Topic-icon Weeds for animal health

• natacha
  • natacha's Avatar Topic Author
  • lsb member
  • Thank you received: 6
08 Oct 2018 15:56 #542691 by natacha

Just wanted to share a natural remedy for animal health we and others have used successfully. It's about a common plant considered a weed in most places, called fumitory. We used it for a pet lamb who was scouring and bloated (bacterial infection in the gut), the vet had given it antibiotics and offered to put it down as nothing seemed to help. That night I gave it the juice of pounded fresh fumitory diluted in water. From then on she recovered fast. She was on 1/4tsp fumitory, garlic and water twice a day for three days, then we reintroduced milk slowly. Any sign of bloating, we cut out milk. We kept going with the fumitory for another week or so.
The lamb is still alive and well.
I recently gave a friend the same protocol to follow for a scouring calf (scouring with blood in faeces). Two days later the calf was running around back to health.
Another friend uses it for digestive complaints herself.
The easiest way to use it is to put a big bunch of the fresh herb in a pot, add a little bit of water at the bottom then pound to release the juices. I then freeze it in ice cube trays, take out as needed.
Hope some of you find this of some interest :)
I would love to hear of other natural remedies people use for their animals.

Last Edit: 08 Oct 2018 15:57 by natacha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 169
11 Oct 2018 15:32 #542742 by muri

Koroiko or Hebe Stricta is a well known remedy for scours and works well with all animals and humans. It has been widesly used by the maori as a stomach complaint remedy for many years. Its pretty magic with the speed with which it works

• natacha
  • natacha's Avatar Topic Author
  • lsb member
  • Thank you received: 6
11 Oct 2018 18:19 #542746 by natacha

Sounds awesome Muri, we have planted lots on our property. Unfortunately our stock can't self medicate on it as it is fenced off. How would you recommend preparing it?

• Thank you received: 403
11 Oct 2018 21:00 #542753 by Stikkibeek

I think that's supposed to be Koromiko. It has also been reclassified as Veronica Stricta

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 169
12 Oct 2018 15:47 #542761 by muri

Thanks Stikki, yes Koromiko.
Although Hebes have changed their name, most people still think of them as Hebe

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds
Go to top