Topic-icon M. Bovis milk testing

• max2
  • max2's Avatar Topic Author
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 64
18 Jul 2018 13:40 #541028 by max2

Does anyone know if milk testing for MP. Bovis is ongoing and repetitive for farms or just a once off if negative? Reason being is that our stock agents are asking farmers bringing feeder calves to the sales to provide a copy of their milk test results for the records prior to the sale of feeder calves. However new properties are being declared NOD so I'm wondering if early tested farms are being re-tested time and time again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 321
18 Jul 2018 15:32 #541029 by LongRidge

Absolutely no idea but I would hope that farms with negative results are being tested over and over again. I would have thought that testing could stop when the disease was shown to be present. If anyone is bringing calves in from an infected herd, then that person would also bring in a form from when the herd had not been infected. Thus the stock agent request and the "clear" note is absolutely worthless. If I were buying bobbies from the saleyards I would be phoning MPI and checking that none of the sellers had non-movement orders before I took them home :-(.

• Thank you received: 35
18 Jul 2018 15:47 #541030 by Kilmoon

My understanding is that there will be several rounds of milk testing for all dairy farms/herds - it's to catch those calving cows that are stressed and thus will indicate more easily the presence of M.bovis. Hence MPI/govt are re-evaluating their attempts at eradication in the late spring, the several rounds of milk testing (as cows calve/are stressed and then milked) will show up how widespread the disease is.

• Thank you received: 174
18 Jul 2018 17:04 #541033 by kate

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is about to carry out a second round of nationwide milk testing, checking the country's dairy herd for the presence of Mycoplasma bovis. Under the programme, milk samples from every New Zealand dairy farm will be taken shortly after the start of calving, when cows are most likely to be shedding the bacterium. Samples will be collected from each farm approximately 4 weeks following the start of supply, with the first samples expected to be collected in the North Island in late July. More information on the milk testing at this link .

From the information linked to:
"Samples will be collected from each farm every 2 weeks up to a total of 6 samples over 12 weeks and tested by Milk TestNZ. Tests will look for both the presence of antibodies to Mycoplasma bovis and also the DNA of the bacterium."

Web Goddess
hoah.kiwi
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2018 17:05 by kate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

• Thank you received: 321
18 Jul 2018 17:20 #541034 by LongRidge

...so if you buy calves during the 4 weeks from the start of milk supply, expect to have to get some or all of these calves blood tested :-(

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds
Go to top