Register

Topic-icon abandoning work opportunities and W1NZ system

• Thank you received: 86
11 months 4 weeks ago #539600 by max2

Following from my bipolar thread..... I am legally obliged to advise the collections debt of W1NZ that offsider hasn't been working and therefore not to expect their required repayment in future.

This was duly noted with the comment he could ''see W!nz activity'' with the person. Could this possibly mean that off-sider would be eligible for the benefit? Is there no waiting period if you leave work of your own accord before being eligible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 441
11 months 4 weeks ago #539601 by Stikkibeek

It was three months but it may have changed

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

• Thank you received: 38
11 months 3 weeks ago #539610 by VioletFarmer

A local charity run by friends, uses winz recommended job seekers from time to time. They were telling us recently, that if you are fired or voluntarily leave a job- there is a 6 wk stand down. Winz may help with a food parcel, but you have to attend 4? work start seminars after they asses you, before you are eligible- apparently. Sounds like your (soon to be former employee) has been fiddling the system, people like him seem to be able to work the system in their own favour. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

11 months 3 weeks ago #539612 by max2

He already has past obligations to W1NZ and when I gave him the letter we received to undertake deductions he was in denial it was his etc etc so I handed him the phone and said only you can sort this, I can't. I heard a bit of the conversation and later on spoke to them myself. They were adamant they had been in regular contact with him and that the ''obligation'' certainly belonged to him. At the time as we were having difficulties in keeping in contact (result we lent him a mobile with pre-pay on it) which then went missing, so I thought to myself how can they get ahold of him but we can't.....?

You can probably read I'm starting to get really angry at various levels over this. Firstly because we continually hear about children in poverty and how its this or that's govts fault. Secondly he certainly used the system up, we sent him off to a local budgeting facility who also provided the family food parcels, anger management courses and assistance with getting his meds back on track (well supposedly with that). Community legal aid for the position he found himself in after decking the x's father and brother, and landlord issues etc etc yet it is so difficult for others to access any sort of help.

Anyhow moving on, thanks everyone for the thoughts.

• Thank you received: 412
11 months 3 weeks ago #539616 by LongRidge

Remember that the WINZ systems have been extremely difficult to use in the past 9 years, almost to the point of wanting to shoot something out of sheer frustration. For a personal example, when I went on it 19 years ago I had 40 years of side effects from Type 1 diabetes, could not feel when my blood glucose was low, and was therefore a danger to anyone I was working with. Oh, and also had an estimate of 10 years more life :-(. Then about 8 years ago I had a medical review and was found safe enough to go back to work. My condition had only got worse, but the Govt were manipulating the statistics :-(.
A huge problem that WINZ has is that every one of their employees is able to interpret the guidelines to their personal beliefs :-(.

11 months 3 weeks ago #539620 by max2

LongRidge wrote: Remember that the WINZ systems have been extremely difficult to use in the past 9 years, almost to the point of wanting to shoot something out of sheer frustration. For a personal example, when I went on it 19 years ago I had 40 years of side effects from Type 1 diabetes, could not feel when my blood glucose was low, and was therefore a danger to anyone I was working with. Oh, and also had an estimate of 10 years more life :-(. Then about 8 years ago I had a medical review and was found safe enough to go back to work. My condition had only got worse, but the Govt were manipulating the statistics :-(.
A huge problem that WINZ has is that every one of their employees is able to interpret the guidelines to their personal beliefs :-(.

I have to think though LR that its this sort of person who causes all the difficulties!

When he was with the OH he was telling him how easy it is to double up with renting etc yet claim single parent rent allowance (or whatever the proper name is). With the previous employer, that fellow had him invoicing the clients who would pay cash so then it appears he was double dipping on benefit. We put everything through our books, were sending IRD the monthly employer schedules etc yet (it appears) he could still stay on job start benefit (we had our suspicions and asked him outright towards the end) and not ''have'' to be able to work a full week. Too easy it seems...

I'm so frustrated that the system allows this to happen. Let's see if we receive a questionaire letter from W1NZ in the mail.... at least that in my mind would be the next sensible thing for them to do .

• Thank you received: 28
11 months 3 weeks ago #539624 by rider1803

In my limited experience if you leave work voluntarily or are dismissed due to a fault of your own there is a standdown period. If you are made redundant you need to use up the amount you receive as redundancy first (and i mean in a weekly wage amount not by paying off debt or blowing it on fun).
I see lots of people who seem to have a good grasp of the system and others who it seems could really use some support but aren't eligible - a whole other can of worms!
There is always going to be some people who "ruin" a system but abusing it.
It seems like you have been more than generous with this person - could you give them a termination letter based on failing to show up to work - unexplained absence is a valid reason for dismissal.

Confirmed horse addict.

11 months 3 weeks ago #539625 by max2

Many thanks Rider for the thoughts. He started with us as a sub contractor (working between two businesses) and was paid with him submitting a tax invoice for labour. I'm not sure that we have to give him any sort of termination letter as we would if he was an employee, I would think like any other contractor you just stop using them if you are unhappy or not wishing to engage with them any further, however I should give Dept of Labour a call though to double check and be safe.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.