Topic-icon Biolytix waste water problems

• Maungamutu
  • Maungamutu's Avatar Topic Author
  • lsb member
  • Thank you received: 1
12 Nov 2013 11:16 #36374 by Maungamutu

We needed to replace an old original septic tank system which had never worked or been looked after by the previous owners of our lsb.
So we saved up a bit and opted to install a biolytix boipod (environmentally friendly and all that) about 20 months ago and at a cost of $17.5k +
I thought the install was a bit rough at the time but was working long hours and couldn't oversee what was going on.

Anyway this winter the dramas started! Alarms going off and tank flooding with ground water ( $1000 to fix that + after already paying $290 services) Then 2 weeks later same thing happening again. Installer/service agent comes and bypasses a whole lot of stuff and basically says .. nope don't really want to work on it any more unless you pay to pull it out of the ground (its concreted in)

So it has been limping along for a month or two until this weekend when the pump out pump gives up completely. I'm not happy that all these costs are coming back onto me!?? A friend has also has his Biolytix rebuilt in the 2nd year of it's life by same agent and I've heard of one in Hamilton completely floating out of the ground!

I'd be interested in feedback from any lsb members that have one of these systems in the greater Waikato/King Country areas or even further afield too. Lots have been installed and the science/operating theory behind the system is sound, but am I the only one having these major issues! O boy (knocking head on computer desk)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 37
12 Nov 2013 16:52 #474678 by max2

Get onto the Aussie owners of the business right away !!!!

We were going to go down the biolytix track and looked extensively at it.

During this time it was my understanding there were ''upsets'' within the NZ arm of the business. We then had a couple of different reps for the NZ side, which never seemed to last. The quotes between those reps varied widely.

So first try the Aussie people as they were very honest in explaining the situation to us when it went pear shaped here.

Secondly, if you have no joy there engage a waste water engineer to review your set up. We ended up with a soak away system designed by a WWE and approved by our Council, and it works brilliantly as well as being the absolute most economical solution.

Good luck!

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
12 Nov 2013 17:48 #474682 by Maungamutu

swaggie;477698 wrote: Get onto the Aussie owners of the business right away !!!!

Yes The Aussies did own it when we had it installed...then our bad luck, shortly after we had it in the ground they went into receivership after the Queensland floods and sold the business to NZ firm in Auckland (no one told us that though) And guess what else!! The installing plumbing business has also changed hands (no one told us that though). ow! ow! ow! (banging head on table again)

At the moment our $17.5k + investment in our properties future looks like a pretty worthless plastic tank buried in the ground outside the house!

That raises the question on their current website stating a vessel warranty of 15 years and a pump warranty of 2 years. Should this become void if the business changes hands cause this is what they have implied to us?

I've got a couple of interesting days ahead I think. New service agent hopefully coming to look at it tomorrow.

12 Nov 2013 18:35 #474687 by max2

Gosh that sounds terrible but not unexpected considering our short experience of the NZ side of things. Why we went the ''other way'' and I think it was pumpkin girl on here who told me about waste water engineers and the cost which was delightfully surprising. [^]

At that stage (perhaps 6 years ago?) the NZ bit was franchisees (??) including the plumber doing the installation and work, if you dealt with the one we did after the other NZ couple took off, he was the official NZ rep, Aussie always was a separate arm to what happened in NZ.

Something must have gone terribly wrong along the way.... :(

Can I strongly recommend rather than looking at the tank and pump as being a waste of $$'s, you get a waste water engineer in ASAP as another form of opinion against the new ''service agent''?

I am sure there are components you can re-use even if it needs re-siting with far cheaper to non existent servicing costs.

12 Nov 2013 18:36 #474688 by max2

ps if you get stuck, our guy is based in Pukekohe, if he doesn't do your area, he should know of others to recommend or at least discuss the issues at hand and make other suggestions perhaps?

• Thank you received: 82
12 Nov 2013 19:12 #474694 by Hawkspur

The waste water engineers that I have dealt with highly recommend Biolytix as a system for many situations.

You say your system is flooding with ground water: what has caused this? How is the groundwater getting in? Is it sited in a low point that gets ponding from rainwater?
Was the system rebuilt with new worms, peat etc. after the flooding?

Get whoever services it to check whether you have an alarm that lets you know if there is a blockage in the filter bed (before it can build up and flood the control box).

One suggested thing to check in any septic system of this type is restricted flow through the the dispersal field/irrigation bed:
If you can get the service agent to check the flow by fitting a temporary meter between the pump and the tank outlet. Any flow under 12L/minutes is too low, and may indicate a biofilm buildup on the irrigation pipes.

(NB: regarding the tank that floated out of the ground: Any tank if it is not full, the groundwater is high and it has not been appropriately anchored, will float/ be pushed up by groundwater. It is an installation fault.)

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
12 Nov 2013 19:16 #474696 by Maungamutu

I have a waste water engineer guy living about 4km away from me, he's ex council and not that excitable, after asking him to come and look 4 times when we were quoting the job - I gave up.

We kind of want what we were promised.... AND paid for (the day after it was installed!)
Hopefully we won't have to rip this one out and install a different system [:(!]

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
12 Nov 2013 19:27 #474697 by Maungamutu

Hawkspur, slightly off topic is that a Berner in your avatar? We have a 3yr old boy "Bruce" and he is really great (might train him to eat plumbers yet[;)])

I think one of our biggest issues was that agent/plumber/installer was not up to it, unsure how many truly qualified drain layers actually worked on the project - who would normally ask?, maybe should do more often! How ever if that's the suppliers agent he has to back them.

12 Nov 2013 19:42 #474701 by Hawkspur

Maungamutu;477717 wrote: Hawkspur, slightly off topic is that a Berner in your avatar? We have a 3yr old boy "Bruce" and he is really great (might train him to eat plumbers yet[;)])

I think one of our biggest issues was that agent/plumber/installer was not up to it, unsure how many truly qualified drain layers actually worked on the project - who would normally ask?, maybe should do more often! How ever if that's the suppliers agent he has to back them.

Yes, my avatar shows our BMD, Pippin. Sadly long gone, but well remembered, and the best dog in the world (according to his unbiased owners). :D [;)] We really love the breed.
Unfortunately he and our previous dog, a Newfie, both had significant and hereditary medical problems, so we have very sadly resolved not to get another pure-bred. :( A mix with a true working breed, eg: huntaway/Bernese cross would be very, very tempting though.

Good luck with the septic system. I hope you get someone who knows what they are doing, and who will turn up and do it!

13 Nov 2013 09:45 #474734 by max2

Maungamutu;477716 wrote: I have a waste water engineer guy living about 4km away from me, he's ex council and not that excitable, after asking him to come and look 4 times when we were quoting the job - I gave up.

Give Bob Tilsley a call 09 238 3245 Tilsley Engineering. I can't recommend this guy enough. If he doesn't service your area, ask him if he can recommend someone good who does.

We kind of want what we were promised.... AND paid for (the day after it was installed!)
Hopefully we won't have to rip this one out and install a different system [:(!]

There is no ''system'' as such to ours apart from the main tank, a distribution point and lots of piping underground where the soak away occurs.

However if the company has gone belly up, then there is little you can do unless you can find out if Dean or whatever his name was has started up again as another business. You could search the australian companies database to do a director search using his name.

I just found him very helpful and I feel sure he would be able to give you pointers via email as to where its gone wrong for you esp. if you can send photos too. I too felt the system was awesome, just the people this end sadly let it down too many times.

13 Nov 2013 10:00 #474740 by Hawkspur

The Biolytix company that went belly up was the Australian company, and that was in January 2011.
As I understand it, a New Zealand installer took over the non-Australian part of the company in order to keep a good system in production.

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
13 Nov 2013 11:17 #474750 by Maungamutu

Yeah I think the Australian company of boilytix is now completely non existent and by trolling the www some Aussie outfits are offering to retrofit the tank up with something else.

I'm getting a site visit tomorrow so see how that goes.

I do think the product is good when it is working - don't get me wrong, but a good product with no back up support is worthless

- Hawkspur, we do get quite damp here in the winter (not anymore than any other low-lying Waikato area) and that is one of the reasons this system was presented to us rather than having force-feed drainage feeds.

I just don't think it's a "Fair Go" that after 18 months of service from this system I should have to pay for it to be rebuilt, do you? Or am I being too hard? They did a couple of mods. and I had it serviced to the letter as required.

13 Nov 2013 13:13 #474758 by Hawkspur

No it doesn't sound fair at all. Something is obviously wrong, and you should not be expected to sort it out because you cannot be expected to know the ins and outs of septic systems.

The only things you can be in control of are what goes into the thing, getting checks done as recommended, and alerting the service people if an alarm goes off...which you have done, (and it is up to the installer and supplier to make sure you know these details).

13 Nov 2013 21:12 #474797 by max2

Hawkspur;477767 wrote: The Biolytix company that went belly up was the Australian company, and that was in January 2011.
As I understand it, a New Zealand installer took over the non-Australian part of the company in order to keep a good system in production.

I was dealing with them for our NZ site well before late 2008 when I rocked up here full time, having come back and forth for the previous xx amount of years beforehand, having hooked up with a kiwi country bloke back in aussie. :rolleyes:

I remember making the (then) guys a cuppa in our shed down the road that we would stay in during our trans tasman journeys.

At that stage the NZ arm was clearly franchised owned albeit through several quick succession ''owners/reps''.

It was those fellows and one or two succeeding ones who let the business down in my eyes and I wouldn't be surprised to hear of shortcuts being taken. It became extremely hard to deal with a NZ entity who was willing to come to our West coast NI property.

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
13 Nov 2013 21:29 #474801 by Maungamutu

swaggie;477831 wrote: It became extremely hard to deal with a NZ entity who was willing to come to our West coast NI property.

So much has changed in the 18 months we've had this one in the ground, which alone makes it very hard to recommend as a sound investment to anyone in the future?

A new boilytix biopod was being installed yesterday I believe on a west coast NI property, north Kawhia vicinity (I've had my eyes wide open and nose to the ground) - Still plenty being sold.

14 Nov 2013 07:58 #474830 by max2

Maungamutu;477836 wrote: So much has changed in the 18 months we've had this one in the ground, which alone makes it very hard to recommend as a sound investment to anyone in the future?

A new boilytix biopod was being installed yesterday I believe on a west coast NI property, north Kawhia vicinity (I've had my eyes wide open and nose to the ground) - Still plenty being sold.

I'm up near the boondocks near Port Waikato. From memory the plumber who took over from the two Rotorua based guys was from northland??? I'm stretching my memory now.

All I can add is that I wish you well with your attempts in getting yours fixed. I am extremely happy with the direction we went. Far cheaper, works, no on going service fees and the worms (albeit the ones in the ground) are delighted.

• Thank you received: 4
15 Nov 2013 15:02 #474951 by ccrk9

Time for Fair Go on TV I think. This has got me wondering now as we are in high water table area and have an old septic that plods along nicely despite ground water getting in during winter.

But an empty house up the road just had a new septic put in before it goes on the market. I wonder if its a boilytix. Must investigate as that property is worse than ours for flooding in winter.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
16 Nov 2013 08:43 #474997 by Maungamutu

Fair dues to Mr biolytix so far, they came down from Auckland to look - and to look after their company name, even though they didn't sell or receive any money for this biopod. We are working on a bit of give and take at the moment because the people I need to deal with now are completely different businesses/companies that were around when it was installed.

It appears that the plumbing firm from Te Awamutu that installed mine and many others around this area did a rushed, expensive and poor jobs (which is what I ended up with) I regret using them, the warning signs were there. I have switched to another service agent in Hamilton and sort a testimonial from one of their customers who had some teething problems with their biopod, who is now very happy.

On a side note, while we were discussing on site I mentioned I had my mother-in-law staying with us while she was undergoing chemotherapy for 4 months which they said I was lucky to get away with entering the biopod. Don't know if everyone with a biolytix or similar system would be aware of that? But what else can you do in that situation?

Currently monitoring water ingress - still a work in progress, but now getting some better support.

16 Nov 2013 12:57 #475011 by Hawkspur

I am glad you have had that good response so far. I hope things get completely resolved.

That's a tricky one regarding the chemo...not all people going through that could cope with any "alternative arrangements". :( I Hope she gets well too.

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
22 Jan 2015 15:26 #501467 by Maungamutu

An update on this.

Came through the winter and it leaked again and flooded, killing all the worms. Got it drained, bought more worms and then carefully watched it till it could be serviced and checked over a bit better ( servicing is now required every NINE months now we are told on these systems??!! )Had the service done - $400+ and told the status.
Alarm faulty between house and tank, drainage field is too blocked, still has ground water ingress into tank. It's basically a lemon
Know of one other near that has similar major issues after having work done to it also.

I'm not to keen to spend big money on something that has performed so badly after a few years, so probably have to install a complete new system at our own cost!

Anyone out there wanting to buy a second hand Biolytix biopod?

02 Feb 2015 20:48 #502000 by max2

I missed your update (sorry) but whilst searching for one of my own, came across it.

I see a regular advertisement for the product from some plumbing company. Is that who you have been dealing with?

Is it too late for the consumer guarantee act for you with the original franchisee.

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
08 Feb 2015 09:45 #502281 by Maungamutu

The current plumbers selling and installing them now want nothing to do with any Biolytix systems not installed by them - they don't even want to do a basic service. I've been dealing with someone contracted to Biolytix Auckland. They are trying to do right by the brand name, but all costs are on me still. What annoys me the most is that every time a serviceman comes to work on it there is a change or modification/update on it around how it should be working, which kind of makes me feel like I'm paying for all their product development !!!

08 Feb 2015 19:51 #502316 by max2

I really feel for you! Whilst silently ecstatic we didn't end up with one....

So from memory (please correct me if I am wrong) the aussie inventor sold out leaving you further in the deep and wrigglies... but you still have a permanent tank in the ground with a certain amount of tunneling or channels for the waste water to disappear into.

Have you considered going back to basics and use that tank and channeling to re-configure what you are doing?

We didn't end up with the system (as you may have gathered from our posts) but have a tank that gathers our waste and then disperses it over a variety of underground channels and pipework through our orchard.

Main waste is supposed to be pumped out every 5 years or such but we haven't come across that issue yet. All designed by a local waste water engineer and far cheaper than the original bio proposal.

21 May 2015 17:29 #506903 by Philp

Really interested to hear any other stories around the Biolytix system, we have had no end of trouble with ours and expense...... we are not new the to lifestyle gig - have lived rurally on septic systems for over ten years. Its only been in the ground five years, first two years it was okay - next three it has cost me a small fortune to keep it from overflowing and spilling raw sewerage everywhere.... which has happened several times. I realise that there was some history with Aussie/NZ but quite frankly this excuse doesn't wash with me - our problems started after NZ took over and they have been more difficult to deal with they refused to return calls, had no service agents and I ended up having to pay local plumbers/electricians to come and help get it working again. The one time we had a "qualified" service agents out he managed to crimp a wire when putting the lid back on after supposedly servicing it which resulted in it shorting the pump out and another $800 electricians bill.....for me.......

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
24 May 2015 09:29 #506988 by Maungamutu

Feel for you Philp, ours is limping along just and is due to blow another pump any day. In the mean time it's using about 20% of our household power usage!!
What part of NZ are you? A mate who also has one of these lemons has had his flood recently too. We are on the 3rd set of plumbers/technicians and still haven't found someone that truly has the answers. I'm thinking the best person to work on it now is myself cause of had my head looking down into it that often.
I truly do wonder how long the current NZ manufacturers will stay solvent because of the reliability of the things.
Interested in "fair go" anyone ?

21 Aug 2015 14:47 #511332 by Philp

Soooooo the end result of talks with Biolytix over the last 12 months is I am expected to foot the bill for a complete rebuild of this tank. Furious as it has been in the ground five years, and despite pouring thousands into repairing it to keep it functioning - it is completely useless. I wonder if anyone else in NZ has gone ahead with a rebuild and if it worked..... or if the tank just craps out again (excuse the pun). Biolytix are only prepared to offer a two year warranty on the work and then have quoted me $250 plus a plumbers time to do the servicing..... which has to be done every 9 months. Hynds Lifestyle system is looking very appealing right now..... what a huge disappointment to have so many hollow promises made.......and yes - this feels worthy of a Fair Go episode!

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
25 Aug 2015 08:26 #511464 by Maungamutu

yeap ours is still leaking, our friends one has just died and flooded twice lately. They shouldn't be able to be installed new anymore but they are still selling them with a website quoting some bullcrap warranty!!
Some of the responsibility should really fall back onto the council authorities that signing off compliance for these things?!!
What part of the country are you in Philp?

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
25 Aug 2015 08:34 #511465 by Maungamutu

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1637931
Just look at these problems the Aussies have had with the systems.
Some idiot gave the biolytix systems some flash award in Australia and everyone rightly thought it was good enough to buy - only problem it was wasn't really tested or proven.
The manufacturers in Aussie must be breathing a sigh of relief they went into receivership before all this came out!!

02 Sep 2015 12:56 #511905 by Philp

Yip - well I have well and truly given up on getting any reasonable sort of a response out of Biolytix NZ.. ever since NZ took it over they have been a shambles to deal with, I have spent over twelve months trying to get some sort of answers out them in regards to what my options are to fix this system which appears to have never been fit for purpose. They sent one of the service agents up to replace the 3rd pump (in five years) and he managed to divert our drainage field onto our driveway drains and for the past 7 months have had raw sewerage oozing down our driveway. Bet Council would love to fine me for that environmental breach!!!! I have had lots of false and hollow promises and continual fob offs by the owners and staff. They suggested I pay them to rebuild the tank at my cost of over $4,000 - but were only willing to offer a 2 year warranty on the system after that..... oh and they were using my rebuild as a training exercise for the newly appointed plumber down here. They then told me I should be expecting to pay $500 servicing fees every 9 months...... this has been such a nightmare and has cost so much more money than we ever envisaged. I can't see how it is fair that when NZ took the operation over (and all of our troubles began with this system because we could not get service agents or any intelligent response out of NZ Owners). But they appear to simply get to wash their hands of previous installs and have no liability because the are a different legal entity than the company that installed the system.....again - we had not problems with the install but since NZ have taken it over and could not supply reasonable service - our troubles began. I would have to say BUYER BEWARE - VERY AWARE of Biolytix - the system appears to be a lemon with "fly by night" service agents.

02 Sep 2015 16:44 #511916 by Philp

Maungamutu;518522 wrote: yeap ours is still leaking, our friends one has just died and flooded twice lately. They shouldn't be able to be installed new anymore but they are still selling them with a website quoting some bullcrap warranty!!
Some of the responsibility should really fall back onto the council authorities that signing off compliance for these things?!!
What part of the country are you in Philp?

Hi - I am in Wellington.

02 Sep 2015 18:01 #511921 by max2

As previously posted we seriously looked at the system but the changing ownership and some shifty offers put us off. We ended up going through a local waste water engineer and I think stretching the memory our system cost around $8000 odd and 6 years later we have not had an issue with it.

My advise is to make an appointment with an engineer who specialises in waste water and see what they come up with. I would not go buying another treatment system again (had two in Aussie) after this installation.

28 Jun 2016 18:03 #523034 by Nikki_d72

Hi all, i know this is a bit of an old thread but thought I should post my experience in case it helps anyone! I had a similar problem with a tank that was installed on 2011. I think it lasted a couple of years then flooded. As we are in such a dry area (Hawea near Wanaka) there was no way it could be claimed to be groundwater at the time of year it occured.

When I called the agent, who was also the plumber who did my house, he told me Biolytix had gone under in Australia and were in new ownership operating out of NZ but he was still the agent for them in this area. He got in touch with them and was told that there was a common fault with that run of tanks, as the manufacturers had decided to install a second airiation line to down under the last layer of filtration cloth, so into the sump. This was creating an upward pressure on the underside of the cloth, preventing liquid from getting through fast enough, which led to a layer of biofilm forming and blocking it completely. From there the tank floods as there is no way for the liquid to get down into the sump to be pumped away.

Their answer was to fit a small pipe through the bottom cloth poking into the sump, with it's top up above the high water line of the tank to balance the pressure. I'm not sure if they also disconnected the other airiation line or not though. They also told him to poke several small holes through the filter cloths to let the water run away and assured us that the biofilm would be eaten off once it had drained, which he did with a sharpened length of piping from the top and a bit of brute force.

I wasn't sure about this line of remediation so made a bit of a kick up, and my plumber told them he would no longer be their agent unless they took on the warranty and guaranteed what they were telling them to do. lo and behold the director came down from Auckland to look at the system and reassure me, my guy must have been doing good sales and had a bit of clout! I was worried about the yukkies bypassing the filters and it just being raw sewage that was coming through but he showed me a sample and it was clear with no scent. Ours was designed to go into trenches through the lines as we had too many surrounding bores to fit in the irrigation dripper lines so it was getting secondary treatment there too.

Anyway the end-up was they agreed to guarantee it and the system did indeed dry out and was restocked with worms (a double dose) a few weeks later and all has been good since. I had it serviced recently and it was going for gold, there were so many worms they seemed to be trying to crawl up the sides, probably trying to get to the exit, poor things. It can't be good Karma really, can it, trapping a few thousand worms in a giant plastic tub and making them eat your poo for their lifetimes! :) Who knew worms could climb! The pump and lines were cleaned, checked etc and all was good. The system is now about 6 years old so it must have been repaired about 2 years ago.

I know it may just be luck but I thought I should share the fact that the extra air line going under the last filter cloth caused this fault. So if you are getting them looked at, maybe ask the service agent or plumber to check and see if it is there as it's quite an easy fix, apparently (crosses fingers).

If it genuinely is groundwater ingress though, my guess is it was set too low into the ground? It just shouldn't be able to get in there unless through the lid? Which should come back to the installation, surely? The consumer guarantees act gives you 6 years to complain and if you have given them reasonable options to repair and it still hasn't worked you are within your rights to ask for a new one. The problem comes when both the installer and manufacturer have changed hands though, they legally don't have to take on the last companies liabilities, only the assets, which sucks. But if they want to protect their name, maybe they will oblige if threatened with Fair Go?

Did any of you get anywhere with getting them properly fixed?

Hope that helps someone.

The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

19 Jul 2016 12:02 #523545 by Philp

I had a similar experience with the Auckland guys coming down to work with the newly appointed local installer can't say it resulted in the experience you received. My site did not have groundwater as an issue, and had gravity acting in its favor..... but the issue was a "design flaw" in this model of tank and they wanted to rebuild it. Of course this trip was not free - I was charged - think I was paying for them to train the new local installer who billed me for the privilege!! I gave them every chance to make things right (including paying the $900 bill in good faith that they would eventually do the right thing). After months of chasing, lack of information/communication on what options were available I gave up. The Biolytix NZ staff, the owner Karl, the local installer Andy Magee Plumbing were all bitterly disappointing in the supposed knowledge for the system and they way it worked, as well as professional/business ethics. They were quite happy to take my money but when rubber hit the road to offer solutions or fixes they happily hid behind the "no liability" due to the company changing hands....... they wanted to take my money but they would offer no guarantee on the repairs they were proposing to make to the system or it functioning the way it was advertised to. Anyway onward and upwards from here - I have since warned 8 people of the perils of installing these systems my experience with the poor service ethic of Biolytix NZ and the local installer..... which has resulted in people choosing/installing brands that actually are proven to work (Hynds and Oasis) and have reputable service agents in place.......
Anyone that has one of these installed should be prepared to rip it out at some point and replace it - in my experience they are a ticking time bomb..... It wouldn't surprise me to see Biolytix NZ feature on FairGo at some point........ there are many stories like mine around the country it seems........

22 Jul 2016 09:29 #523655 by max2

I think I mentioned this before but when we had them out to quote on a system (and this would be well over 7/8 years ago) there was a ''cash'' deal offered if we went through the two gents who came out and were the reps at the time. In hindsight I'm not sure what they would have installed had we gone through with the deal as I don't know how they could have hidden the order from the Aussie inventor who owned the business at the time (which is where we saw it first) but they were quickly gone thereafter and eventually a plumber from up north ?? took it over.

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
15 Aug 2016 09:37 #524295 by Maungamutu

Mine is still limping along just. I'm waiting for it to fail altogether then I'll rip it out and replace it with a decent system. There was/is a guy that is floating around the upper North Is that is somehow aligned/connected to the Biolytix NZ manufacturer who is doing services etc on them, but if there is a major problem happening he doesn't seem to return phone calls?
In operation and initial installation these systems have far too many quirky problems that are beating the experience of any good drainlayer in NZ. They look good on paper but let them selves down badly in practice.
Bottom line is councils shouldn't allow them compliance to be installed

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
15 Aug 2016 09:48 #524296 by Maungamutu

Philp wrote: Anyone that has one of these installed should be prepared to rip it out at some point and replace it - in my experience they are a ticking time bomb..... It wouldn't surprise me to see Biolytix NZ feature on FairGo at some point........ there are many stories like mine around the country it seems........

Yep waiting for the fair go program too, inevitable.

• Thank you received: 256
15 Aug 2016 13:48 #524310 by Stikkibeek

Maungamutu wrote: Yep waiting for the fair go program too, inevitable.

You could start the ball rolling and put in your own complaint. That ought to bring others out of the woodwork.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Maungamutu
  • lsb member
15 Aug 2016 18:52 #524319 by Maungamutu

Have been thinking about putting an ad in the regional paper to flush (pun) more disappointed users out, but its draining enough fighting our own losing battles sometimes.
There obviously is interest in this topic because this thread has over 5800 views !!!

15 May 2017 18:53 #532663 by Blurple

We have had our Biolytix BF6 installed since 2005.

Had to make the alarm panel up myself from off the shelf components as ours went missing when the Rotorua crowd went bust.

A few years ago we had the bio-film issue but pretty much have it sorted now. Comes down to an annual bleaching and a very large home made plunger which takes me about an hour or so on a warm sunny day! At the same time I'm cleaning the pump and checking the worms and rotating the bags a bit.

I have sealed the join between top and bottom tank shells ( about 400 mm below surface ) with PVC tape, so that stops water and root ingress.

If I ever need to rebuild the tank and remesh and fill new sacks etc the other modification I would do would be to install a small diameter pipe beside the large pump chamber but stop the small pipe on the filter mesh - have a few holes in the bottom of the small pipe and use that with a level switch in parallel with the top float switch ( High level in pump chamber ) to alert that there is a high level ABOVE the final filter as the normal pump high alarm does NOT indicate that you have a biofilm restriction as it is only there to say the pump has failed essentially. Adding the extra switch allows the standard alarm to show either pump failure or filter blocked - but thats better than having no alarm at all as the tank fills up and the pump doesn't see any liquid through a blocked filter!

The one call I had with the Auckland guys was answered promptly and I had their local engineer visit at the time ( 2012 I think ) - nice guy and very helpful, certainly can't knock the service from that side of things...however the Rotorua Guys and the Te Awamutu installers etc way back in 2005 were a vastly different story - so I guess it all depends on the customer service of the people you have to deal with.

• Thank you received: 0
16 May 2017 15:10 #532690 by AndreaBosshard

Hello, we are in the process of planning a small 70m2 off-grid house near Middlemarch. We need to sort out a system to deal with black and grey water. I have looked into NaturalFlow, as it doesn't require constant power which is real plus when off-grid. Then I came across Biolytix, spoke to the technical sales person there, who laughed and said beware, when I told him I'd been looking at NaturalFlow system. Was interested in people's experience with the Biolytix system, which is how I came across this forum. I have found very little (3 postings) of independent reviews of NaturalFlow (which were all positive). Any one out there who has this system in place? What are your thoughts? Thanks, Andrea

22 May 2017 18:43 #532851 by Blurple

I'm guessing this is sort of off topic a bit - but you never know .....We are off grid and Biolytix ( at that time ) had the lowest power usage for a full treatment system - and still does I think. Any system that requires a pressure dripper field will have a pump as it requires high pressure for the drip system to work. You can only get away without the pressure pump if your system ( including Naturalflow ) is installed on a slope and with a soakage field ( so the field type will be defined by your sewerage engineer and or council ).

Any stored liquid prior to pump out should be aerated to reduce odour and allow aerobic action to continue before distribution.

We were above eventual waterways so decided to go with a dripper field - the main pump in the biolytix should only start based on volume inflow reaching a high level switch - so infrequently. The continuous air pump is not really noticed on our system, I have quite a few parasitic loads for convenience really - so sized the solar accordingly anyway. As we were off grid I chose the non telemetry system ( local alarm box ) to ensure I had the lowest power usage I could get.

NO system is maintenance free but the LOWEST maintenance requirement is the good old anaerobic septic tank with a soak field....just call a pumper truck every few years to suck out the solids...no moving parts, no power and someone else does the hard yards!

The Natural Flow/Biolytix comes down to a one tank system or two by the looks of the Natural Flow website - and the fact the final filter may be much easier to clean with the NF... Take away all the puff words etc and they look like the same basic system....worms precomposting then liquid out via filter....

Decisions on systems come down to what you are allowed to do yourself ( and what you want to do ) - if you have to rely on the service guys for an annual visit then you are basically stuck with paying their price....and from what I have heard some people are just getting rorted plus
installation price and on going service costs, plus any costs that may mean additional power components...i.e . bigger array etc

Good luck with your selection.

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds
Go to top