Newby looking for a beast

More
1 year 2 months ago #558365 by alexx.debeer
Hi everyone,

My name is Alexx. I'm new here, and to be honest, I wasn't sure where else to go with my strange request. Or even if it is allowed to be asked here.
I am looking to a by a beast that we can use for home kill. I'm just not sure where to start looking. We have someone we always buy from but they don't have any available now. We always use Flemmins homekill in Te Awamutu, so if someone could please help me I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Alexx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #558367 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Newby looking for a beast
Do you mean a cattlebeast?
Do you have any other cattle you are in charge of/care for on a day-to-day basis?
How long would you be keeping this animal before homekilling?
Unless you keep it for 28 days beefore killing, or already do the day-to-day care for animals of this type, it would be classed as 'select and slaughter' and be illegal.
www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/8347-A-Guide...d-Recreational-Catch
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
1 year 2 months ago #558368 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Newby looking for a beast
You could register for NAIT (assuming you are not already) and have a chat to a stock agent for your area.  He could/you could bid on one (ensure the calling agent knows you are only after one and not the entire pen) at the prime sales day held at your local stock yard (weekly) sales.    

From there you would need decent handling facilities at home as well as fencing.  Loading ramp and the like.   

Your main concern is if you are new to this, is the wait time for any good homekill operator to be able to book your beast in.   

More
1 year 2 months ago #558376 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Newby looking for a beast
I hope you've got other cattle to keep it company. They are herd beasts and don't handle being alone, especially if they're young.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
1 year 2 months ago #558399 by alexx.debeer
Thank you everyone for the feedback. This is really an eye-opener for me.

Thank you again.

More
1 year 2 months ago #558401 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Newby looking for a beast
Why don't you go to an independent butcher and ask them for a quote for one cut to your specifications?   All you need to worry about is the freezer space then. 

More
1 year 2 months ago #558417 by Equinebiz
Replied by Equinebiz on topic Newby looking for a beast
I often see people post on our local area facebook page asking for one, so i would try that. Especially in your area there should be plenty around. We just sent some to the yards last week or could have sold you one.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds