Register

Topic-icon Xtra rip off

• Thank you received: 0
13 years 3 months ago #3530 by Hasbeen

I am with xtra for broard band & was quite happy till I went to the batch.
With dial up I took the Laptop to the batch, plugged into the phone line & away it went.
Came the day & I grabbed the DSL Modem & off to the batch. No luck doesn’t work. Wee talk with xtra.
Oh yes, I still have dial up at $2.50 per hr; while xtra get my $44.98 for free the month I am at the batch. I think it stinks.[xx(]

Anyone know of a better deal for my situation?

Recovering Lifestyler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #82815 by wino

Pretty sure my xtra agreement says I also have unlimited dial up in that flat fee should I need it for whatever reason. Might pay to recheck. Sometimes they have no idea what they are talking about.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

• Thank you received: 21
13 years 3 months ago #82841 by Inger

Hello Hasbeen (no offence!),

Unfortunately, what you have been told by XTRA sounds correct from my experience. You have the option of signing up for other dial-up plans, but if you don't do so, XTRA will charge you $2.50 for each hour on-line. Perhaps this one might be best for you:

Xtra Prepay 150: $16.95 for 150 hours online

150 hours would be plenty for a month wouldn't it?

Regarding your DSL Modem, you have to understand, it is tied to the physical phone line you have broadband installed on, which in your case is at home. Getting broadband installed at your bach (even assuming it's possible) and disconnecting it at home, then doing the reverse after you return home a month later will be quite expensive (2 x $50 disconnection fees) and so definitely not worth it, even if it was possible to get it done in time (highly doubtful at this time of year).

This is a classic case of Telecom having got you by the balls. I got stung for an "early disconnection fee" when I moved from Orcon to World Exchange after about 2 months (even though I still had broadband on the same phone line). I didn't bother reading all the fine print at the time of joining and was rather miffed when I found out about 6 weeks after leaving Orcon that they had charged my credit card for the extra $50. It seems that Telecom charge other ISPs a "churn fee" whenever somebody changes their ISP. All they have to do is reprogram a few settings at the exchange...

Once again, Telecom wins and we suffer the consequences.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Grant.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Registered Gotland Sheep
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a previously...

13 years 3 months ago #82904 by Hasbeen

Thanks everyone;
I am just mad about them getting my money for nothing while I am away & then charging me for a few moments to pick up the email & check favourite sites.
I am old enough to know winning is almost impossable --- butI do have time on my hands & a computer. Think I will start with the Consumer
Could be a dangerous combination if there are enough of us tough old birds out there.[:o)]
Don't take too much notice I am practising for Hogmanay Hic[:I] Slainte!

Recovering Lifestyler

13 years 3 months ago #82918 by ame

Hi,

If you are only connecting by dialup for a short time then you could sign up for Freenet. It's free if you don't use more than 2 hours (I think- check their website www.free.net.nz ). Basically it costs $15/mo, but if you use less than the limit then you aren't charged that month. You pay in advance, so you give them $15 straight away, but that $15 will sit there forever until you use more than the limit in any particular month. If you are using broadband at home then you won't be using dialup, and if you only go to the bach a few days a month then you are not likely to use more than the limit.

Andy

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.