Register

Topic-icon Is it time, and are we young enough, for a new adventure..?

• Thank you received: 2
1 year 6 months ago #535635 by Ken001

Lol I too am in my sixties. A farm boy from Southland, lived in the city for most of my life, but the lure of open countryside was always there.

25 years ago through good luck and mindless hope, I bought 4 acres near Arrowtown. In time a house arose. And here I sit today. I still describe this have as an unexpected paradise. My parents on the farm could never have dreamed of being here. My elderly father used to come up and stay with his friends. They would go gold-mining simply for the joy of it.

So 300 acres or 3 acres, find what you enjoy. Privacy and nature is beautiful.

The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 7
1 year 6 months ago #535677 by Runamuck

OF COURSE you're young enough for a new adventure! If you're going in with your "eyes open" as they say to potential work on any given property you are looking at, and feel comfortable with it, I'd say go for it.

One of our neighbours has just turned 96. She and her husband brought their block when they were in their 60's and it was just a scrub covered mess in the middle of no-where. They built the house, mass planted timber trees and loved it. Sadly her husband passed away about 5 years ago, but she's still living there, totally off grid, still pretty much in the middle of no-where, and she has no intention of ever leaving.

I believe, but I could be wrong, that it was Lewis Carroll who said "In the end… We only regret the chances we didn’t take, the relationships we were afraid to have,and the decisions we waited too long to make.”

• Thank you received: 11
1 year 5 months ago #536371 by ccrk9

Not quite on topic but I'm in 50s with older man, and 13 years ago we moved from town to a small block of land as I had to retire early due to health issues. The idea being I could potter around at my own pace and enjoy my animals and garden and it was cheaper to live out here. Thirteen years on has seen a worsening of my health as I developed a relatively rare medical condition on top of my other health issues, its damn hard work on a small block like ours, and my man isn't getting any younger.

Yes I bitch that its to much for me. But where would I go ? Couldn't stand even living in the small towns in our area, what would I do ? sit on my bum all day watching dvds ? Our main aim now is to get as much work as possible done in such a way as to make it easier to do things as we age, yes the inconvenience of travel to hospitals outside our region is a pest, and physically its hard some days for both of us, but they will be carrying both of us out of here in a box. I horrified people when I said we were moving here. and my Drs all were absolutely aghast but I'm still here and wouldn't change it for the world. My one regret- we should have done it when we were younger. Look at your ages, the close ness of medical facilities, hospitals etc, look at the property and the house, check things like the roof- you don't want to be doing roof painting in your 70s, we re roofed in colour steel, no need to go up there. Check any property for how much work there needs to be done, fences etc and make sure you can do it sooner than later so that when you are 70 its all set up requiring only minimal maintenance. And go with your hearts. If family and friends think you are crazy (like mine did) just remember its your decision, and they are not the ones doing it. Good luck what ever you decide.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2, Mudlerk, Ruth

• Thank you received: 25
1 year 4 months ago #536954 by Belle Bosse

Fifties are a good time... you will never get any younger than 50, so now is the time to go do what you really want to do. The equipment will allow you to do so much more than you could do without it.

I'm now 54 and husband is 2 years older. We really love our 41.5 acre farm in the Far North. We bought bare land (5 acres pine, 10 acres bushland, rest pasture) in 2011. Four years work later, with orchard planted and water tanks installed, a 26 foot caravan and shipping containers for home, we moved up from south Auckland. It took a year to move everything up.
Kerikeri is an hour's drive from home, and has everything we need... except a Spotlight store... nearest is Whangerei, two hours away!

Neither of us need doctors as we take care of our own health and our food is our medicine. I have troublesome back injuries which affect how much and what I can do of farm work. There are two good chiropractors and biological dentist in Kerikeri.

There is still a heap of development work (including the vege patch) and unfinished projects to complete which will take a lot of hard work yet. But we would not have it any other way than we have now... totally Off-grid with a 5kw solar array, debt free, chemical free, clean air, clean water, Kiwi birds and clean quiet environment. And good neighbours.

The only other thing we could want is to finish building the yacht and launch it so two keen yachtsmen can finally go back to their beloved sailing. I might not be up to facing the Southern Ocean and Sub-Antarctic Islands which the yacht is built for... Pacific Islands, yes. Round the world? Maybe... that was the dream...

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.