Register

Topic-icon Question on the term ''Donkey'' as Kiwi Slang

• Thank you received: 0
1 year 2 weeks ago #539291 by Babalina

Hello

I need to know the usage of the word Donkey as a kiwi slang. I have a horse and a lady who graze her horses at my places, who has a history of picking apart my horse. Her son, said to me, that 'You need a donkey'' to ride. He said it in a mocking type fashion. The context of the sentence was me possibly purchasing another horse. The mother was right there and heard it. I later questioned her on why he son would say such a thing to me and she put a big broad smile and said ''That is Kiwi Slang for a clyde x type horses''' and went on and on that it was a Kiwi word. Since I am not born and bred in this country, has anyone heard this term, or was she just backpeddling and playing me the fool.

Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Babalina.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27
1 year 2 weeks ago #539293 by iSor

1. I’m not sure what angle this rude woman and son are coming from and I don’t know about kiwi slang for donkey either. My guess is that she probably can’t afford to own a paddock for her horses, like you can, and has to make derogatory remarks about your horse, so a bit of “green eye” coming from her perhaps? (that is envy).

2. Donkeys may appear to be slow at learning and stubborn to some people, which is why this woman/son may compare your horse to them. I don’t what your horse is like or how old it is, but she can mind her own business.

3. Just to fill you in, as a donkey owner, donkeys are very intelligent and have got a lot more going on between those big ears than most people think. They are very curious, won’t do something if they see it as unsafe, (which can be misconstrued as stubbornness), and have great memory. If you want to train them to do something you have to first gain their trust, which may seem like hard work to those who have no patience with them, but they are far from untrainable.

4. Threaten to increase her grazing lease, she will soon “get off her high horse” and maybe respect you more for it.

Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by iSor. Reason: Grammar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Babalina

• Thank you received: 28
1 year 2 weeks ago #539296 by rider1803

I am not sure on the use of "Donkey" in the way you describe - not something that I have heard before.
I have had horses all my life and we would say "it (the horse) is a bit of a Donkey" meaning that it is not very attractive and/or well bred and/or trained.
In reality derogatory to Donkeys but that is how I would use the term!

Perhaps he meant that you need a nice sold type who is reliable? But I haven't heard the term Donkey used in that way, just assuming as Donkey's can be very strong and reliable.

Anyway I would be giving them notice to terminate their grazing - VERY rude!

Confirmed horse addict.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by rider1803.

• Thank you received: 0
1 year 2 weeks ago #539298 by Babalina

I am not sure, but I kind of got of the impression, my riding skill was being insulted.. I said ''What do you mean '' I need a donkey?"" but did not get a reply back *in the moment* from the son. I will be terminating grazing for these people, but for another reason altogether concerning bot flies, which i will open up another thread....

I am pretty sure the Mother was backpeddling for the son, and just giving the perceived dumb American an answer that I would swallow. I am pretty sure she is laughing and patting herself in the back how she fooled me, because when she said it meant a ''Clydie x'', I became gracious and apologetic for even bringing it up.

I have attached some pictures of my so called ''Donkey''

Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Babalina.

• Thank you received: 441
1 year 2 weeks ago #539300 by Stikkibeek

First of all, that's a lovely horse.

I believe the word donkey used in that derogatory manner may have been both insult to your riding and also to your horse. A "bit of a donkey" can be fairly common in NZ in regards to a horse that might be head strong or lazy (if using sarcasm) A bit like calling another animal "a Dog" because it isn't obedient. Hard to say exactly what he meant when not able to listen to any verbal cues though

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 27
1 year 2 weeks ago #539302 by iSor

Precisely, Stikkibeek.

The mother and son seem to have a touch of bully bred in them as well.
I’m sure you can look after yourself, but when the time comes to telling them that the lease is over and where to shove their bot flies, have someone with you to back you up or you may prefer to do the termination less emotively in writing.

Good luck at getting rid of these nasty people, I feel sorry for their horses.

• Thank you received: 3
1 year 2 weeks ago #539348 by Hestia

OK, I am not a native english or kiwi.
I am a horse person and if someone said that to me it would be and insult of how I ride.
Kicking the horses sides with my feet as if I was used to rining a lazy donkey hard to get moving.
I am educated in riding as a kid by a old military man,,your feet should not show any kicking or such but gentle pressure.
I would take this as an insult.

If it was said in another way in another sentence around it would mean that they are to take away their horse and you need a donkey as acompany to your horse if it would be lonely in the paddock. Never heard the word donley used as a x clydesdale something.

• Thank you received: 86
1 year 5 days ago #539466 by max2

I refer to our horses as ''Nags'' most times which is the only ''nickname'' I can think for horses.... Perhaps they meant your horse was slow. Either or, people who says things and then won't repeat them shouldn't be saying it to begin with.

Very thoughtless.

1 year 3 days ago #539515 by max2

Is it an English slang term? On my FB page I'm a member of a UK (specific horse breed) group and someone posted on there they got on 'their donk tonight''.....

Last Edit: 1 year 3 days ago by max2.

1 year 3 days ago #539521 by Stikkibeek

I thought that was an Aussie expression. Didn't Crocodile Dundee say everyone needs a Donk!:P

1 year 3 days ago #539522 by max2

Stikkibeek wrote: I thought that was an Aussie expression. Didn't Crocodile Dundee say everyone needs a Donk!:P

Geese as the token Aussie here, I don't remember that. Maybe I need to see that movie again... But its certainly not common. :)

1 year 2 days ago #539526 by Stikkibeek

max2 wrote:

Stikkibeek wrote: I thought that was an Aussie expression. Didn't Crocodile Dundee say everyone needs a Donk!:P

Geese as the token Aussie here, I don't remember that. Maybe I need to see that movie again... But its certainly not common. :)

I think it was said when the bad guys turned up, asking him to put down his gun. CD did not have a gun he said he had a donk to which the bad guy replied, "What's a donk?"

No I stand corrected. Right film, wrong bloke. Donk!

Last Edit: 1 year 2 days ago by Stikkibeek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.