Register

Topic-icon Ruapehu

• Thank you received: 1
5 months 3 weeks ago #543143 by Rod Brown

From my lounge I can see Mt Ruapehu clearly, as the crow flys it is 165km distant however my weather map information tells me visibility is 11km! How is that?

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 309
5 months 3 weeks ago #543144 by Ruth

You have a really good imagination? You're seeing things? They're wrong? :-D

5 months 3 weeks ago #543147 by Rod Brown

No I'm not Ruth, I can see it now! I cant always see it mostly it is hazy or cloudy, plus I have photos, I agree they are wrong.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

• Thank you received: 3
5 months 3 weeks ago #543196 by tahunakuaka

I have wondered about the distance, thought it must be light conditions. On blue sky days (not very often over the mountains) I can see Ruapehu whilst travelling SH 43 to Taumarunui. Sometimes the mountain looks so huge and close it takes your breath away, and on other days it looks so far away. Did anyone feel the earthquake an hour ago?

Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by tahunakuaka.

5 months 3 weeks ago #543204 by Rod Brown

I'm in Foxton, 165km away as the crow flys one can occasionally see it from Palmerston North and the Himitangi straights (just North of Foxton) on clear mornings (don't doubt what I have often seen) it is the weather maps which say visibility is only 11km and I can see it from home.

• Thank you received: 206
5 months 3 weeks ago #543206 by Sue

When it was erupting we could see it clearly from our upstairs office window in Levin. Probably 185kms as the proverbial crow flies!
Very visible on a clear day from the SH 57 south of Shannon too.

Yes, we did feel that little shake down here too, at 3.14 pm. I held on to the computer screen and hoped the books didn't fall off the book shelf beside me!
I couldn't get on to Geonet to report it for quite awhile- probably reporting overload!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

• Thank you received: 27
5 months 3 weeks ago #543207 by iSor

I felt the arthquake but it was not that strong just out of Napier. Our house is built on bedrock but husband working down in the flat, (liquefaction city) thought it was quite strong. I noticed the chandelier was still swaying more than half an hour later on it’s 3 metre chain but the cat slept through it all, normally it would freak out as would lots of other animals and well before the event.

Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by iSor. Reason: Not 5 metre chain

Time to create page: 0.391 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.