Topic-icon cat repellant

• emumad
  • emumad's Avatar Topic Author
  • lsb member
  • Thank you received: 0
20 Mar 2017 14:52 #531234 by emumad

hi folks,

our neighbour across the road hunts cats for sport but they also have a rabbit population that our tom finds irresistible.. any thoughts on a spray or deterrant we can apply to the grass boundary outside their property to put our tom off the scent? this would need to cover 500m or so..
cheers, craig.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 145
20 Mar 2017 17:13 #531247 by Ruth

A tom? He's not desexed?

• Thank you received: 2
20 Mar 2017 21:18 #531253 by Nora

My cats hate the smell of nilodor.
Getting out the popcorn for this one :)

Ten acres in Canterbury, waiting for a good time to go back there.
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2017 21:20 by Nora.

• Thank you received: 53
20 Mar 2017 23:51 #531256 by Ronney

Craig, that is a very strange post. You're talking about a Tom cat.... why is he still entire? That is irresponsible in more ways than one. I own four cats, the eldest of which is 2 years old. Two males, two females all of which have been neutered and spayed simply because there are too many bloody cats that nobody wants without even going down the path of feral cats.

Neutering your cat may have gone some way to stop him roaming but in fairness, if food is involved that may not have worked too well. But why would you want to put a repellent around your neighbour's property? Why not put it around your own to keep your cat where it's meant to be. Having said that, I have no idea what you could use in either case as most commercial repellents need replaced on a very regular basis, or after rain. Rags soaked in vinegar keep my cats out of the new plantings in the garden but don't think your neighbour would be too impressed with a line of rags along his boundary.

He must be a peculiar person who would shoot cats for SPORT but allows the rabbits to populate. Very odd.

Cheers,
Ronnie

• emumad
  • lsb member
21 Mar 2017 10:38 #531264 by emumad

woah !! back up.. this is a 10 year old cat, desexed (as are all our cats and dogs) and normally very well behaved, he sticks to our property but in the last few days has been crossing the road to the neighbours and we want to take preventive matters before he becomes another victim..
I am about finding a solution rather than being inactive and would appreciate any thoughts on this (the mental picture of the neighbours fence festooned with rags is good though)
, regards, craig.

21 Mar 2017 11:20 #531266 by Ruth

You did refer to him as a tom.

Is your neighbour familiar with the appearance of your cats, or is he "mad and bad" and shooting any cat crossing his path? Perhaps you'll need to restrain your cat for a while, in the hope that might deter him from wandering as far from his known territory? It's impossible to stop cats exploring as far as their own-defined territorial boundaries unless you physically stop them going.

• Thank you received: 243
21 Mar 2017 11:57 #531271 by Stikkibeek

Here's an idea for the neighbours fence.

Your only other hope, is to firstly ask the neighbour not to shoot your cats (because they help to keep the rabbits down), or, build an aviary-like type of enclosure to put all your cats in, as they do in some areas of Australia. Some good examples under Cat enclosures.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 115
21 Mar 2017 12:07 #531272 by Rokker

emumad wrote: woah !! back up.. this is a 10 year old cat, desexed (as are all our cats and dogs) and normally very well behaved,

Therefore he's referred to as a Neuter or Gib - not a Tom.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!
Last Edit: 21 Mar 2017 12:07 by Rokker.

• emumad
  • lsb member
21 Mar 2017 13:14 #531274 by emumad

ok folks, her'es a thought, a work colleauge suggests that a hedge or border of plants that cats do not like the smell of may help, keeping them in rather than out , has anyone had success with this method? a little research suggests lavender (which we can plant in abundance and good for bees too) and a few other plants may be useful...we are trying methods to keep him around home and will keep you all posted if we have results with anything.
cheers, craig.

• Thank you received: 14
22 Mar 2017 17:38 #531296 by jeannielea

I think you can get a reflector collar but not sure if its for cats or dogs.

22 Mar 2017 19:22 #531300 by Ruth

Do you mean to make the cat easier for the cat-shooter to hit? ;)

• Thank you received: 53
22 Mar 2017 23:50 #531309 by Ronney

Right, others have sorted out the problem with what is a Tom cat so we'll forget that.

I doubt lavender is going to do the job - all four of mine sleep together under the lavender bush at the end of the house. They come inside smelling lovely. In fact I have to say that over 40 years of owning cats in different homes with different gardens and plants, has shown that nothing upsets them. But certainly plant a hedge, it won't hurt and the smell could go some way to masking the smell of rabbit. By the way, are these rabbits he's breeding or has shot?

Given that your cat is 10 and has been in your life a long time, I think I would bite the bullet and look at keeping him as an indoor cat for a while - and with winter coming up that may not be so difficult. I would hate to do it to mine as they are indoor/outdoor cats but we are over half a km from our neighbours in any direction so it's not an issue. However, in a situation such as yours I think I would do it to make sure they lived to a healthy age. Better than being squashed on the road or shot by a gun-happy idiot - and I used to shoot but not cats! Or talk to the person, explain what is happening as ask that he leaves your cat alone and shoos it away loudly. But then you would have to trust that's what they would do! I don't trust people like that.

As I said, most repellents need replacing frequently and are not rain-safe - even the vinegar rags need replacing after rain as does bleach. It could become an expensive and time consuming exercise. And that's about all I can offer.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Last Edit: 22 Mar 2017 23:53 by Ronney. Reason: changed things around a bit.

• Thank you received: 28
23 Mar 2017 20:16 #531324 by Anakei

There is a product called Skunk Shot which is a dog and cat repellent. Its quite expensive from memory but is fairly rainproof and a little goes a long way. Our local garden centre sells it.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

• Thank you received: 4
26 Mar 2017 14:51 #531357 by ccrk9

Talk to your neighbour. He must identify his target so make sure he knows what your cat looks like. Ask nicely if he could flick you a txt or ring if he is going shooting so you could get your cat in. Ask him if he sees the cat at other times to discourage the cat by a hose or bucket of water to send it home. I doubt there is anyway you will stop the cat wandering short of locking him in permanently. You could try for a week, lock him in then release and see what happens. That's what I do when one of mine starts to vanish overnight, it seems to break the habit for a bit. Cant see how you stop the cat crossing the boundary line. Or when we had a trigger happy farm worker who was shooting the wild cats on the farm nextdoor close to us, as soon as we heard the shots we lept out of bed, turned on every house light and called our cats in, disturbed his shooting with our lights and he soon got the hint. Lucky his boss told him to stop shooting the wild cats on the farm as they are good rodent control. Good luck

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Time to create page: 0.335 seconds
Go to top