Register

Topic-icon Lamb safe with ram who is not her father

• ChrisJR
  • ChrisJR's Avatar Topic Author
  • New lsb member
  • Thank you received: 0
19 Jul 2018 13:41 #541040 by ChrisJR

We have inherited an orphan lamb who is nearly ready to be weened.

Is she safe to be in the paddock with the ram who is not her father.

Appreciate it may depend on the ram's temperament but just in general terms should it be ok or a definite no-no.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Baroque
  • valued contributor
  • Arapawa sheep wrangler & spinner of fine wools
  • Thank you received: 29
19 Jul 2018 14:18 #541041 by Baroque

Not unless you want her to have lambs far too early!

I would not keep a lamb with any entire until you are ready to breed.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

• Thank you received: 358
19 Jul 2018 17:20 #541044 by LongRidge

If you are in NZ, it must have been a very early lamb from a seasonal breeding ewe to be near 12 weeks now, so born early May. After trying early weaning very unsuccessfully, we now never wean before the end of 12 weeks, or when it gets to 20 kg, whichever comes last.
If your lamb is from a seasonal breeder dam or sire, she is extremely unlikely to get pregnant before 23 December (or 23 June in the northern hemisphere), the longest day. Most seasonal breeders don't start oestrus until after the longest day.

• Farmersden
  • advanced lsb member
  • Thank you received: 29
19 Jul 2018 19:49 #541045 by Farmersden

We run our ram with the sheep all year round, its just easier. The lambs don't get pregnant until they are mature enough to do so. Only down side is that we don't have a distinct lambing season, benefits are we lamb across different weather and grass does better!

• Thank you received: 30
19 Jul 2018 21:31 #541049 by VioletFarmer

I would never put a ewe lamb in the same mob as a ram. Even with a quiet ram, I just could not be bothered watching my back every time I moved my females. And even though the common thinking is that 'seasonal breeds' won't be cycling until autumn, I saw too often my parents Romneys with an 'oopsie' out of season lamb or 10 due to a rogue ram lamb. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

• Thank you received: 61
20 Jul 2018 10:08 #541055 by Mudlerk

I once put a 10-year-old Wiltshire Horn that I had decided shouldn't have any more babies back with the flock in mid-August, and came home from New Year's at the beach to find her with a lamb. Since then I have been a dedicated member of the 'no such things as seasonal breed' camp!

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds
Go to top