Topic-icon Calf feed

• denbrulewtom@hotmail.com
  • denbrulewtom@hotmail.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • New lsb member
  • Thank you received: 0
09 Oct 2018 15:44 #542710 by denbrulewtom@hotmail.com

Hi everyone.
New at rearing calves, we have two 4 week olds (for beef). I've got a question:- I've got Fibrestart as a meal for them and I was advised to feed a handful to them when they suck on my fingers. This is great and I get some in them every time. But - they don't appear to be eating it of their own accord. I have some in a bin for them ad-lib. They have a pasture and are nibbling on the grass and drinking the water. Should I be worried if they are not interested in eating the Fibrestart on their own? If so, should I try them on another meal? Look forward to hearing advice & your experiences.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 56
09 Oct 2018 18:05 #542713 by Cigar

A quick Google suggests you should be feeding Fibre start with meal, not instead of meal, so I would mix some calf meal in with it. It may take a while for them to get into it, so only offer smallish amounts, increasing the amount if they are eating most of it each day, or throw it out and replace with fresh stuff every few days if they aren't eating much.

The following user(s) said Thank You: denbrulewtom@hotmail.com

• New lsb member
09 Oct 2018 18:16 #542714 by denbrulewtom@hotmail.com

Thank you for your advice Cigar. I'll be popping down to Farmlands tomorrow.

• Thank you received: 10
09 Oct 2018 22:19 #542716 by Povnation

We find that at 4 weeks old our calves don’t have too much interest in meal or grass/hay/silage. Definitely have it there for them ad lib but you’ll find as they get to 6 weeks ish the meal bowl willstart to be empty each morning which is a good thing to see. I would recommend the Moozley from farmlands, I think it’s a NRM feed, calves seem to enjoy it!

• Thank you received: 1
11 Oct 2018 12:33 #542738 by Stormer

You can't go past FiberGain as a rearing product. No point feeding predominantly grain products to a ruminant animal if you want it to do well in the long-term. We will never go back after using this product, you can see the difference straight away....on the paddock!

• New lsb member
12 Oct 2018 07:44 #542756 by denbrulewtom@hotmail.com

This sounds silly - but on my receipt I've got FibreStart. It was only when I went to Farmlands that they told me impeccably that I had bought FibreGain. I dug the packaging out and indeed I have been giving them FibreGain. Duh!
Like your calves "Povnation" they aren't showing any interest in it apart from off the hand (unenthusiastically) when suckling. At the moment I leave a little out and am sure I'm feeding the local bird life......will be lovely to see an empty bucket eventually. Nice to have an endorsement "Stormer" Thanks everyone.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Go to top