Register

Topic-icon Things people say...

• Thank you received: 441
10 months 2 weeks ago #540308 by Stikkibeek

Sandgrubber, on the language front, NZders traditionally have stuck more closely to English English, so you will find lots of our words still have things like u in them. eg Colour instead of color. Of course computer English is changing things unless people take the time to specify "British English" on their computers. Pronunciation is less noticeable unless you go down to the southern parts of SI to places like Gore, where the Scottish influence is still very apparent in the dialect, and Waipu in the north, but less so now. If you compare us with Australia, Americanisms are much stronger there in terms of spelling and sometimes in spoken words, like Aluminum instead of Aluminium and parts of Aussie have a strong dialect but I don't know where that arose. Many people who were raised in Seedney broaden their sounds. Mum used to like the joke that if you ask a kiwi what a bison is, he will tell you it is an American buffulo, but an Aussie will tell you "A bison is a Plice where an austrylian washes his fice"
My mother's C.A.M.E. L. was Citizens Against the Mutilation of the English Language. She had a classical upbringing, taught at Primary school level for many years and hated what was happening to our language.
Now the population is so cosmopolitan I think the changes will become more rapid....and then there's this strange form of shorthand that young ones are using to text their friends. Heaven help us, the next generations won't even know how to spell and earlier generations will not know what they are writing about should they actually bother to write!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 79
10 months 2 weeks ago #540309 by Mudlerk

I must plead guilty to having spent most of my life as a spelling fanatic, but am beginning to loosen up a bit. After all, "correct" spelling, in the overall history of our species, is a flash in the pan: arriving a century or two ago and now apparently beginning to fade out. More distressing to me is the disappearance of punctuation!

10 months 2 weeks ago #540310 by Stikkibeek

Mudlerk wrote: I must plead guilty to having spent most of my life as a spelling fanatic, but am beginning to loosen up a bit. After all, "correct" spelling, in the overall history of our species, is a flash in the pan: arriving a century or two ago and now apparently beginning to fade out. More distressing to me is the disappearance of punctuation!

Ah! The apostrophe and complete lack of understanding possessions, possessive pronouns omitted letters and the position of the apostrophe if you have a name like Ross which already ends in an s (We can't have too many Ross's :P )

• Thank you received: 39
10 months 2 weeks ago #540311 by jeannielea

I agree with you all and am also quite pedantic about words, spelling phraseology etc. Hearing the now common dropping of the 'g' at the end of 'ng' words really grates but we hear it on TV every night. I struggle with the knowledge that language is ever changing and always has so despite how we feel we can't stop it. I guess that's why some people say the language of the King James Bible is best even though it doesn't make sense to many people nowadays.
Then too I ask what will our language sound like when there are no vowels as use of''txt' language moves into speech?

• Thank you received: 10
10 months 1 week ago #540330 by ZummersetGirl

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has problems with the incorrect use of the apostrophe. Hubby has to stop me going up to noticeboards (especially at cafes) and changing/removing the errant apostrophe.

• Thank you received: 86
10 months 1 week ago #540331 by max2

My peeve is the deliberate misspelling of words in business names. Those familiar with the north bound lane of southern motorway 1 outside of Drury will know of the ''tire'' sign, and their stickers they put on windows have the same spelling. How are kids (children :whistle: ) to work out what is right and what is wrong with such public display.

10 months 1 week ago #540334 by Stikkibeek

ZummersetGirl wrote: I’m glad I’m not the only one who has problems with the incorrect use of the apostrophe. Hubby has to stop me going up to noticeboards (especially at cafes) and changing/removing the errant apostrophe.

Ha ha ha! I use a marker pen and and oblique stroke misspelt words and put sp at the top of the stroke! :lol: :dry:

• Thank you received: 79
10 months 1 week ago #540341 by Mudlerk

Misspelled signs, deliberate or otherwise, have been around for a long time. As a pre-teen (now 75!), I asked my schoolteacher mum why the sign at the entrance to our small town said "POMEROY SAL'T CORPORATION".
"Oh, she said, "that's Kerns Roush...he was just filling in an empty space. Kerns had beautiful penmanship, but I never could convince him that punctuation wasn't a form of decoration!"

• Thank you received: 208
10 months 1 week ago #540345 by kate

We have a local gourmet butcher who has a blackboard outside. For a while the message was:
Aged "wagyu" steaks

So....is it wagyu or isn't it?

Web Goddess

• Thank you received: 37
10 months 1 week ago #540350 by Wren

As a British person who moved to NZ I was quite surprised by how many words seem to be American influenced, but I'm not sure how many of those are older or more recent (movie and movie theatre, vs film and cinema is one that springs to mind), although I suspect some of those that I see as American may actually be uniquely Kiwi (rubbish tin? fuel station?)

I was brought up in a family where grammar and pronunciation were important, and some things do bother me still, but I have got to a point where I find the differences interesting, and try to remember that languages have always evolved over time. At the end of the day, language is a tool for communication so if you have successfully got your message across, then you are using it well enough.

Some of you might enjoy this 'grammar vigilante' video; apostrophes are his specialty!

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.