Register

Topic-icon Things people say...

• Thank you received: 310
10 months 3 weeks ago #540209 by Ruth

In an article about the untimely death of a young woman, due a delay in life-saving surgery:
"Last week the family received a letter from the DHB's service director Claire Caddie, who said the board was "very sorry for any distress that this tragic event has caused you", and that a review was underway."
How could anyone seriously write "any distress" in such a context? Are people in positions of power really so removed from ordinary human compassion?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 441
10 months 3 weeks ago #540210 by Stikkibeek

The answer to your question is "Yes".
They are too busy guarding their own asses to cover up their own inaction/errors, to care whether the platitudes they dish out are even appropriate.
We had a similar kind of situation arise after two important meetings were completely "stuffed up" by the other party and although we did get an apology, the message read in part "..."for any inconvenience caused"
Hard to put any credibility on advice from someone who cannot keep to something as simple as twice pre-arranged meetings.
Needless to say we turned down offers for a third meeting!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 19
10 months 3 weeks ago #540218 by sandgrubber

George Orwell wrote a wonderful essay called"The politics of the English language" in which he laments the throwing together of phrases "like pieces of a prefabricated henhouse", and the failure to think about the meaning of the words we use. That was 1948. Hasn't gotten any better.

(Autocorrect turned that into a "pregnant henhouse" :)

Last Edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by sandgrubber.

10 months 3 weeks ago #540221 by Ruth

It was also obviously a US spell-checker - gotten, indeed!

• Thank you received: 134
10 months 3 weeks ago #540227 by Hawkspur

Gotten was quite acceptable in the UK if you go back in time enough.

10 months 3 weeks ago #540228 by Ruth

Yes, I've always suspected as much, since it makes some grammatical sense. Forgotten would suggest it, at least. I am unfortunately a present-English pedant. I think I have a genetic predisposition for it. And a keen awareness of US colonisation of our language and culture. That wave is probably too big to resist but I can't help myself.

• Thank you received: 9
10 months 3 weeks ago #540230 by Ramsay

Hi
I pull people up at work all the time for say things like "My bad"
It just annoys the shit out of me.
Thanks
Richard

10 months 3 weeks ago #540231 by Ruth

Yeah, your bad what? I hate it!

• Thank you received: 441
10 months 3 weeks ago #540232 by Stikkibeek

Ruth wrote: Yes, I've always suspected as much, since it makes some grammatical sense. Forgotten would suggest it, at least. I am unfortunately a present-English pedant. I think I have a genetic predisposition for it. And a keen awareness of US colonisation of our language and culture. That wave is probably too big to resist but I can't help myself.

You'd be a good contender to reopen the C.A.M.E.L. organization my mother started.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 117
10 months 3 weeks ago #540233 by Ronney

Sandgrubber is an American.

Cheers,
Ronnie

• Thank you received: 79
10 months 3 weeks ago #540241 by Mudlerk

We American pedants have our problems, too; enduring the sound of "baa-sic" for basic; "vunerable" for vulnerable, manafacture, etc. Let he who is without sin...

10 months 3 weeks ago #540242 by Ruth

I don't know any hes without sin.

• Thank you received: 79
10 months 2 weeks ago #540270 by Mudlerk

Do you know the old joke about Christ trying to stop a stoning? [To a woman with a handful of rocks] "Mother, must you always interfere?"

• Thank you received: 19
10 months 2 weeks ago #540301 by sandgrubber

Ruth wrote: And a keen awareness of US colonisation of our language and culture. That wave is probably too big to resist but I can't help myself.

Yes, I am from the US, but ATM glad to be elsewhere. Have pondered this thread for awhile and keep coming back to being mildly offered.
Did you mean to imply the Poms didn't colonize? Or that that colonization was good, and subsequent change is bad?
Sounds a bit Henry Higgins.
What is the proper dialect of English?
Why focus on got vs gotten and ignore the Orwellian nightmare of degradation of language and thought by claptrap phrases.

10 months 2 weeks ago #540305 by Ruth

You're absolutely right. Especially going forward on a level playing field, drilling down ...
I am keenly aware of the primary colonialisation of this place. But we grow up in a world that we think of as our own culture and any sudden and strong current of change to that does create discomfort. I have a very strong sense of the Pākehā/Māori world in which I grew up and changes now seem to be taking that even further away from where it was when I began.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.