Topic-icon Sheep grinding teeth

• RKH
  • RKH's Avatar Topic Author
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 0
30 Jul 2006 12:18 #6018 by RKH

Hi there, I'm new here but have been watching and reading for some time. Can anyone tell me why a sheep would be grinding its teeth? She seems to be doing it heaps and wonder what it might mean. Thanks for your help (in advance).

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jul 2006 13:07 #109118 by Ghilly

Hi and welcome,
My suggestion is it could be in pain...
I know goats grind their teeth when in pain....

Plenty of sheep people here to give you a more definative answer though. Hope it's nothing serious.

Yakut

• Thank you received: 18
30 Jul 2006 14:09 #109120 by Kilmoon

Sheep will usually grind their teeth when stressed. Is this ewe doing it when yarded or when you approach? ie: what is the context when she grinds?

• Thank you received: 17
30 Jul 2006 14:25 #109122 by Inger

Our old Wiltshire ewes (not human friendly) grind their teeth and stomp their feet when cornered in the yards. I guess its the sheep version of the Haka. 'Don't mess with me'.

135 acres in Bay of Islands, including around 90 acres of Native Bush. Which is currently For Sale.
Pedigree herd of Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Soon to add Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Gotland Sheep and Polled Wiltshire Sheep. Will also include Black Wiltshires soon
LOTS of wild birds incl. 10 Kiwi and lots of Weka. We also have frogs and a Heading Dog called Lad.
New addition is a feral kitten called Pusscat, in the process of being tamed.

• Thank you received: 6
30 Jul 2006 17:30 #109135 by reggit

Same, Inger, we have one ewe that does that when yarded, bloody loud too, can hear it some distance away!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• Thank you received: 57
30 Jul 2006 17:35 #109138 by cowvet

Aggitation, stress, pain, Preg toxaemia, listeria....probably an endless list - whether it serious or not depends on the context as questioned above.

I love animals...they're delicious

• RKH
  • valued contributor
30 Jul 2006 19:45 #109148 by RKH

No she's not yarded. She has had lice recently but all treated and rid of them. Although she's lost a bit of wool (she's an Arapawa). Yes it's very loud can hear her from over the paddock. Thanks for all your answers!

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

• RKH
  • valued contributor
30 Jul 2006 19:47 #109149 by RKH

Also, she doesn't seem to be off her food but is sometimes trembling slightly and tends to stay away from the other sheep a bit (that could be just me being paranoid though).

• Thank you received: 6
30 Jul 2006 19:49 #109150 by reggit

Has she been with the other sheep for long? If she is a newby could she be feeling a bit stressed as not part of the original flock?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• RKH
  • valued contributor
30 Jul 2006 19:54 #109153 by RKH

No she's one of the originals, it's very strange. She's a funny looking thing at the moment with her patchy wool, maybe she's embarrassed? Just kidding, it is actually starting to concern me a bit. Keep running up to check on her, she's a typical Arapawa, quite approachable but doesn't like to be touched and is starting to prove a real handful to catch. Thought maybe if I could get some drench into her it may help......suggestions please....

• TITPLR
  • Visitor
30 Jul 2006 21:09 #109158 by TITPLR

Think worms

• Thank you received: 17
31 Jul 2006 00:12 #109172 by Inger

Wouldn't hurt to worm her.

135 acres in Bay of Islands, including around 90 acres of Native Bush. Which is currently For Sale.
Pedigree herd of Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Soon to add Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Gotland Sheep and Polled Wiltshire Sheep. Will also include Black Wiltshires soon
LOTS of wild birds incl. 10 Kiwi and lots of Weka. We also have frogs and a Heading Dog called Lad.
New addition is a feral kitten called Pusscat, in the process of being tamed.

• RKH
  • valued contributor
31 Jul 2006 08:06 #109174 by RKH

Thanks guys, was thinking that but good to have it confirmed. Will try to catch her again today, might have to wait for hubby to get home though cos she's a bit of a handful!

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds
Go to top