Register

Topic-icon Latest Beef Market Price

• Thank you received: 0
1 year 2 months ago #538378 by johals.raman

HI Lifestyleblock members,
I have got two steers that we are looking at selling but I would like to find latest beef market price. There is no problem about feed so I can keep them until market is good. So, is there any website where I can find livestock price. When is the best time to sell your livestock.
Thanks in Advance.

Raman Johal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 206
1 year 2 months ago #538380 by Sue

Hi and welcome to LSB!
The latest market prices can be found in the farming papers, some of which are availble on line if you don't or can't get them delivered with your mail. NZ Farmer weekly is one. farmersweekly.co.nz/

These papers usually give the saleyard prices for various classes of stock all around the country and also have a section which shows the current prices paid by the freezing works for cattle and sheep and the trend whether prices are going up or down and how they compare to the same time last year.

It depends what region you are in-South island prices tend to be lower than North Island. You are probably better off sending animals to the works if they are ready for killing-say 18 months old or more. You will then get paid on the carcase weight and grade. Selling through a saleyard means you have to pay cartage, yard fees and commission-and return cartage if they don't sell.
The prices always rise around the June/July/August time due to shortage of stock-so if you can hold them until that time of the year you may get a better price than now.

Some of the Stock agents also have web sites with saleyard prices on, like PGG Wrightson www.pggwrightson.co.nz/Livestock/Buying-and-Selling/Beef

and NZ Farmers Livestock e.g. mylivestock.co.nz/mdocs-posts/rongotea-38/

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

• Thank you received: 441
1 year 2 months ago #538402 by Stikkibeek

You might also like to monitor these sites. Beef prices

We sell to Progressive and their prices for the north are very competitive. We do have to pay freight however. If you click on beef in the column to right, you will get other companies such as Silver fern and alliance. Their prices look lower, but they pay freight. If prices are trending up or down there will be an arrow beside the bottom figure. To read these, the Kgs to kgs is a weight range at carcass weight. the figure at the bottom of each group is the cents per kilogram currently at 540 for Progressive. so, a carcass weight of 275 kilos at 540 cents per kilo would equal $1485
Currently, anywhere there has been enough rain to kick start the grass again, people will be buying or holding cattle, so the price is likely to start trending upwards as works flows slow down. Watch the trends. P2 steers can go up to 600 cents but you need to hit the market before off loading starts as winter slows grass growth down again. You can sell direct, but it is worth contacting the local markets as they will all have an agent who can advise. We use a local independent agent who charges less commission than stock and station agents do, and will organize transport and paperwork for us.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.