Register

Topic-icon insect bites

• Thank you received: 0
1 year 5 months ago #536575 by Maike

When I start gardening,I get stung/bitten by an insect, not mosquito/midget or sandfly. Seems to be at random places on my body, so a bit flea like, but never more then 2-3 bites in one location.My whole body is itchy and uncomfortable and I have to abort my gardening to have a shower/hair wash and wash my clothes. Anyone out there any idea what that could be? Same thing happened yesterday as well, after I started gardening. I live on banks Peninsula and can not remember similar incidences in the last 10 years,since we live here. Our dog does not have fleas and otherwise I keep chickens.I only use natural remedies, so i would not use chemical insect sprays.
Any ideas welcome
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 441
1 year 5 months ago #536578 by Stikkibeek

Possibly grass mites, otherwise are the bites in places that have been exposed to the garden foliage you are attending too, such as bare arms for instance, as it might be a grass/plant allergy

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 166
1 year 5 months ago #536593 by tonybaker

horrible as it may seem, but don't rule out bed bugs! if the bites are clustered, ie several in one place, this is an indicator. Have you had visitors in the last few weeks? The may have brought them in, even clean people get them. The best short term solution for the itch is toothpaste! Lay it on thick and it will stop the itch and prevent infection.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

1 year 5 months ago #536626 by Maike

I think it may be argentine ants. I could be way off the track,but that would fit and we certainly seem to have a bit or an ant infestation outside. Bad news !

1 year 5 months ago #536627 by Maike

Well, it's not a grass allergy, as far as I am concerned-my guess at the moment is argentine ants.Depressing thought !

1 year 4 months ago #536876 by Maike

I now think it may have been dog fleas I caught outside the house on my way to and back from the garden.Regular powdering with diatamaceous earth did the trick to reduce numbers..We just have to keep it up in this hot weather to stay on top of it.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.