Welcome to the Waitakere's

More
8 months 1 day ago #558980 by mattib
Hi All,

My wife and I wanted to move a little further from the rat race of Auckland, but still be able to commute (so we could still work keep her in the lifestyle she wants to become accustomed to ). My wife wanted someplace with a bit of lend so she could go ferrel but it wasn't really practical/cost effective with a parent living with us, so instead we managed to move into a place in the Waitakere ranges the day before the cyclone, which was a hell of an initiation. Power and internet out for weeks, what started as 3 roads in ended up in 1 backroad access, barely any cell coverage (sounds of townie hell lol)... blah blah blah. However we are loving living here mostly peace and quiet, away from the sound of police cars and regular police helicopters hovering, surrounded in the beautiful bush. Unfortunately the previous owner was a poor DIYer who cheaped out on plenty so there are many things to do ranging from general tarting up to big fixing/replacing jobs. I'm and engineer and love giving it a go myself if it is done properly, the wife's 1/2 Scottish so doesn't like to pay if she can help it ). Its our first place with water tanks and septic tank as well which has been challenging, but we are slowly getting used to that side of things.

Anyway i have been hovering about reading all your great input, thanks for all the hard work helping out. I have joined up to get some more info and questions, hopefully my newbie questions wont be too much.

Living with my head in the clouds in the Waitakere Ranges

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 day ago #558982 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Welcome to the Waitakere's
Welcome to the forum!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mattib

More
8 months 22 hours ago - 8 months 22 hours ago #558984 by tonybaker
welcome and sorry about your baptism by fire and flood! You will find most answers on here, someone amongst us has been there before so know the answer. When you ask a question, try to give as much info as possible as that helps us suggest a solution, don't just say "my water pump is not working" rather say how old it is, what make and model, where the water comes from etc. Good luck and welcome!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last edit: 8 months 22 hours ago by tonybaker.

More
7 months 1 week ago #559043 by Ferrit47
Replied by Ferrit47 on topic Welcome to the Waitakere's
My Mother used to live out at Bethells Beach up where The Old Boarding House used to be many years ago & I spend many Happy Times out there too. But Mum has moved away from there now. I miss Bethells Beach lots too. Such a Lovely Area too.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds