Register

Topic-icon Printer

• Thank you received: 0
13 years 3 months ago #3653 by grannie Mary

My printer has decided not to work. Probably because I have been using cheap refills!!!!
Any recommendations of what is on the market to buy or leave alone.
I dont want anything flash. mainly invouces etc.
Is it cheaper to buy the cheapest printer & carry on with TM cartridges, or buy a laser??

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #83969 by ame

Hi,

Laser printers are cheapest per page, but colour ones are still quite expensive so you might be limited to black & white. Also, if you are on alternative power you may find you do not have sufficient power to start up the print- it takes a lot at the beginning of each page.

Inkjets are absurdly cheap, at less than $100 for a new one that will even do photo quality output. However, as you've probably realised, you are royally reamed for the cost of the ink! Refilling cartridges is not detrimental to your printer but IMHO a genuine new cartridge is better quality than a refilled one.

Don't forget- new inkjet printers generally come with tiny amounts of ink in the cartridges, just to get you onto full priced cartridges as soon as possible.

Here's a link to an interesting discussion about this topic:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Printers/Q_20733448.html

Google around for specific information on the particular printer you are interested in (for example, I didn't know about the 4-pass lasers mentioned in the link. Of course they'll be slower and more expensive.)

Good luck,

Andy

PS I am very happy with my HP 948c, but then I hardly print anything. I just bought a second hand HP 850c for a friend for $15, and half a dozen cartridges on TradeMe for $60, which I think is a bargain.

13 years 3 months ago #84080 by grannie Mary

Thanks. I will buy the cheapest, & the TM cartridges, it just has to work. nothing flash

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.