Register

Topic-icon Digital TV

• Thank you received: 172
1 year 8 months ago #534241 by Rokker

Ruth wrote: I tried one of those on my partner.

So now he's the smart one?? :whistle:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 309
1 year 8 months ago #534244 by Ruth

Constantly needs rebooting.

• Thank you received: 49
1 year 8 months ago #534262 by spark

tonybaker wrote: ha ha, such fun! I have noticed out of sync on the very odd occasion and put it down to the Freeview box. A reboot usually fixes it. I am using a satellite dish so maybe it's more noticeable with an aerial? Has anyone on here dabbled with one of those mini computers that turns your old flat screen tv into a smart one?

Out of sync or garbled picture/sound is usually caused by poor reception (Optus D1, the satellite which transmits Freeview is about 36,000 km above the equator, the Ku band microwave signal is susceptible to absorption in atmospheric moisture and a miss-aligned dish won't help either...).

If a reboot fixes your Freeview STB (Set Top Box), then it probably has software bugs - if you are lucky, the manufacturer may have released a later version which you can install into your STB (does your STB have a USB socket?).

I have not tried using a mini-computer to turn a tv into a smart-tv, but it is very easy to connect your PC to a TV and use a wireless keyboard/mouse (hint: the signals coming out of the DVI-D and DisplayPort sockets on your PC are almost always electrically compatible with the HDMI sockets on your TV - you just need to buy a suitable adaptor plug).

• Thank you received: 37
1 year 8 months ago #534286 by Wren

tonybaker wrote: Has anyone on here dabbled with one of those mini computers that turns your old flat screen tv into a smart one?

We have a chromecast which I think might be the kind of thing you mean?

We've never tried using a freeview box or normal telly at our place (I've heard the signal is rubbish in our valley, anyway), but always just streamed things from on demand or Netflix-type websites. This used to involve attaching a laptop to the TV and cables everywhere, but now we just use magic to get the picture on the telly instead. It's quite user-friendly (although I didn't do the original set-up so not sure what that takes).

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

• Thank you received: 0
1 year 5 months ago #536224 by candys

Personally I don't see the problem. I like digital tv

• Thank you received: 172
1 year 5 months ago #536227 by Rokker

Lucky you! Can we all come and live at your place? :cheer:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

• Thank you received: 441
1 year 5 months ago #536251 by Stikkibeek

candys wrote: Personally I don't see the problem. I like digital tv

I'm a Hi Fi buff with a finely tuned sense of sound appreciation. I love the clarity of sound that comes from the quad current dumper and the electrostatic speakers. I would enjoy a badly pressed vinyl LP before I would even think to enjoy the effect of lip sync sound misalignment

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 11
1 year 5 months ago #536370 by ccrk9

OMG, now you have done it, all I can think of is Buzz Bars, frozen, yummy, drooling here

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.