Mower recommendations please

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #558718 by GJ
Hi all, this is my first post here and I’d be grateful for your advice and recommendations for the best type of mower to buy for 4.4 acres of gently sloping lawn. Factors in the mix are:
- the land is just lawn and won’t be used for anything else (eg animals)
- there will be a few trees dotted around but not many
- the current old Husqvarna 48inch lawn tractor takes 4hrs to mow the lawn, I want to get it done in 1-2hrs
- I don’t want a zero turn mower with lap bars
- I’m unsure of what other tasks I will need to get done but highly likely to include cutting down and removing tree branches (section is bordered by native bush), gorse spraying and spraying along fence line, moving items like compost, garden box materials around. I will likely also need to transport wheelie rubbish bins approx 500m for collection each week

Current options I’m considering:
- Cub Cadet Force SX48 zero turn w steering wheel, plus a trailer
​​​​​​- Cub Cadet Z154S commercial machine w steering wheel (eye watering price though!), plus trailer
- Quad bike (maybe Polaris Sportsman) w Tow and Mow or similar attachment for lawns, plus trailer
- maybe small compact tractor but these seem expensive and not fit for purpose Re lawn mowing
- a lawn tractor w steering wheel, but only if it was fast enough to get the lawn mowed in a couple of hours max

I’m planning to keep the existing Husqvarna initially while we figure out what we want to and what type of vehicle would best meet our needs. Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #558720 by tonybaker
I would keep the Husky and fit a towball to it so you can do all the work with the tree branches and spraying with it.Take the cutting deck off and sell the deck. It really is difficult decision as to what make to buy as there is no guarantee that a named brand will be any better than a cheapie. If you have a dealer nearby who has been in business for a number of years and is likely to remain so, go with what they sell. Do you need one that can pick up the clippings near the house? Mine has that option which I really like as it leaves the lawn very clean and striped looking, nothing worse than those lines of decaying grass.
It does seem rather a shame that all that grass is going to waste, but I imagine the thought of sheep and fencing is a bit much. For speed of mowing you can't beat an old tractor and a rotary slasher.
Of course you will ask the dealer to let you have one on appro for a few weeks before any decision is made to purchase.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #558721 by GJ
Replied by GJ on topic Mower recommendations please
Hey Tony, thanks so much for the advice, some great points I hadn't thought of. Much appreciated!

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #558807 by WoodyChip
GJ - curious what you decided upon, as Tony made some really good recommendations. 

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds