Register

Topic-icon Farmside's new satellite...

• Thank you received: 309
2 years 2 months ago #530356 by Ruth

Is anyone else on their new satellite (since they went off IP Star and onto Optus)? Are you finding you're using more data than you did before? I have a nasty suspicion this new connection does a great deal more 'handshaking' to keep the connection active than the old one did and it's nearly blowing out my 10GB/month plan. That'll suit Farmside nicely when I have to upgrade or pay for more data, but it's a pain in the arse! Or is it something else going on? I'm not doing anything different than I used to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19
2 years 2 months ago #530359 by Deanna

I heard Spark were taking them over!

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

2 years 2 months ago #530366 by Ruth

If that's true, things will only get worse.

• Thank you received: 19
2 years 2 months ago #530372 by Deanna

That was my thought too. The 'Mr' heard it on the radio yesterday. Please let him be wrong this time, I won't mind in this instance.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

• Thank you received: 49
2 years 2 months ago #530397 by spark

Ruth wrote: [SNIP] I have a nasty suspicion this new connection does a great deal more 'handshaking' to keep the connection active than the old one did and it's nearly blowing out my 10GB/month plan.[SNIP]

Farmside's new satellite modem might do more handshaking but I'd consider it quite unfair for this to be counted against your data quota.

Something to be aware of is that if you have a windows10 device connected to your network (a guests laptop or tablet?), depending on its configuration, it may be sending windows updates over the internet to other people's windows10 devices;
"By default, Windows will automatically use your PC’s Internet connection to upload updates"
https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/
(the old satellite modem or ISP may have been blocking these update uploads for you, and you may only be seeing a problem now because the new system doesn't block them?)

Does Farmside give you a "data usage meter" website etc that you can use to tell you how much data you have used/how much you have left?
If so, it would be interesting to put a spare "computer" between your Farmside modem and your network (the details are a bit technical - I won't describe here), and using that spare computer to keep a log of your data usage. Then you can compare your data usage log to Farmside's "data usage meter" - if there is a big discrepancy between the two, then you might have a case to argue that Farmside's data meter is not "fair" and therefore dishonest (eg imagine the power company used an electricity meter for your home which say over a month records 800 units used when you actually only used 600 units, or the bowser at the service station measures 40 L of fuel dispensed, but it actually only put 37 L into your vehicle...).

• Thank you received: 4
2 years 3 weeks ago #531419 by powerguy

I upgraded to the 4GB package but download speeds are pretty much the same as the old 1GB pack, marginally better than a good urban dialup!

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

• Thank you received: 0
1 year 1 month ago #538562 by Susan.g

Im finding that since Farmside changed to Optus we are going over our quota more often too. We are on the 10 gig plan it use to be enough, we do nothing different than before but I end up having to turn it off towards the end of the month or get another bill! Im fed up not going to pay anymore than we are so looking to changing providers. Anyone got any suggestions .. looking at Gravity? seems cheaper but slower and has a massive set up cost.
So much for broadband to rural areas, we have no cell coverage and satellite is our only option for internet.

1 year 1 month ago #538566 by Ruth

We're still in that same position. I think the data problem is partly because they've extended their peak hours. I used to do quite a lot of work before 10am, when the off-peak hours ended on my plan and instantly noticed how much more of the peak data I used. At the end of the year we "upgraded" to the 20G plan, instantly dropped in speed for several months, during which they attempted to fix the problem and I paid for enough data to actually have a look at a bit of video but could never do so because the feed was so slow. They're a shit company but changing at this point is too costly to consider worthwhile. Come the end of this enforced contractual period (when they changed satellite) I'll be considering the options very carefully. Already looking ...

• Thank you received: 0
1 year 1 month ago #538599 by Susan.g

yes, the change in peak times did make a big difference to how we use it. I find myself having to wait up till after midnight to do most stuff or traveling to the library. Not sure how long we have to run on our contract but we will be getting rid of it as soon as we can.

1 year 1 month ago #538600 by Ruth

I couldn't afford the loss of sleep to change my work programme that much. Mostly I used the off-peak in the morning and the hours before 10am always allowed me at least an hour or two of work time, even if I slept in. These days it's just chance if I get up early enough to get anything done before 6am but paying the extra for the bigger allowance has stopped me having to worry about going over, although I did intend to drop it back down again. Stressing about it is a pain and I need it for some of the work I do and some of that does suck a bit of data. Fortunately the bones of my arse are presently well-enough covered for it not to be a problem. ;)

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.