Register

Topic-icon Possible FE in Cattle

• Thank you received: 0
1 year 4 months ago #536970 by kaznscott

Hi Guys - We are getting the vet in BUT.... We think we have a cow with Facial Excema. She was hard grazed down the road on very long grass with 7 others during the hot humidity a couple of weeks ago. Just noticed today after being back at ours for a week she has bald round spots on her face.
If it turns out to be FE whats best? We were going to keep her and get her in calf next year, Will it carry down to the calf? we only breed to eat.
Obviously we will be checking with Vet as well. We are in Dairy Flat Auckland
Thanks for any advice
Karen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 61
1 year 4 months ago #536971 by tonic

Round bald spots, my first thought would be ring worm?

• Thank you received: 208
1 year 4 months ago #536972 by kate

It's very early for FE, I don't think that the spore counts start for a couple of weeks yet. I'd agree that ring worm would be more likely...

Web Goddess

• Thank you received: 172
1 year 4 months ago #536973 by Rokker

I would guess by your description it's more likely to be ringworm than FE. Can you post up some photos? Your cow is more likely to pick up FE when grazing hard down to very short grass. The lesions are normally seen on white areas of the hide, or areas with thinner skin, where the skin thickens and peels, leaving exposed, weeping underlying tissue. The animal usually will seek out shade.

We are approaching Facial Eczema season, so while your vet is visiting it would be a good idea to discuss your FE prevention plan with him.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

1 year 4 months ago #536975 by kaznscott

Thank you

1 year 4 months ago #536976 by kaznscott

Thank you for all yr help guys, Going to get her into the corral and have a closer look and check with Vet , will sleep better tonight now not focusing too much on FE

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.