Retained testicles

More
8 months 1 week ago #558961 by Haylee1992
Hi all. Very new to farm life.
got 3 babies off the hobby truck, and it looks like improper bandings been done and I can feel retained testicles. The bands already started cutting the sctotum so I can cut and do it again. They are 5 weeks old. 
my question is will this effect their quality of life ? Do I need to worry about them setting sick from this or having health issues. Ultimately they were going to be freezer in the next couple years. And one for a pet. But just wanting to know if this is even possible now with this issue. [object Object]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #558962 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Retained testicles
Hi, welcome to lsb!

Just as background, the most humane method of castrating calves is to use a rubber ring while the animal is less than 4 weeks old. It's best to do it between 7-10 days old. You can't legally castrate calves over six months of age without the use of local anaesthetic.

If they're already ringed then the scrotum and testes (if they're in there!) will already be shrivelling and dying. I would find out how long ago they were ringed then chat with your vet about it. You may have to have the retained testes surgically removed or just leave them.

Web Goddess

More
8 months 1 week ago #558964 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Retained testicles
Sorry, I misunderstood...
No problem health-wise at all. They wont be fertile but may show more aggression than most steers but it happens a lot!

Web Goddess

More
8 months 1 week ago #558966 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Retained testicles
Calves that have been castrated so that there is a testicle remaining can still be fertile. They will tend to have bull attributes, so will fight amongst themselves, and will be more dangerous than steers to humans, especially if they are tame and do not have fear of humans.

More
8 months 6 days ago - 8 months 6 days ago #558968 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Retained testicles
If the bands are already cutting the scrotum, then it is already too far to try and redo. Did you mean hobby truck or Bobby truck? i can't imagine any farmer putting bands of bobby calves that were going for slaughter. The main thing you need to do if it's not too late, is to give the calves at least 5-1 injections as this has an anti tetnus component and raw wounds could be an opening for tetnus infection. They need two jabs a month apart. The first one sensitises and the second, protects.
Poorly castrated bull calves can be very troublesome. As others have said, they grow into as dangerous as some bulls can be, so making pets of them is not a good idea. You can get your local vet to remove a testicle that has been left, but this can be costly.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 8 months 6 days ago by Stikkibeek.

More
8 months 5 days ago #558969 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Retained testicles

Hi all. Very new to farm life.

Being very new, you may be mistaking the appearance of the castration area.  Get your vet to check and do anything if necessary.  You won't want testosterone-charged animals around but what you are seeing/feeling could be wound-related swelling.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds