Register

Topic-icon Fisher Paykel Thyme Oven

• Thank you received: 0
7 years 1 month ago #30848 by Simkin

A few days ago I cooked jam on very low heat when suddenly the element was red hot with the jam bubbling over. I can still turn off the element but no matter whether I turn it on low or high it's on high. The oven is about 4 years old.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I mentioned it to a friend and she said she has got 2 such faulty elements on her Thyme oven.

As I reckon that this is a serious problem I rang the fire service and the receptionist there told me that it happened to her, too. Same brand.

Consumer affairs told me to sort it out with F&P.

I spent close to an hour on the phone with a very friendly lady there who checked the model number against their file and also contacted the technical team. Result: Not a problem that happens frequently and the thermostats wear out after a few years so just normal wear and tear. They would charge over $100 just to assess the problem so I said no, I'll keep the evidence.

I've filed a complaint with Energysafety.

I think sooner or later someone is going to die because of this malfunction. It's different from something 'not going' - that's inconvenient. This is dangerous.

What else can I do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6
7 years 1 month ago #415554 by Mich

Hi Simkin - we have the Pepper model and are currently having the same problem with one of the elements. Have had one fixed once before and I suspect it is just wear and tear. Not a biggie to get fixed, but it IS annoying and potentially dangerous. Good that you were on hand to deal with it, rather than being somewhere else and coming back to an even more nasty surprise.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

• Thank you received: 1
7 years 1 month ago #415560 by Andrea1

We had a Simpson glass topped range that, after only 2 years, started to have this problem, in eventually 3 of the 4 burners (you should have heard me rant about that (*&#$(#*&@$(*#@& stove!). Turned out the thermostats crap out and only operated on the one setting. From what DH read and was told by appliance part supply place in Chch that this is a very common problem. In the 5 years we owned the piece of %(*$#Y%(#Y#@OI stove, we went through 9 thermostats. They cost about $55 each for the part, and if you know what you're doing, you can fix it yourself. However, to get a repair person in to fix it we would have been looking at $150+. Simkin... email me and we can figure something out to help.

• Thank you received: 47
7 years 1 month ago #415684 by 4trees

Hi simkin, I have had that happen and we just got a new element from the electrician and as our elements just unplug put a new one in and the electrician checked that the switch was OK and all fixed. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

7 years 1 month ago #415733 by ronnie

I have exactly the same issue with the oven here. As we live in a rental, not sure if it is up to the landlord to fix or us ??? It is a real nuisance as it is the large, front element that does it.

7 years 1 month ago #415740 by Xartep

Our ceramic hob has one of those elements too, only worked on super high. $55 for a new thermostat, lasted less than a month. The element still works but barely. I work around it now. And am pricing up a new kitchen range so have decided its not worth bothering about.

But I would be mightily annoyed if it was a new unit.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

7 years 1 month ago #415742 by Aria

Contact Fair Go - sounds like a very common problem and the question is whether 4 years of normal operation is/isn't reasonable for the EOL of a thermostat. I agree - it's a very dangerous matter, I would have thought there should be a failsafe which totally shuts off the element if/when the thermostat fails.

• Thank you received: 9
7 years 1 month ago #415744 by arnie.m

We swapped to a Gas top and have never looked back, fantastic to cook on and instant change in heat as well, very easy to control.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

7 years 1 month ago #415752 by Xartep

arnie.m;412458 wrote: We swapped to a Gas top and have never looked back, fantastic to cook on and instant change in heat as well, very easy to control.

That is our plan also
Doesn't require electricity to work either

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

7 years 1 month ago #415764 by Andrea1

arnie.m;412458 wrote: We swapped to a Gas top and have never looked back, fantastic to cook on and instant change in heat as well, very easy to control.

THis is exactly what we did when we re-did the kitchen. No way was that piece of dangerous junk going back in! I grew up cooking with gas (cook top and oven), and I'd missed it for a long time.

7 years 1 month ago #416040 by Simkin

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I have in the meantime talked to Energysafety which is the equivalent of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs but responsible for electrical matters.

They told me that this element blow-out is a known and accepted mode of failure and that cooking is an attended activity.

However, as I insisted that it is unacceptable that a component that used to last for 40 years or more (none in our old stove failed) he offered to look into this and maybe get someone to contact F&P.

I will send him a link to this thread as this shows how common this problem is.

So please - don't hesitate to add more evidence.

Thank you!

7 years 1 month ago #416051 by Andrea1

Who on earth is going to 'attend' to a pot of preserves simmering on the back of the hob? Even if I don't leave the house (just to go out and tend to something on the property, leaving the house to LEAVE the property and having the hob or oven on would be a big mistake... in fact, I don't leave any whiteware running if I'm leaving home), I often leave the room when I've got something slow simmering on the hob...

7 years 1 month ago #416053 by Aria

Simkin;412777 wrote: Thank you everyone for the replies.

I have in the meantime talked to Energysafety which is the equivalent of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs but responsible for electrical matters.

They told me that this element blow-out is a known and accepted mode of failure and that cooking is an attended activity.

However, as I insisted that it is unacceptable that a component that used to last for 40 years or more (none in our old stove failed) he offered to look into this and maybe get someone to contact F&P.

I will send him a link to this thread as this shows how common this problem is.

So please - don't hesitate to add more evidence.

Thank you!

But as I understood it - it isn't an "element blowout"... that would be fine as at least the element would be off in a blowout. I understood this to be a case of the thermostat for an element failing - leaving the element on full bore. Perhaps the Energysafety person didn't quite understand?

7 years 1 month ago #416054 by Simkin

Exactly, Andrea. How on earth can be expected to stand beside the stove at all times just in case an element's thermostat fails. Who knows how many house fires can already be attributed to this. The person who this happens to probably feels guilty as and in fact it is the slack attitude of the whiteware manufacturers that makes this so much more common than it used to be. Thumbs down!

I should really contact a few insurance companies and ask them what they think of this. Maybe that gets the ball rolling.

7 years 1 month ago #416111 by brodie

Yup same model and age(approx)1 element blew and tripped the fuse,every time it got turned on accidentally after that it tripped the circuit breaker and one element that is like yours-either full on hot no matter what setting or it's off at the dial.

2 dogs,2 kids,goldfish,20-ish chooks,2 axolytl,2 turtles,Lotsa free-range pigeons, budgies, pekin, cayuga & muscovy ducks + their babies, 5 horses,a cockatoo called Charlie and no money...[:D][:D];)

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.