Which cordless phone for big properties?

More
10 years 8 months ago #35716 by markhillhouse
Hello
We are just moving to our first LSB. We have no mobile phone coverage in the area and we were wondering which cordless phone is best to carry aroudn while working out on the property. We looked at EnGenius which sounded good but all the reviews say the products are rubbish and not reliable. Anybody got any experience on with other models/brands?
Cheers
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #467513 by Blueberry
we bought one that said 600m reach - but out in the open, it does not even reach halfway down the orchard (200 meters) and then you can't understand a bloomin' word!

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 8 months ago #467515 by kalnetta
Why Not buy a couple of C.B. radios but make sure that they are rechargeable.
We have two and use them all the time when We are lambing.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
10 years 8 months ago #467516 by igor
What about an answering machine? Do you really need to have a telephone within reach the whole day long? Or just have a normal landline. If it is important they will ring back. If it was not important who cares if they never ring back?

More
10 years 8 months ago #467517 by KaiapoiKen
Agree with Igor. Easiest and cheapest answer. Kalnetta has the answer if you need to keep in touch with each other around the property (Health reasons perhaps?). Friend has that set up on his place down south and he farms 100h. It works well as, naturally he has no landline cover when he is out on the farm and his wife has some health problems.

More
10 years 8 months ago #467519 by max2
We run another business from home so I carry ours around during the daytime (because you know the minute you get to the washing line someone is going to call) and its a uniden.

Very happy with it, lasted longer than panasonic although they were good when we had them. We had this one in Aussie so its at least 7 years old, if not longer.

For longer distance stuff, we use small children standing on high points to pass messages along. :D

More
10 years 8 months ago #467526 by muri
Yes uniden, 2km range then it might cover 1km, They never do the range they say.
I get a two phone one and ones that have an aerial on the base tend to give you better coverage, especially if you site them near a window towards the direction you are usually moving in
I have very variable reception across my property, no explanation as to why and its not the lowest points that are the worst either

More
10 years 8 months ago #467549 by 4trees
Hi, Uniden are good, we put an outside aerial on the house, and the guys at the Telecommunications Shop in Palmerston North -Adamson & Holland changed the fitting to work with the outside aerial whole set up cost $30.00 7 years ago, has base plate at the house and portable handpiece.
We have go 60 odd acres and we get coverage pretty much everywhere.
Only suggestion is not go to the popular big stores, see someone who is in telecommunications they should be able to help you out with an effective system. Cheers

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
10 years 7 months ago #469198 by markhillhouse
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will be getting voice mail on the land line but for work it would be better to have the uniden solution as well.
Cheers

More
10 years 7 months ago #469666 by Toast
Small children on high points ..... now that's interesting.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
10 years 7 months ago #469667 by Toast
Speaking of phones - the other day I was asked for several security questions when registering online. Not sure why they needed several, it was only to be registered on their site for job alerts. Anyway, one of the questions was, what was your first phone number so my answer was 26X. Bet that got them going!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
10 years 7 months ago #469668 by igor
long short short long, that was my nanna's ring.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds