her :) Makes me kind of concentrate on the book and also it is some kind of stress relief.

That is a technique sometimes used by Special Needs teachers to get reluctant readers reading. Reading aloud to a pet or a dog is good as they are non judgemental and don't interrupt or try to correct words that reluctant readers struggle with, so confidence is not dented. Also, dogs are good as they will stay beside you, cats may yawn and walk away which doesn't give a nice positive signal.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

4 months 1 week ago #543435 by Mudlerk

Good on you Hestia...I had finished my degree [in English] before it dawned on me that poetry should always be read out loud!

4 months 1 week ago #543444 by Hestia

Actually I enjoy reading loud. Words gives you a total extra experience when not just read silent.
I had a teacher at school (swedish) he always said that to learn and get a grip of a new word you should both read and write it and say it loud. Kind of taste the word.
Poetry tastes best :) :)

• Thank you received: 131
4 months 3 days ago #543564 by Hawkspur

If you want to read more NZ poetry, I can recommend the book by Kevin Ireland called How to Survive the Morning.
He wrote them after the death of his wife.

And yes, a lot of poetry is best read aloud.
I like the idea of tasting it.

Last Edit: 4 months 3 days ago by Hawkspur.

4 months 1 day ago #543592 by Hestia

How to survive the morning,,sounds like if it was me that wrote it :)
It took me from april 2009 when my hubbie died to december 2010 to be able to leave NZ.
20 months that I lived alone in the old weather board cottage trying to sell the house on a still standning market.
My hubbies sibblings and grown up kids that didn't visit him during his sickness!!!!
When we lost his income and just lived on my small pay he did ask his realtives for help to buy fire wood,,his daughter refused and said she wanted to see how my my income was!!
Hubbie said: they might not want to see me this sick but they will come when I am gone to help you.
Oooh yeah they came and tried to loot the house for things!
They contacted solicitor and wanted to know if any money....
After his death I did wake up in the morning in cold house,,made sure animals were OK,,went to work,,cried on my way to work and on the way home.
I asked a colleague at work if she could help me carry stuff out to the garage,,she said she wanted money for gas and pay per hour for a one day work!
I had previously given her spuds and meat from my beefies and lambs when she had a low income and hard to make ends meet!
20 months when I woke up every morning thinking: how to survive.....
I have humour and and I am a viking,,,took me 20 months to sel all loose things on trademe to just get food for me and the animals and then when the house finaly sold and I could leave to start all over again and talk my own lingo,,,

I just got a text from the book store that my books that I ordered are on the way,,
Now I probably have to find this book by Kevin Ireland aswell :)

BTW while alone in the house I did write a book myself,,but it is in my own lingo so I can't share it.
Hard to get a book published when you ain't famous so I did print 100 ex and have given away to people I knew before my trip to NZ.

3 months 3 weeks ago #543692 by Hestia

Got "lifted" and "Some things to place in a coffin".
Had them in my backpack to work. When sitting in the car between two jobs, parked away and drinking a mug of thermos coffe..I read loud to myself :)

Funniest part was ehen I got the books I did randomly pick one and open up in the middle, random picked page.
Read
In Sweden they whispered all winter.

And the books arrived first day of this years snow :)

3 months 3 weeks ago #543693 by Hestia

"Her name wasn't always Hestia.
She was given another name by her mother at birth.
Others gave her nick names, some good some bad.
Her grand mother called her sugar-crumb.
Her hubbie called her nuisence, said her name almost was anagram to that.
That was not true but you coule see the reassemblance of her name.
Five letters the same.
A forumkeeper that liked goats called her Hestia.
Hestia was the name of a fireplace.
She herself only called herself, I.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.