Water security

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #558596 by Tony Weddle
Water security was created by Tony Weddle
One thing that has been on my mind recently is how do I get my tank or bore water when the power is out. It's hard to find hand pumps here, though I did find a bore pump in the US (expensive, especially with the freight). I wonder if anyone has a solution?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #558597 by Andrew_C
Replied by Andrew_C on topic Water security
Hi Tony ... We looked at solar pumps, for a back-up (bound to have some sun .. eventually!) which if you are pumping to a holding tank, could be a solution. The React pump will pump to a head of 160m and with an upgrade, up to 300m... (BUT it wont lift from a bore, Surface pumping only!) With a couple of 3 way valves you should be able to plumb it in with your existing mains pump system, so change over may be simple!
React Pumps - www.solarwaterpump.co.nz/

For a bore (or any other water source), Able Solar sell the Lorentz range of pumps, BUT you obviously have to pull the mains pump out of the bore first... (Unless you can hang it above?)
www.ablesolar.co.nz/

The other alternative is a petrol/diesel generator. Issues with that include:-
- Cost
- Fuel going stale
- Needing to test run it on a regular basis

But then solar is not cheap either....

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #558602 by Tony Weddle
Replied by Tony Weddle on topic Water security
Thanks, Andrew. Yeah, I'd thought about solar but that would still be a temporary solution, though I may consider it again. That react pump kit looks fairly expensive, though, and without the timber sub-frame.

For the bore, there may be room above the existing electric pump, or even alongside it. I did find this "simple pump" made in the US: simplepump.com/

They ship to New Zealand and the price, including shipping seems comparable to the solar pump. They have a couple of pumps, one of which would be suitable to fit on a water tank.

I'd like to get a header tank and pump to that (in this case, a windmill pump seems appropriate: www.windmills.co.nz/main.htm ) but I'd have to build the header tank, which would officially need a building consent above 4 metres.

Still pondering and was hoping others had been through this process.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #558605 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Water security
the best setup is to pump into a 15,000 litre holding tank and have a surface pump to supply the house from it. You don't want your deep well pump going on and off every time you turn a tap. Probably your best bet is to use a petrol generator as back up as you can power your well pump from it and the house pump plus lights. Windmills are noisy and need maintenance working at heights.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #558608 by Tony Weddle
Replied by Tony Weddle on topic Water security
The bore was intended for something else but now provides backup to the rain tanks, which supply the house and shed. So it only gets turned on for that purpose (to fill the tanks). However, if there is a long drought and no power, that would be a problem. Andrew mentioned some of the downsides to a petrol generator but it's not a route I want to go down, anyway.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds